It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
1 week post peroneal transfer update...

Hello! Thought it was time for an update.

I'm 10 days out from my surgery and doing well. I'm still in a splint and NWB but am in a new one. I went in Tuesday because the first splint was bothering me... I had a couple of times where my foot got really cold and had some bumpy spots that were driving me batty.

They took it off and found the inside damp... Not sweat damp but more. Probably had been that way since they put it on! There was also a ridge in the hard casting material at the bottom of my foot...

The new splint feels much better and I got a chance to see my scar. It's on the same spot as last time... I can't tell if its longer, but I think so. It looks Frankenstein-ish but good... The skin around it is swollen and red, but my nurse practitioner came in and said it looks good for this stage.

I took a pic to show off. Ha!

I also asked if I can get a new boot next week when it comes off... The old one is worn out and they agreed. Nice!

My nurse practitioner gave me a few tidbits about my surgery, but not much. She said they 'augmented' my peroneal brevis by combining it with the longus and rerouting the single tendon below my ankle bone. The two tendons used to bifurcate the bone.... But no longer. She says I should still have full control of my foot and should be able to run some day... I'm going to take it nice and slow...

Also found out that with tendon surgery, they want me PWB earlier because it prevents too much scar tissue from forming... Apparently ligaments need to be immobilized while healing but if tendons are immobilized too long, scar tissue build up is an issue. So with my last surgery, I had the ligament issue and that is the difference. I knew about the PWB, just not the why.

The pain med situation has been bothersome. I had spread out my meds to 2 5/325 Percocet every 6 hours and that was going well but I had a weird experience. On Wednesday night my breathing slowed down so much - I was so relaxed - that it felt like I was forgetting to breathe! That scared me so much that I stayed up until 2:30 AM to make sure I was okay... I got dizzy and fell (on my knee luckily) and the lights seemed to flicker... I stayed off of them all day yesterday and called my doc. The nurse said weird things can happen with Percocet... To try to take them on a full stomach.

I tried to just skip them last night but the pain was too much... I wasn't sleeping and kept accidentally moving my ankle in the splint as I fell asleep and then jolting back awake. So I took 1 and was able to sleep with no issues... That was around 9 last night... Made it until 4 when I woke hurting so I took another.

Right now I'm not hurting much and am elevating and icing with no new meds on board. I think it's bearable during the day... I think I'm close to being off of the meds.

I go back to work on Monday. It's a soft start as I won't be teaching. I am using my teacher work day and have a bunch of projects to work on. I got all of the materials early. Tuesday is a team day - all the k teachers (3 of us) will work on planning some units together... Weds I'm on and teaching along with getting my stitches out and splint off after school.

I'm looking forward to going back. I visited yesterday and attended a meeting after school. My kids are awesome and one was crying and saying she didn't want me to leave.

Well... Enough babbling! There's my update!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: 1 week post peroneal transfer update...

Great to hear you are feeling better! Crazy how long it seems, but how short at the same time with progress.

That's a terrifying Perc experience, I never had that. I would have been scared out of my mind. One thing I found was that I started taking a Tylenol PM to help me sleep and help with the pain. It didn't do much at all for the pain really, but it got me to a place where I could start to fall asleep. Then if I woke up in the middle of the night, I could just take one painkiller, or just force myself to sleep again, even if it meant I didn't sleep at all, I 'd be tired the next day and sleep that night.

Good luck getting back to work! I miss my real job terribly. This temp stuff is no bueno!

Big hugs
Liz

The Following User Says Thank You to AdkLizard46 For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pznatti View Post
Hello! Thought it was time for an update.

I'm 10 days out from my surgery and doing well. I'm still in a splint and NWB but am in a new one. I went in Tuesday because the first splint was bothering me... I had a couple of times where my foot got really cold and had some bumpy spots that were driving me batty.

They took it off and found the inside damp... Not sweat damp but more. Probably had been that way since they put it on! There was also a ridge in the hard casting material at the bottom of my foot...

The new splint feels much better and I got a chance to see my scar. It's on the same spot as last time... I can't tell if its longer, but I think so. It looks Frankenstein-ish but good... The skin around it is swollen and red, but my nurse practitioner came in and said it looks good for this stage.

I took a pic to show off. Ha!

I also asked if I can get a new boot next week when it comes off... The old one is worn out and they agreed. Nice!

My nurse practitioner gave me a few tidbits about my surgery, but not much. She said they 'augmented' my peroneal brevis by combining it with the longus and rerouting the single tendon below my ankle bone. The two tendons used to bifurcate the bone.... But no longer. She says I should still have full control of my foot and should be able to run some day... I'm going to take it nice and slow...

Also found out that with tendon surgery, they want me PWB earlier because it prevents too much scar tissue from forming... Apparently ligaments need to be immobilized while healing but if tendons are immobilized too long, scar tissue build up is an issue. So with my last surgery, I had the ligament issue and that is the difference. I knew about the PWB, just not the why.

The pain med situation has been bothersome. I had spread out my meds to 2 5/325 Percocet every 6 hours and that was going well but I had a weird experience. On Wednesday night my breathing slowed down so much - I was so relaxed - that it felt like I was forgetting to breathe! That scared me so much that I stayed up until 2:30 AM to make sure I was okay... I got dizzy and fell (on my knee luckily) and the lights seemed to flicker... I stayed off of them all day yesterday and called my doc. The nurse said weird things can happen with Percocet... To try to take them on a full stomach.

I tried to just skip them last night but the pain was too much... I wasn't sleeping and kept accidentally moving my ankle in the splint as I fell asleep and then jolting back awake. So I took 1 and was able to sleep with no issues... That was around 9 last night... Made it until 4 when I woke hurting so I took another.

Right now I'm not hurting much and am elevating and icing with no new meds on board. I think it's bearable during the day... I think I'm close to being off of the meds.

I go back to work on Monday. It's a soft start as I won't be teaching. I am using my teacher work day and have a bunch of projects to work on. I got all of the materials early. Tuesday is a team day - all the k teachers (3 of us) will work on planning some units together... Weds I'm on and teaching along with getting my stitches out and splint off after school.

I'm looking forward to going back. I visited yesterday and attended a meeting after school. My kids are awesome and one was crying and saying she didn't want me to leave.

Well... Enough babbling! There's my update!
Hi Pznatt, what caused your foot problems and why the need for a second surgery?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

I posted a long detailed post that explains it all... If you click my name, and choose posts by me you can find it!

Short story :
Surgery last march was supposed to be just a Brostrom procedure to shorten my ligament and a debridement to clean up my ankle. That part went well... Doc also found an inch long split in my peroneal brevis tendon. The doc sutured it but it didn't heal all the way. He thinks its because tendons don't get as much blood flow...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Patti, depending on the meds you're taking, a lot of them are scored down the middle so you can split them if you want. They depress your central nervous system so that may be why your breathing was bothered. Now, if you're not taking them during the day they'll have more kick at night so be careful (I'm sure you know all this already). Have fun at school! Little ones are the best. They always tell you exactly what they think. When I had my knee replaced 2 years ago and made my first trip to the market, my sis tried to encourage her son (6 at the time) to ride in the mobility cart with me. He said he couldn't because my butt was big like a hippo and there was no room for him! (It was true, I had gained 30lbs w/my injury). Fortunately, I lost it and 10lbs more that winter, haha...out of the mouths of babes.
Ginger

Old 12-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

Minnh HB User

Hi Patti,
I was glad to see your update. I am following your progress even though I have decided not to pursue surgery for now. I think I was in such shock to hear from my Dr. that my tendon wasn't torn that I wasn't able to remember all the questions I was planning to ask him about surgery. I wish I had asked him if they do PTT surgery on people without torn tendons but with collapsed arches like mine.
I'm sorry to hear you are still experiencing pain. However will you be able to manage going back to work so soon? I am confused about something...did you have both surgeries on the same foot?
Mary

Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

I did have both surgeries on the same foot... It just didn't heal all the way. I will post an update soon as I had my stitches out and got my doctor's report!

Closed Thread