It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

banker0007 HB User
Smile Topaz surgery for PF

I had topaz surgery on my left foot for PF this past Monday. I am currently in a plaster like cast and non-weight bearing. I am very hopeful that this will cure or at least greatly improve my PF that I have had for many years. My right foot is also not in the best of shape but I will try this and then proceed to my right foot later.

Just wanted to share my experience as I have dealt w/this for quite some time w/no luck with less aggressive methods.

Please feel free to share what worked for you as I would love to hear since I'm still sitting here w/one bad foot.

Last edited by banker0007; 11-29-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

sammi3 HB User
Re: Topaz surgery for PF

Can you explain this type of surgery? Never heard of it. I had cryosurgery for pf. I had to have it done twice. It worked the second time, but I had some set backs that I'm still dealing with 6 months out.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammi3 For This Useful Post:
Troly59 (12-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

banker0007 HB User

It is where they take a small rod and poke holes into the fascia in a grid-like pattern where the most pain is. You can see a video of it online if you search for it. I have not heard of cyrosurgery. What is that? What kind of set backs are you dealing with?

Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
(female)

sammi3 HB User

There is a lot of information on the web about cryosurgery. But basically they freeze the tissues/nerves that are causing the pain. They numb the foot and make a very small incision and use a probe that is freezing . You then have to take it easy for like three days. Then you can sort of get back to your life depending on how you feel. My setbacks are of course like 1% of people get. My incision site got infected. I won't get to into to it, but my drs. were not to smart and stitiched me with a major infection. It was a long road to feeling better. Then a couple of weeks ago a cyst formed where the incision site was. But I have to say that the pf pain is gone, though I have not really been able to enjoy my pain free foot b'c of all these set backs which have been very painful.
Would love to know how your recovery is going?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

banker0007 HB User

Today is day 5. I am supposed to be non-weight bearing, however, kinda hard to do w/a 2 year old. I am trying my best. also, I have crutches and they have made my other foot and upper arms sore since I'm using them to bear all of my weight. I already had probs w/my right foot so trying to tape it and wear good shoes to help since I know it is going to be taking most of the weight for a little while. I go back to the doctor for first post-op a week from today. He is talking about putting me into a boot then, however, I may request a cast as last time I was in the boot for a month, the boot didn't fit correctly and I know they can be more custom w/a cast. I have flat narrow small ankles so shoes have always been a problem for me and possibly the cause of my PF.

I hope you start to feel better soon!!!! I also am hopeful that mine will be fixed after this is over but it is hard right now with being busy trying to get ready for Christmas and all the happens during this time of year.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
(female)

sammi3 HB User

My daughter is 2 also, will be 3 in Jan. It is very hard with a child to recover. When I had the stitches I had crutches and was told NWB. My right foot has a neuroma, and my arms too become so weak. I couldn't do it. I have been dealing with feet problems for over 6 years. My fear is as my daughter gets older how much walking I'm going to be able to handle. I live in NJ and going to the boardwalk, etc...is such a problem with all the walking. Just going to the supermarket or mall is tough.
Well, hopefully you will feel better soon. LIke I said my pf is better, but with many set backs.

Feel good,
Melissa

Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

I have two children am dealing with NWB... Had to do it for 6 weeks also last March. If you can, consider renting a knee scooter. Even for a short time, it is incredibly helpful. I have stairs in my house and even so, I use one. Good luck you guys!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
(female)

banker0007 HB User

Yes, I had done pretty well w/NWB until today when my daughter was at the house all day as she goes to daycare during the week so today was first day all day w/her. It was just really hard to do so I definitely was not NWB today and am paying for it a little bit tonight. I purposely did not take any pain meds so I would at least monitor how things felt and I'm not in that much pain but have had to re-wrap my wrapping as it is coming a little loose from the activity and do almost feel like my foot has that feeling a little bit like when your foot goes to sleep and it is tingling. I don't want to ruin what has been done and saw on a presentation that NWB can be only for a few days but believe I better "behave" more tomorrow and next week.

I had gotten to the point where I was doing very little "extra" walking. Cleaning the house on the weekends would make it flare up worse as I was doing more activity on weekends then I do at work during the week. Hopefully I can be more active one of these days although my right foot was just about feeling worse prior to surgery than my left as it had been taking all the weight when my left foot was in a boot for a month trying that and PT and celebrex b4 the decision was made to go ahead w/surgery. The fascia there is also tight but has never given me the probs my left foot has so I will wait and see what happens and maybe a year or so from now have my right foot done if it doesn't get better.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
(female)

banker0007 HB User

I have thought about renting something as I don't feel as if I could go grocery shopping right now and plan on doing Christmas shopping online. I have crutches and also a one leg crutch but haven't tried that yet as I have already fallen 2x since surgery due to being clumsy and not paying attn to what I was walking on. First time I slipped on my scarf as it had fallen to the floor in our house (we have wood floor in the kitchen area) so I feel hard and fast but fell pretty decently so don't think I did much damage since my foot is kinda in this plaster/gauze/wrap cast. Next time I fell and landed back on the couch because I had tripped on something in my way and was not paying attn and, of course, trying to go too fast on the crutches. I can tend to be clumsy at times.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
(female)

sammi3 HB User

I'm pretty much a stay at home mom. I work two days a week, but part-time. So I'm always with my daughter. When I first had the procedure in April then it got infected we were home a lot. It then became the summer so it was so tough, but we made it through. Luckily my husband helps out a lot, but he is facing a major foot surgery this summer. It's going to be a long recovery meaning I will have to do everything.
I know it's so hard, but really resting the foot is the best remedy.

