It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User
PTT repair & tenosynovectomy

Finally had my posterior tibial tendon surgery yesterday. Sounds like it went well- he fixed a small tear & cleaned up some inflammation. I'm not 100% clear on what he did, since I'm getting the post-op info from my parents 'cause he talked to them. Basically, however, he reported that he "didn't need to do a ton- less than he even expected," and that "my recovery should be shorter than his original timeline" (which was 9 months to full recovery).

So- seems like a yay, overall!

The following user gives a hug of support to allykay:
ginger62 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: PTT repair & tenosynovectomy

That's a big yay! Make sure you rest up for a while and don't overdo it too soon.
Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks!!!! I'm pretty relieved! I haven't ran since Aug 2011, so at this point I truly don't mind if I haffta take 6-12 months until I can run/be active- as long as I can run at SOME point in my life again, I will be happy!

I'm a graduate student/college instructor, & it's my winter break, so I truly don't have anything to do for 7 weeks. I planned this to give me PLENTY of rest hehe

Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Smart girl. I have been on leave for 10 weeks so far. I really miss my job (and my paycheck), but I miss my real life a whole lot more...walking on the beach, playing with the kids. It has been 4 years. Can't wait to get back to it.
Toes above the nose for you. Breathe through the pain. The "block wear-off" stinks but you'll be through the worst of it soon.
Ginger

Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

4 years is so long, I can't even imagine- one year of dealing with this before surgery was even killing me. I miss able to go out with friends & spend a saturday at the mall, but funny enough- I definitely miss running the MOST!!

Where do you work?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

That's awesome! Glad to hear it went well! I was so happy once I was out of surgery and that part of it was over I felt like I could deal with anything else! I hear you on not really knowing what he did, since he talked to my husband and it was apparently in one ear out the other! He did say he did something differently with the tendon than he planned that took longer than he planned (i was in surgery just over 3 hours), but he said my long term prognosis should be much better as a result.

Take it easy and REST! Today was the first day I felt like I was past the anesthesia fog, but even still by 2 I was exhausted and needed a nap!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
(female)

When did you have your surgery?

Yeah, I still feel queasy when I eat from the anesthesia, & I'm sure I'll be in pain tomorrow when the nerve block wears off! I'm not even using crutches- my parents have been wheeling me into the bathroom & other than that I'm staying planted on their couch, lol.

For mine they said I'd be in there for about 90 minutes & it only took him 40.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had my surgery on Tuesday. I came home with the nerve block that wore off about 7 hours later, then two nerve blocks with catheters that lasted until last night. The pain so far has been VERY manageable, hardly even noticeable. The remainder of the catheter blocks are almost worn off now, and I feel some more pain than I have been, I'm dreading when it's completely worn off.

I haven't moved much either, I am using a walker, which I hate, but it's been easier going to the bathroom. I pretty much move from my bed, to the living room, and back and forth to the bathroom.

My next step is to try the crutches, I didn't want to try them out with my foot numb and feeling like it weighs 500 pounds.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Congrats! Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I'm going for a consult at HSS on Tuesday. I've got surgery booked in Boston for Feb. 4 but praying to get it moved up.

You're giving me hope!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
(female)

NCgirl- my nerve block wore off last night, & I'd definitely describe the pain as manageable as well. I don't have pain where I'm actually injured/where he actually cut, more that my whole leg hurts from this big, heavy boot! I'm hoping when I see him on Fri he might let me be able to wear the boot less than 24/7. We will see, though- I'm taking my vicodin simply because if I don't my leg soreness gives me restlessness & I get anxiety & wanna rip the boot off lol- vicodin makes me tolerate it better .

Good luck Exdancer! Best wishes that you get your surgery moved up! I had to wait 6 weeks for mine & it first it went by so slow & the last 2 weeks moved SO fast lol. & yeah, even though I'm super uncomfortable, I'm so happy to finally be here. I had SO many docs suggest I may never be able to run, & this guy was pretty optimistic before surgery that I would fully recover, & even more optimistic ever. He's got a great reputation for being one of the best ankle surgeons on the west coast, too, so I'm finally feeling so lucky! I just turned 24 a few weeks ago, & I'm really hoping by the time I get to 25 I just feel like I have my LIFE back

Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

allykay, Happy Birthday! (You are the same age as one of my daughters who is also in grad school). Please keep giving updates on your progress. Who knows, maybe when you are 26 you can run the Boston Marathon.

Good luck and sending hugs.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Good luck! Glad you didn't have to have the more extensive repairs & I hope you never do! Heel well!! Don't rush your recovery...don't want to mess it up....recovery can feel like forever...take advantage of the relaxation time!! I hate the boot also....so heavy & my foot never seemed to sit in there right.
I am 7 weeks post op just now able to be out of it for a while. I washed mine today....cuz it stinks...yuck...now kinda wishing it were dry enough to put back on as I still need the protection when moving around. Would hate to fall with out it protecting my foot.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
(female)

Thanks!! What is your daughter studying in graduate school?

And believe me, if I NEVER run a marathon I am perfectly okay with that. If I can eventually work up to between 20-30 mpw, ever, I will take that & not push it & be happy for the rest of my life

Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
(female)

allykay - My daughter is studying Mental Health Counselling finishing her MS and hoping to go on for her doctorate.

I was in NY yesterday for my appt. with the doctor at Hospital at Special Surgery. Without a doubt, the best doctor I had seen. I'm going with him. Surgery will be (hopefully) this January. I'm on a cancellation list so I will be driving down to NY very last minute.
Spent more time with me then all 3 OS I had seen in Boston. One had told me I "have a low threshold for pain." The doctor I saw (Head of Foot and Ankle) told me it was serious and surgery needed to be done sooner than later. I have never been so happy to have a surgeon tell me I need surgery!
I feel like a huge weight has been lifted.

I'll post shortly a new thread with all the details.
Good luck and hope you are resting comfortably and catching up on reading and some good movies.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

What did he say was causing your pain Exdancer? I'm happy for you to finally get some answers.
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread