It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Beemer09 HB User
Unhappy Foot Problems

I need help!! I had surgery 10/22 for lengthing the Achilles' tendon, replaced tendon on inside of foot and additional repair for fallen arch. I have been non- weight bearing since surgery, seen the doc x3 because I was having so much heel pain, which is sharp, burning, numb and tingling. Cast was changed each time. I was prescribed Flexiril and Neurontin for muscle spasm and nerve pain. My foot had turned inward, so at last visit they had to straighten my foot and stretch ligaments. VERY painful. Can someone tell me what I can expect for rehab, does the nerve pain get better and when u started work. My job requires me to b on my feet most of day. Tell me this gets better! Right now this sucks! Any advice appreciated!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

jessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB User
Re: Foot Problems

Hey Beemer,

I had the lengthening of the Achilles' as well. I had a subtalar arthordesis. I also had the heel pain as well.

It gets better. I thought for awhile there I wasn't going to be better. I was walking full weight bearing at 6 1/2 weeks and am returning to work where i am a three year old childcare teacher on Monday. I am in a shoe and driving and i had surgery on September the 7th.

Hang in there. I also had no PT either.

You'll make it, what i learned was it certainly takes time and a lot of patience, none of which I had at the time.

((hugs))
~Jessi

The following user gives a hug of support to jessi404:
ginger62 (11-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi I had achilles reconstruction, it is a slow process. I remember the heel pain. when I start PWB I bought one of those gel heel inserts and stuck it in my boot to help w/ cushioning, that help a lot. If you have any problems w/ the neurontin (side effects) there are some other meds out there, lyrica, topomax. (others probably). Be careful w/ the neurontin it will put weight on you very very quickly, the topomax has the side effect of weight loss.

but you take what works for you. they all cause fogginess, tingling. topomax can cause kidney stones so they recommend you drink a lot of water w/ it.

I have fibromyalgia so it takes me longer to heal. I ended up in therapy three different times the third time I did water therapy and it REALLY did the trick. Don't know if you have that available but I would give it a try. I kept getting tendonitis in my calf. I did water walking in the pool to stretch it out.

good luck, Cathy

Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

Beemer09 HB User

Thanks Jessi
So you have been recovering for abt 12 weeks? The heel pain is awful. Other than pain meds, anything u did to get some relief?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
(female)

Beemer09 HB User

Hey Cathy,
In regard to the Neurontin, is the weight gain because your appetite increases? I feel like I'm putting weight on but I'm also sitting around all day and then I snack. Is it easy to take off weight after stopping Neurontin. That's what I need on top of the surgery! Thanks for the info!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

well from what I understand (I could not take it) it put water weight on and makes you eat. so be careful there. Cathy

Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Hi Beemer! I had Subtalar arthrodesis, talonavicular arthrodesis and achilles lengthening in April 2012. I was reinjured in pt in August breaking my subtalar arthrodesis and am currently scheduled for revision surgery January 16th. Before my re-injury I was in shoes and walking.

When I first began walking my main complaint was that my heel hurt so bad. I said something to my doctor and he told me that it was probably some plantar fascitis from being immobilized for so long. Prior to surgery I had never had issues with my heel hurting. He told me to freeze a water bottle and roll it on the bottom of my foot every day. You can also put more padding in the bottom of your boot/shoe within reason. I wouldn't pile anything too high as it would almost be like walking with a slight heel.

I am not a doctor though. I only speak from experience. I hope you find some relief soon!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #8
(female)

jessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer09 View Post
Thanks Jessi
So you have been recovering for abt 12 weeks? The heel pain is awful. Other than pain meds, anything u did to get some relief?
I had the heel pain with itching during the 4 to 5th week post op. I took pain pills with benadryl to curb the itching. I found icing it helped A LOT!!! I still ice it and I'm walking and in a shoe currently. But yeah, icing helped a lot too.

~Jessi

Closed Thread