It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User
Plantar Release Surgery

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who had this procedure in the last 2-3 years. Would like to hear the good and bad.

I just scheduled surgery for PTTD in February. Prior to the PTTD I had Plantar Fasciitis for over a year that wouldn't go away.

Have had two opinions both recommending surgery for the PTTD. The second one, the one I am going with due to expertise and experience, said he may consider doing a Plantar Release. We meet in January to go over everything.

Haven't seen anything positive about this surgery. Feedback welcome.
Thank you!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
(female)

teil3156 HB Userteil3156 HB User
Re: Plantar Release Surgery

I had a plantar fasciotomy in April 2009. It took some time, and a few cortisone shots after surgery, but the bulk of my left heel pain has subsided. I still get some soreness after alot of standing and walking. It is nowhere near the kind of pain I had before the surgery. Also, the other thing I was left with afterward was some nerve issues. The incision is on the inside of my heel and if I rub my finger along it I feel it on the outside of my heel.

As far as recovery... it isn't ball that bad. I was non-weight bearing for 3 weeks. Then another 3 weeks at partial weight bearing. My doctor told me that ideally I could go back to work at 8-12 weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to teil3156 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi, well mine hasn't been in the last 2-3 yrs but I thought I'd post anyways. I had a small incision inside of my heel, can't remember how long I was NWB, I just wore a surgical boot though. It did hurt right much afterwards but I also have fibromyalgia and have a low pain tolerance.

Its great now though and am so glad I had it done! I suffered for at least two years with it. Its as if I didn't have it done except my arch is a little lower on that foot and I have no pain!! good luck, Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Teil3156 and no34evr - Thank you for your responses! You've given me hope.

I had read quite a bit in the archives and it sounded like the majority of the people who had the procedure in 2008 and before were not very pleased. It's good to hear that this procedure does help some and perhaps over the years the procedure used has been improved.

There is a possibility that I will have this procedure in addition to surgery for PTTD. I already know I'm going to be very limited for a good year or longer.

Thank you again, these boards are so helpful!

Closed Thread

Tags
plantar fasciitis, plantar release, pttd