It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User
Ditch the scooter, ditch the crutches, ditch the boot--Start walking. Wha?

Yikes! I just saw my doc for my 6 week post op visit. He said I don't have to wear the boot any more, don't have to use the scooter or crutches. Just go ahead and start walking. Yup. Just that easy. Ahem, really??

I'm thrilled to get the go ahead, but it doesn't just "happen", does it? Did you guys go from one stage to another really quickly? I feel like it should be more gradual. He said I could continue to use the aids if I needed, but there is physically nothing in my way to keep me from walking.

He took my foot and bent it back and forth pretty forcefully, too. He said it was really tight and I needed to loosen it up. Well, duh! It seemed like he was going break my foot off! He said I couldn't just sit there and gently move it up and down on my own, that I would need someone who wasn't afraid to cause me pain to literally push it back and forth. I said my husband would fit that description (lol, he was sitting in the room with me). He said I could do PT if I wanted to. I said yes.

So my head is kind of spinning right now. I thought I was doing pretty good going back to work at day 18 post op. Now I feel like I'm behind. I guess I better just give it a go. gulp.

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: LabGimp
angelee43 (11-29-2012), BrandiB73 (02-15-2013), LisaLouLou (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Ditch the scooter, ditch the crutches, ditch the boot--Start walking. Wha?

Dang! Good luck Katy!

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

jessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB User

Hey LabGimp,

That's basically what my doctor told me to do!!! I was fine and I was walking 6 1/2 weeks post op! I'm pretty much back to normal right now and didn't need PT either. Of course my surgery is a bit different from yours, but yeah, my doctor told me the same thing as well. He even forced my foot up and down quite rigorously too.

I had my surgery September 7th and am currently in a regular shoe and returning to work this upcoming Monday.

Just gradually take steps each day. YOU CAN DO IT!!! The only one holding you back is you. Start off on your feet for a half hour each day, build up to two, and then four and then you're walking all day long! Don't be scared. I was timid at first but was eager to return to living again.

((hugs))

~Jessi

The Following User Says Thank You to jessi404 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Hey LabGimp,
I had similar surgery to you (most of it)
I was out of the cast at 3.5 wks but I am wearing an ankle brace (hopefully for only 2 more weeks) with my runners.
I used 2 crutches for one day, then one crutch for another 5 days when I was out and about and then off them totally. A bit painful and strange at first, but it does get better. I had my surgery on Oct 6 - going to physio (or PT as you call it) and getting ROM back.
Once you get started you'll be okay

The Following User Says Thank You to angelee43 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

That's what my doctor told me as well, and I babied it a little until I saw my PT on Tuesday. He told me the same thing. He was pretty upfront about it, and made a good point. He said that now that it's as healed on the inside as its going to get, you are only prolonging the recovery by keeping the boot and scooter. This was in response to "Should I keep the scooter another month" and he said "If I were you, I'd return it today". After that, I went home, bought a cane and jumped to it. It was terrifying, but wouldn't you know it, I'm walking today.

It's scary as hell when they say "GO" but, for me at least, it was worth it, once I got that final shove.

I'm super sore today, but I also badly planned my day. PT for an hour this morning, walked around a bit, and then went to work for 3 hours. But the sore is doable, because that means I'm getting better.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to AdkLizard46 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Well Congratulations!! Yikes!!! I am at 5 weeks...if anyone grabbed my ankle or foot and yanked it around I think I would go through the roof!!! But good for you!! I lay in bed dreaming that I can just get up and walk on it. I have a feeling mine is going to go to that 8 week point. Still, I think I would ease into it. I remember once after recovering from a broken leg, I had been walking with out crutches just fine....I had walked maybe 4 or 5 city blocks to a store. In the middle of the store, I was done. I could not walk on it anymore. I had pushed a bit too much....had to call home for my crutches ....so keep a backup for when it gets fatigued...6 weeks off makes the leg weak.

Good luck!! Hope it goes well!
Bonnie

The Following User Says Thank You to tenderfoot For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Woof! I remember that 6 week appointment and the manipulation of my ankle last may. Oh my... Thought I'd pass out. Walking came much faster than I thought it would... I ditched the crutches in about a week!

Good luck!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

Wow!! Thank you all SO much for your useful advice and support! Such inspiring stories from a group of truly awesome ladies. I also appreciate your giving me your timetables on when you got the "go" message until when you were walking. That helps so much! I feel like I can really do this.

