It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User
Triple Athrodesis and Running?

I have been ALL over the internet looking for an answer to this question; what are my chances of being able to run again AFTER my triple athrodesis?

(I also have to get an achilles tendon replacement with my FHL, and my heel shaved down because it protrudes because of my faulty achilles.)

I'm mainly worried about the Triple. I've had an achilles surgery before (re-ruptured) and I know about the recovery process. I put off the surgery to go to Afghanistan in a brace that keeps my foot completely immobile at a 90 degree angle. I went on over 50 patrols in 60 days. I tell you this to let you know, I can deal with some pain. That being said, there are days that are worse than others!

My worry, I am 27 years old, I have a newborn, I want to be able to run around and play with him when he gets older! Right now, I am athletic, I KNOW I can't stay in the Marine Corps after the surgery, I'm fine with that, and have already started college courses.

Will I be able to run?

If so, is it just painful, or is it impossible?

If I put off the surgery are their bracing options?

And, if I can't run, has anyone decided to just go through with an amputation? If so, what were your results?

I have my pre-op in a month and am scheduled for surgery in January. I deeply appreciate any insight that can be offered. Thank you so much!

Dave

Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Triple Athrodesis and Running?

I'm not a doctor and only had a single arthrodesis (subtalar), so this is all solely my opinion.

From what I've heard and read, running long distances is out of the question. But I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, for example, play tag with your son, or run and play catch.

I hike mountains for a living and fear the same thing, if I can get back to doing what I love. I was told it's possible, just harder because your foot won't move the same way it used to. You need to retrain it.

Good luck with everything, I hope you get it all sorted out!

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Hi Dave, I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to commend you for serving our country while putting your own suffering aside. My surgery was different and one surgeon told me I would not be able to run again. I haven't been able to run much the past few years due to my foot and ankle problems. It is really depressing to me to not be able to play basketball with my son. I used to love to play....I haven't been able to play the past year....just the thought of leaving that part of my life behind, brings me to tears.
I admit I have looked at some amputees who seem to be doing it all, and wonder if that would just be easier. Drs try to save our natural parts....I wonder if it is always for the best....I also know amputees who live very limited lives.
I hope your surgery is successful and wish you well with your recovery. If we just had a for sure answer it would make life easier!
God bless!
Bonnie

Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Hi Dave! I had a double arthrodesis. My surgeon told me that I would be able to run again but that he didn't recommend it. I had been an avid softball player. He said by those joints being fused that it would put an extra stress on the joints that are not fused and in turn they would deteriorate faster. I had the subtalar arthrodesis and talonavicular arthrodesis. Good luck to you!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #5
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcdave0331 View Post
I have been ALL over the internet looking for an answer to this question; what are my chances of being able to run again AFTER my triple athrodesis?

(I also have to get an achilles tendon replacement with my FHL, and my heel shaved down because it protrudes because of my faulty achilles.)

I'm mainly worried about the Triple. I've had an achilles surgery before (re-ruptured) and I know about the recovery process. I put off the surgery to go to Afghanistan in a brace that keeps my foot completely immobile at a 90 degree angle. I went on over 50 patrols in 60 days. I tell you this to let you know, I can deal with some pain. That being said, there are days that are worse than others!

My worry, I am 27 years old, I have a newborn, I want to be able to run around and play with him when he gets older! Right now, I am athletic, I KNOW I can't stay in the Marine Corps after the surgery, I'm fine with that, and have already started college courses.

Will I be able to run?

And, if I can't run, has anyone decided to just go through with an amputation? If so, what were your results?

I have my pre-op in a month and am scheduled for surgery in January. I deeply appreciate any insight that can be offered. Thank you so much!

Dave
Hi Dave, I recently had a triple arthrodesis and I am in week 8 . I am much older than you and do not run so I have not asked my doctor that question. There was another young man on this site last week that asked the same question as yours. He is a part time police officer looking to go full time, therefore, needs to be able to run. I advised him to go through some old posts where someone asked that question and got favorable responses. I can tell you the triple A that I had was severe as my arch had completely collasped. My doctor is renound for doing this surgery and I have total confidence that I will be so much better when the healing is finished. After 8 weeks I can see the swelling almost gone and I start PT in another week. When I go see him next week for my evaluation about starting PT I will ask him about running and let you know what he says.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Thank you all for posting! I really appreciate any feedback.

