It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User
Unhappy Calcaneal osteotomy on Thursday

Hiya
I am due to go for surgery on Thursday, I am feeling very scared and anxious, I have been reading these boards for a few months so, feel I may have the general idea of how recovery is going to go?

I'm not sure what I'm asking really, I just need someone to chat to, I am in the uk, married with a 14 year old daughter, so lots of physical help, just when they are all out at work and school, I know I'm going find it hard.

I am due to be at hospital for 07.30 GMT on Thursday, and the doctor has told me I will be in hospital for a min of 3 nights, I know this really silly, but when you are in hospital with the foot all done, and you need a wee? How does this happen? Sorry it's just I dread the thought of waking up, being desperate for wee and not making it, lol.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Calcaneal osteotomy on Thursday

Hi there,
I've found these boards to be super helpful, so I hope they can be the same for you.

I had a different procedure than you, but hope my experiences can help.

When you are in recovery, definitely look into getting a knee walker or knee scooter. I don't know how available they are in the UK, but it is so much better than crutches, in my opinion. I found the first 2-3 weeks after the surgery are the hardest.

As for the bathroom question--there isn't reall a comfortable way to go until you get mobile on crutches, etc. In my accident, I hurt my back as well, so I wasn't allowed crutches, so immediatly following my surgery I would call for a nurse and use a bed pan, and then for a few days after I went home I was using one. I know there are other people on here who were able to have a bedside commode and swing there body out of bed just enough to sit on that and then get back into bed. You might be able to get by with that. The nurses are used to questions of that sort, so whatever YOU need to make it comfortable they should do.

Hope that intro information can help, write back and ask away if you need to! The people here are great.

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Good luck Animal! I had to use a bed pan the first 2 days then when pain was a bit more manageable nurses helped me get to the lou on crutches. Initially after surgery while nerve block is in you should feel pretty good. When the nerve block wears off....get the drugs!!!! Practice relaxation breathing, it helped get me through between meds. You are lucky they are keeping you the 3 days! Some people get sent home the same day. I think that is insane, especially with this proceedure.

I think someone mentIoned they had a cathetar....a possibility. I didn't. Also, if you haven't had a bowel movement by day 3 ask for stool softener or laxative. The pain meds can cause constipation......but be careful with laxatives because getting to the lou in a hurry is a problem when you are home....ask my husband. : (

I wish you well....let us know how you are doing! People here understand. You will be resting and elevating while your daughter is at school....wait until someone is there to do anything else. Keep a cooler handy with icepacks, drinks or snacks...put drugs in one of those week long pill boxes so you can keep track of what pills you took and when. Enjoy a good book or movies....relaxing is nice at first but it does get old.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

You can push a button and someone will come help you. Sometimes you may have a bedpan. I for one had a bedside commode that I could just scoot over from the bed to the toilet. The second day I was crutching to the bathroom but would call for help at night just because I was so highly medicated. That is in USA though. I don't know how things work over there in the UK.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Thanks guys
I have got to the point where I am starting to think I cannot go through with it!
It is keeping me awake all night, and I am tired all day at school the next day.
Don't seem to of got anything ready?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

You'll be alright!!! It will take time but eventually you'll see that the little bit of discomfort now will be worth it in the long run.

I managed to get everything together (well my parent's did) in less than 36 hours with no prior planning. That included completely redesigning an office into a bedroom. So you have plenty have plenty of time to get things ready, and will have more time when you are in recovery.

Take some deep breaths. You got this!

The most important things (in my opinion) to have on hand before surgery (everything else can wait) is: stool softeners for the pain meds, a good book you've been meaning to read or a bunch of movies you've been meaning to watch, a bunch of pillows or a wedgy pillow to elevate on, and some ice packs.

Everything else can be acquired as needed.

Good luck!

Liz

The following user gives a hug of support to AdkLizard46:
Animal1968 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Don't back out now. The sooner you follow trough with it the sooner you are on your road to recovery. Everything will be okay
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
Animal1968 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Hi Animal, I'm having surgery, Chrisman-Snook, on Tuesday morning, so I totally understand your anxiety level, and I'm sure everyone here experienced the same anxiety levels prior to surgery. It's only natural. Don't think about backing out,,,,,,like the others have said,,,sooner done, sooner feeling better. you're going to be fine. I know your mind is thinking of all kinds of stuff,,,mine is too!! everyone here has been SOOOO helpful in sharing info and encouragement. You'll never get EVERYTHING done, but it's ok,,,you'll get the things done that are important. that's all that matters. We will all be here for you, we'll get through these surgeries, and we'll be here to discuss our recoveries! Good luck to you. jeannd

The following user gives a hug of support to Btrfli1:
Animal1968 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
(female)

Thank you everyone,
I am trying to be brave, should be ok during the day today, the kids at school keep me busy, it's the the nights that are not my friend, lol.

I know I have to go through with it, it is restricting my life so much already, btrfli1 hope everything goes well, and you are out and home soon.

Do you really think I will need a raised toilet seat? And for the bath do you think seat inside or seat bar that goes across top, is one better than the other??

Thank you again xx

Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have a seat that sits in the bath. A bar seat across likely will work too. I didn't have a raised toilet seat. It probably would have been nice though. I got by just fine without it. Don't forget a cast cover for showering. A definite must. Good luck to you!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Animal, I didn't feel I needed toilet seat. I found, for me, I felt more stable bathing in the tub. I have hand held attachment for washing my hair.......don't know what would work better for you.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
(female)

I didn't have a raised seat either. Just make sure you have things you can grab on to when you stand up.

I had a shower seat in my tub, since standing on one leg while holding on to a bar proved to be exhausting. I had a nice cast cover. I WISH(!) I had had a handheld shower head. It would have made life a lot simpler. Definietly look into one of those.

You'll be fine, keep breathing and soon it will be Friday and you'll be writing to us saying how sucessful the surgery was.

Best,
Liz

Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Animal, everyone's situation is different, as far as what ancillary equipment (covers, seats, etc). For me, it depends on how much help you'll have to take care of everyday needs, how stable you think you'll be on one foot, and what your dr recommends. Of course, I believe, recommendations of those here, who have lived through it, make the most sense!! My bathrooms are pretty roomy, so I have room to move easily, with the scooter, crutches, or a walker. plus to have a folding chair to sit in while drying, dressing, etc. You could always do a practice (try bathing, drying, dressing, with your bad foot outta the picture for support, to see how manageable it's gonna be for you. best wished for your surgery! jeanne

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had a calcaneal osteotomy among other things last week, and I have been very thankful to have a lot of help this past week. Pain wise, I was beyond surprised that the pain was very manageable for me, much, much better than what I was expecting. Until the nerve blocks wore off, I was not very comfortable moving around on my good foot, the fact that my leg felt so heavy and I couldn't feel it from the knee down I was really worried about hitting it on something and not knowing it, and it really was just difficult to move it. I used a walker to go to the bathroom the first few days, I found I could pull it up close to the toilet and really rely on it to get up and down. It wasn't easy, but I could do it. Now I'm comfortable going on crutches, but it took a few days to get there. My mom had a shower chair that I borrowed and my husband bought me a cast cover, so I was able to shower yesterday. It was soooo nice! It wasn't easy, and I wouldn't have been comfortable doing it without my husband helping me in and out of the shower (there's a small step into my shower I wasn't comfortable navigating on my own. I'd love to take a bath but my tub is one of the deep garden tubs and I can't figure out how I'd get in and out, even with my husband's help.

I will say, what I wasn't prepared for, despite reading it on here, is the exhaustion. The first night I felt like I was going to throw up getting from my living room to my bed - it's a short distance. I broke out in a sweat, I was nauseous, dizzy, it was awful. I was practically in tears. I am relatively young (in my 30s) and was relatively active prior to surgery, I can't imagine going through this as an older or less active person. But, it gets a little easier every day. I went to lunch with my family on Saturday, my first time navigating on crutches, and although I was exhausted when we got home, all in all it wasn't bad. My husband took me to lunch today, and I felt even better today and don't feel the overwhelming sense of exhaustion.

Sorry this is so long, guess I don't have antyhing else to do other than type right now!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi NC Girl, Wow,,,you're doing great!! Don't apologize for the length of your post,,,I found what you had to say interesting. Always good to hear from someone who is post surgery and feeling better each day. Glad to hear you were feeling well enough to get out of the house for a little while. I have a really hard time sitting still for too long and am easily bored. I know I'm gonna go stir crazy the first two weeks and am trying to plan accordingly with things to keep me busy. I have a deep, jetted tub in my master bath and found if I sat on the side, I could lower into the tub, while keeping the bad foot still on the edge. That's what worked for me. Also, dr ordered a knee scooter for me, which I hope won't be as tiring as the crutches and will provide a little more unassistance, once I get past the first few days. Hope you continue to feel better, but be careful not to overdo! Jeanne

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (12-10-2012)
Closed Thread