It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
(female)

dscw133 HB User
Morton's Neuroma: RF Ablation-Dr? Success? Tried everything else...

I've had a Morton's Neuroma for years & have been researching (& trying) new & less-invasive treatments as long, wanting to try everything possible before surgery. I have just learned about the radiofrequency (RF) ablation option. Can't find any threads for anyone who's had success (or failure) with it, or a Dr. in LA who does it for MN's. So, throwing out to the universe: Anyone tried this? Anyone know a doc ANYWHERE who has a lot of experience with it? (Ideally LA or Chicago, though.)

Just in case it's helpful to some, here's my history: 1st signs of MN apx. 12 years ago. Did nothing 'til apx. 6-7 years ago. Here's what I've tried in terms of therapy since then, in chronological order:

--cortisone shots (3--no help)
--orthotics (some help, still wear them--make sure yours has a metatarsal pad in them, but there are various different types that can help MN's, depending on what may be causing your issue, ranging from the aforementioned pads to forefoot medial posting, to arch support, more hard structure vs. soft structure, etc.)
--cryosurgery (2 attempts, apx. 2 years apart: 1st=5 wks of pain/limping, minimal improvement overall; 2nd=walking after 2nd day, much more improvement immediately, but far from a cure)
--cold laser (apx. 4 times--a little help)
--alcohol injections/sclerosing (7 shots, each apx. 7-10 days apart; terribly painful, in worse pain and limping until after 3rd shot, continued to improve, but at treatment's end, am in worse pain than when started, no longer able to walk barefoot. fyi, my Dr. did not use ultrasound to guide--big mistake, I theorize)

Other things I've looked into or heard about other than surgery:
--Prolotherapy
--ART (Active Release Technique)
--Nerve blocking medicines (what, I don't know)
--Kenalog injections
--Botox
--Cymbalta
--E-stim

FYI, pain dr.'s (not any of the zillion podiatrists I've been to) now seem to think my neuroma is due to having hypermobility syndrome. have superflexible feet and toes, with rubbing over the years eventually causing the MN. If you think this might be you, you need to address the ongoing friction in your feet to keep MN from continuing to worsen, or coming back (if healed).

I wish you all well in your healing journeys, and welcome any info that may help me in mine. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Morton's Neuroma: RF Ablation-Dr? Success? Tried everything else...

I can only tell you my experience. I had mine removed surgically by a sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified. I would not have used a podiatrist. I walked out of the surgery center, off work that day only and was fine after that. I did have some swelling but nothing horrible or restricting. Have been fine ever since and that was almost 12 years ago.

Closed Thread

Tags
ablation, los angeles, morton's neuroma, podiatrist