Feel good,
Melissa

Old 12-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
(female)

banker0007 HB User

so what kind of part time work do you do? Do you do it from home or go somewhere? Part-time would be my dream but it isn't the right time right now. A 2.5 yr old and a soon to be 11 yr old. I work full time outside of the house and she goes to daycare at a center during the week. It is soooooooooo hard being non-weight bearing and I really was bad yesterday as I just wanted to be able to do some cleaning and do things as opposed to having to be waited on. Last time I had surgery was 10 years ago and it was my ACL. At that point, it was much easier as a lot less chaos, but seemed to be more painful afterwards.

So what is your current status on your foot? What % do you consider yourself recovered? Also, what is your husband going to have done?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
(female)

sammi3 HB User

I actually work for my dad. He is an accountant. This is not what I prefer to do since I was a teacher for 8 years, and got laid off after I had my daughter. But with my many medical issues it's the best place for me at the moment. I pretty much have been averaging a surgery a year for the past 5 years. I have had hernia surgery, three knee surgeries, a c-section, then my two foot procedures. So I totally understand how hard it is to not be able to do things. My daughter was six months old with my second knee surgery, then 10 months old with my third knee surgery, then 2 with my foot procedures.
My foot is sore at times, but the cyst was removed. It can return, and knowing my body it will. It was very painful. But I have to say that my pf is gone, but my foot is still sore at times. My feet just suck. They are sore a lot, and I can't wear any of the "cool" shoes anymore.
My husband has an accessory navicular bone on his right foot that is giving him problems. He needs to have a kidner procedure, achilles lengthning, and an osteomy (sp?).

Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
(female)

banker0007 HB User

When did you get the cyst? Was that from the incision or part of the surgery?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
(female)

foxandhound HB User

Hey guys, just wanted to know more about your history with PF. How long did you have it? Where exactly did it hurt..heel, arch, etc? Did it hurt after activity or did it hurt only in the morning or after sitting, but it would warm up when you became active??? Do you have flat feet? Any idea what mechanics caused it?

Hope you guys heal well so more of us can start to realize that we dont have to live like this.

I'm in my late 20s, I have suffered for 2 years and I am now getting ready for more aggressive approaches like topaz, shock therapy, or cryo. My pain is only in the arch and it happens from activity. I have flare-ups where I have to sit down and massage or ice for a long time before I feel better. Walking, standing, and tasking was so easy and fun, now walking around the house can be a nightmare. I have flat feet, over-pronate, all that fun stuff!

Last edited by foxandhound; 12-04-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
(female)

banker0007 HB User

I have had mine on and off for at least 5 years. I thought it was normal for my feet to hurt as they always did and I always had a hard time finding shoes as my feet are quite flat and narrow. Mine hurt in heel and arch area. Moreso, right north of the heel area was the latest pain w/even the top of my foot hurting at times which I was told that it was due to not walking correctly and overcompensating for my foot pain.

When mine is bad, I may limp throughout the day. That happened last year when it was at its worst. 4 months and 4 cortisone shots later, it calmed down some but started again around Mar-Apr this year. My left foot is the one I had surgery on. The right foot is now sore, but I believe it is due to the weight it is bearing since I am non-weight bearing on my left foot. I need to wear shoes anytime I'm awake. this was hard to get used to as I always took my shoes off the minute I got home and walked around the rest of the night barefoot. I am trying to wear better shoes but know that there are even better shoes out there. I just have never spent tons of money on shoes and probably should be. I have worn insoles and done the icing but icing seemed to aggravate it more as it seemed like it tightened it more so warmth seems to help me. I am early 40s and know at minimum I have had it for 5 years. Sounds like it is extremely common and there are so many different "remedies" out there that you can spend a mint on trying everything. I went to two different podiatrists and now I go to an ortho surgeon that specializes in feet. I am hopeful that topaz worked, however, still only 8 days post op and expect it to take quite some time to determine if it did. I keep saying that if it does and my right foot stays sore that I will go back early in 2014 for that foot as I want to wait for a while to see the after effects and how things go w/my left foot.

My feet are skinny, narrow and I have worn poor shoes w/little arch support as I do not have an arch and when there is an arch in a shoe it makes my foot sore as my foot rubs against it. My ankles slant in a little and have forever. As a young child I walked later than I should have and they even tried special shoes on me as my feet are so thin.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
plantar fasciitis, topaz