I will definitely keep some back up crutches around. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of somewhere and not be able to walk!

I'm going to take my scooter to work tomorrow, but this weekend I am going to work really hard at actually walking. Just tonight, I have been standing up and shifting weight back and forth between feet--no boot, no crutches. I have had the boot off since I got home. I dug out a theraband elastic band and put it around my foot and have been pulliing and pushing against it. It's sore, but I feel like I'm on my way. I can't wait to sleep WITHOUT the boot tonight!

The doc didn't give me any further boot, but I have several ASO lace up boots. I think I will wear one to bed just to have some sense of stability and protection.

I had to wear the boot home from my appointment because I forgot to bring my other shoe! lol

I am having a new sensation tonight. It feels like a bunch of ants running up my foot and jumping off my toes. It comes in waves. It doesn't hurt or tickle, it just feels weird. Or maybe like a piece of silk being lightly brushed against my foot and then pulled across my toes. Hmmm. Anyone else have that feeling?

Thank you all again. You are all AWE-some!!

Katy

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Oh, now I am really jealous!!! You get to sleep with out the boot!!! Nighttime is so awkward and uncomfortable with the boot!

The following user gives a hug of support to tenderfoot:
LabGimp (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

That ants feeling is normal... Your nerves got moved and jumbled and it takes a bit to sort their paths out again. It does get better... But right before this second surgery (7 months after the last one) I still occasionally got that niggly wiggly feeling... But it does get better.

Remember to take it slow. My pt last time said if anything causes pain or achiness that lasts more than a day, it was time to ease back.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-30-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

I broke my heel 5 months ago, had surgery 2 weeks later, and started pwb in September. I am still not walking unassisted but I did have a sprain that set me back a few weeks. I am now able to walk with a cane but only around the house so far. I find that if I walk with the cane for a few hours, then sit down for a while, my ankle stiffens up and it't really hard to get up and walk again. I've gotten myself stuck that way with only my cane, and my walker and scooter in another room. For that reason I agree that you need a backup plan if you go out walking -- keep a walker or crutches in the car and don't get too far away from it, at least until you know your limits. I suggest starting out slow and let your body tell you what it can handle. You will have good days and not so good days. If you start out slow and practice walking a little each day you will make progress. And pt is a good idea.

Good luck!
Lisa

The following user gives a hug of support to LisaLouLou:
LabGimp (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

My doctor took my cast off n 4/2/12 which was 6 wks post-op and I went into the boot. He said I wouldn't be able to walk right away. It would take a bit and it took almost 2 wks for me to be completely weaned. Hang I'm there, you' ll get there!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hollywood48:
LabGimp (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
(female)

I actually took a bunch of tiny steps today!! Woo frickin' hoo!! I guess the docor brutalizing my ankle yesterday was actually a good thing. Who knew? It's pretty darn sore right now, but worth it.

I wore my ASO lace up brace to bed last night and I won't lie--it was fantastic! SO much better than the dreaded giant black CAM boot. I'll never wear that to bed again.

Two things I learned today:
1) I have been wearing the wrong socks this whole time. I have been wearing my cushiony padded hiking Thorlo socks. Turns out they have a band of elastic support that cuts right across my scar area in the front. This whole time I have been blaming the CAM boot for that area of sensitivity. I dug out some old socks that were pretty bland in the ribbing department. Should have just gotten some knee high plain athletic socks.

2) The scooter is not nearly as fun without the CAM boot. The pads of the scooter are pretty darn hard on the knee and the shin. Turns out the CAM boot was enough padding that I never felt that before. Another reason to ditch the scooter soon!

10-18-2012

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: LabGimp
ginger62 (12-01-2012), LisaLouLou (12-01-2012), Snowrunner (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
(female)

teil3156 HB Userteil3156 HB User

I am 7 weeks out from my surgery. About a week and a half ago my doctor told me to start walking without the crutches while using the CAM walker boot. I went to him today and he said to ween myself off the boot. I now have an ASO lace up brace for support. I have been walking without the crutches for about a week but still get swelling and pain in my heel. Even though I am not going to PT, I remember the stretches they gave me from the many other times I went. Even with the stretches my Achilles still feels tight. Hopefully it all goes away soon.

Good luck to all my fellow posters that are ditching the dreaded boot.

Closed Thread