Powerplay, I did read your response to the police officer in his thread. I appreciate you being willing to talk to your physical therapist and asking him/her.

Kanner, I heard about a brace that is supposed to help with the fusion for things like softball, basketball etc. My doctor said she may be able to get me approved for it if everything goes well. I guess they are making it out in Texas.

Bonnie, you really cut to the heart of my reason for posting. Not being able to play basketball with my son would be terrible! I want to be there for him in every way possible. Not only do I want to be able to run around with him, but I am a fit person. I enjoy being active. Right now my pain is manageable, I don't want to be a bad thing worse. That being said, it worries me to get out without getting the surgery. My surgeon said my other foot will have to be done in the next five ten years, and my right one (the bad one) should be done immediately. It's a scary place to be. There are days when the pain is terrible and I find myself walking on the outside of my foot, so what if I put it off and it gets way worse and then I really have no hope of being active with him at all?

Liz, I'm hoping I may have a leg up with the re-training. I've been basically using my foot as a peg for the last year or so. I have no push off power at all. I am not expecting a "normal" run. I haven't ran normal for a while.

Again, thank you all.

I am still very curious to see if anyone has had the triple bone fusion and is really able to continue being athletic? I am not contented with short distances, and minor stuff. I really want to know if I can get out there and run 5 to 7 miles, play basketball etc?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Thank you all for posting! I really appreciate any feedback.

Powerplay, I did read your response to the police officer in his thread. I appreciate you being willing to talk to your physical therapist and asking him/her.

Kanner, I heard about a brace that is supposed to help with the fusion for things like softball, basketball etc. My doctor said she may be able to get me approved for it if everything goes well. I guess they are making it out in Texas.

Bonnie, you really cut to the heart of my reason for posting. Not being able to play basketball with my son would be terrible! I want to be there for him in every way possible. Not only do I want to be able to run around with him, but I am a fit person. I enjoy being active. Right now my pain is manageable, I don't want to be a bad thing worse. That being said, it worries me to get out without getting the surgery. My surgeon said my other foot will have to be done in the next five ten years, and my right one (the bad one) should be done immediately. It's a scary place to be. There are days when the pain is terrible and I find myself walking on the outside of my foot, so what if I put it off and it gets way worse and then I really have no hope of being active with him at all?

Liz, I'm hoping I may have a leg up with the re-training. I've been basically using my foot as a peg for the last year or so. I have no push off power at all. I am not expecting a "normal" run. I haven't ran normal for a while.

Again, thank you all.

I am still very curious to see if anyone has had the triple bone fusion and is really able to continue being athletic? I am not contented with short distances, and minor stuff. I really want to know if I can get out there and run 5 to 7 miles, play basketball etc?
Hi Dave
your last paragraph indicates a frustration about not getting an answer about running but the answer is available in this site if you take the time to find the post that goes back a few years from a person who ran and was having a triple arthro too. Contact this person who is also young like you and she will be able to advise you. You say you "searched the internet" but now you need to search on this site.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
(male)

no
Quote:

Will I be able to run?

Dave
Hi Dave,
I promised you that I would discuss with my Dr. when I met yesterday and I did. He said not likely that you will be able to do any sports that requires jumping ie. running, basketball etc. but you will be able to sprint if need be. After 10 weeks of NWB I am now full weight bearing as of yesterday and I was very pleased that there is absolutely no pain as I stand on my new fused ankle. I am twice your age and if that is my outcome, your recoverery should be better. Make sure whoever is doing this surgery is the best in your town - don't settle for mediacrity.

Last edited by Powerplay; 12-09-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: wrong word meant to say I am now full weight bearing

The Following User Says Thank You to Powerplay For This Useful Post:
Usmcdave0331 (01-04-2013)
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
(female)

CgrBuff HB User

My surgeon said he did a triple on a runner who went back to running. That's just one example but he shared it with me as an example of being able to return to normal activity post surgery. Good luck.
CBuff

The Following User Says Thank You to CgrBuff For This Useful Post:
Usmcdave0331 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

CGR and Powerplay,

Thank you both for your responses. I did look more through the forums on this website and found some good stuff but I do appreciate your asking your doctor for me.

I have my pre-op on January 15th and my surgery on the 31st.

I am very nervous. It is good to know that there are people out there running after a TA. I still will have to give basketball a shot, it's not like I'm that good to begin with!

I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
(male)

Quote:
CGR and Powerplay,

Thank you both for your responses. I did look more through the forums on this website and found some good stuff but I do appreciate your asking your doctor for me.

I have my pre-op on January 15th and my surgery on the 31st.

I am very nervous. It is good to know that there are people out there running after a TA. I still will have to give basketball a shot, it's not like I'm that good to begin with!

I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Well I can tell you my status after having a triple A and archilles lengthening 14 weeks ago today. I came of of my walking boot last Sat after week 13 and wear a temporary ankle brace that fits right into my sneaker. I have no pain whatsover standing on my ankle even barefooted. The brace it used to make sure my ankle stays stable and doesn't turn in or out. I suspect he will let me take if off after next visit in 2 weeks and then just normal exercise. I am not restricted in the amount of time standing or walking. I do have a slight limp and I assume will take another 3 mos before that slowly disappears. The key with you pending surgery is the amount of time completely non weight bearing. For me that was 10 weeks. You definitely need to get a knee walker as it will make your time go alot faster and give you the mobility to get around. If this is your right ankle you will need to drive with your left foot as I did which is not difficult.

The Following User Says Thank You to Powerplay For This Useful Post:
PesCav (01-25-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Powerplay,

That sure is good news to hear today! I'm looking forward to potentially standing barefoot without pain. I got my triple athrodesis and achilles surgery yesterday at the balboa naval hospital.

My surgeon said I will never run again. She said if my kid was in traffic I would be able to run him down and get him out of danger. But I went and talked to the physical therapist who got me healed up enough after my achilles surgery to get out the door on the deployment when everyone said I wouldn't. She told me "you're far too stubborn to not run again. We'll get you up and running!" And I believe her. I told her I want to be able to beat my kid at basketball for the next 18 to 20 years. She told me "you will play basketball. It will be a bit janky. But you will play."

So everyone take it for what it is worth. What I get from all this is; it's up to you. I am going to start a thread and keep everyone updated on my progress.

God bless. Take care. I am about one day out, the pain is pretty rough. The doctor told me "It's going to feel like your foot got hit by a sledgehammer." It does.

I will start a new thread for all those young athletic types who want to know what to expect.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Powerplay,

That sure is good news to hear today! I'm looking forward to potentially standing barefoot without pain. I got my triple athrodesis and achilles surgery yesterday at the balboa naval hospital.

My surgeon said I will never run again. She said if my kid was in traffic I would be able to run him down and get him out of danger. But I went and talked to the physical therapist who got me healed up enough after my achilles surgery to get out the door on the deployment when everyone said I wouldn't. She told me "you're far too stubborn to not run again. We'll get you up and running!" And I believe her. I told her I want to be able to beat my kid at basketball for the next 18 to 20 years. She told me "you will play basketball. It will be a bit janky. But you will play."

So everyone take it for what it is worth. What I get from all this is; it's up to you. I am going to start a thread and keep everyone updated on my progress.

God bless. Take care. I am about one day out, the pain is pretty rough. The doctor told me "It's going to feel like your foot got hit by a sledgehammer." It does.

I will start a new thread for all those young athletic types who want to know what to expect.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Let the healing begin!!! Keep ahead of the pain! The first few days are the worst....rest & relax!!!
I wish you well!! BB has begun for my jr high aged son....sure would love to be on the floor with him rather then sitting the bench!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Pain gets so much better after the first couple of days-- hang in there and take advantage of your meds. I hope you can figure out how to run again, but even if you don't, you will figure it out with your kids. :-)

Closed Thread

Tags
amputation, recovery .., running, triple arthodesis, triple arthrodesis surgery