It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
What type of anesthesia?

Question for you all who have already had surgery. Please let me know what type of anesthesia you had, did any of you have block? were you awake when block was administered? , if block was used, how effective was it in pain management post surgery? Did you stay overnight or were you released same day? Any info you'd like to share is appreciated. Thanks, Jeanne

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
PesCav (12-11-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User
Re: What type of anesthesia?

Hi Jeanne,
I had general anaesthesia (light general, the surgeon called it). Also had a block which was administered by the surgeon once I was under. It started to wear off about 12 to 15 hrs later. I was in hospital for 2 nights with the option to go home after one night. The nurses kept checking my foot to see when the block started to wear off so they could start giving me oral pain killers to keep on top of the pain - which worked really well.
I had my surgery at 10.10am on a Saturday, it took 1hr and 40mins, back in ward at 12.30 (quick recovery), ate light lunch at 2pm. Was allowed out of bed on Sunday morning so physio could teach me to use crutches and got to practice with these in the hospital just going to the toilet for the next 24 hours. Discharged at 9.30am on the Monday. Had to keep my foot elevated with big toe above nose level for 23 and 3/4 hrs of the day (well, it probably ended up being 22 to 23 hrs each day) for the first 10 days whilst in back slab cast and then into fibreglass cast.
But each surgeon is different.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelee43 For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-08-2012), wooconley (12-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Hi Julie, Thanks for all the great info! My dr says I'll be down, with my foot elevated, 23hrs/day for a minimum of 10 days, splint for 2 weeks, hard cast for 2 weeks, then boot, then lace up brace,,,subject to change,,! I'll have a block, his preference is 1 night stay for pain management, but he said if I was doing well, I could go home if I wanted. How would I know if pain will be manageable at home, if block doesn't wear off u til 15-24 hours later? I had pre-op appt with him this week and he gave me prescription for pain meds, so I could fill and have here at home for post surgery, and his office is arranging with my insurance for knee scooter to be delivered(still haven't heard from them). I'll be following up on Monday!! I have crutches, but thought knee scooter might help me with better mobility. Gonna set up my recovery nest tomorrow with things to keep me busy while down. Thanks again for all the good info! Jeanne

Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

Great question!

I had outpatient surgery and had general anesthesia. I was offered an epidural instead but was told it wouldn't be a great option as I've had previous spine surgery, and I turned it down anyways.

Regarding the nerve block, prior to surgery my anesthesiologist asked my permission to give it to me in recovery in the event my pain couldn't be otherwise controlled, but said he didn't anticipate with my surgery that would be an issue.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

My surgery was at 7 am on a Friday morning. I was in surgery for 2.5 hours. I had general anesthesia. No block for me. It wasn't even mentioned as an option. I had to stay 2 nights in the hospital for pain management. I think I am almost glad I didn't have the block. I just had the pain from the starting gate so there wasn't a honeymoon period. Good to you on your surgery! Keep in touch!
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info, two hands. My dr says that the block is the best anesthesia for my surgery for pain mgmt. I'm sure it's because insurance companies always push to send patients home ASAP, and the block would ensure adequate pain control for the first 24 hrs at home. I know anesthesiologist will discuss with me prior to surgery, just want to ask everyone about their experience and what seems to work best. I know everyone reacts differently, but looking for info. Thanks everyone! Jeanne

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Lady, I'll be in touch. When you were in-patient, where pain meds through IV or oral? Other than pain mgmt, did they do anything for you that you couldn't do at home?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I had both IV and oral meds at the hospital. I was alternating Percocet and demoral. He wouldn't give me the go ahead to leave until the pain was managed without the IV meds and I was able to crutch two stairs (what I had to get into my house). Other than that no there really wasn't anything else. I had my brother helping out in addition to my mom and boyfriend. He's an RN and that was helpful. A few times between the Percocet I needed Tylenol for breakthrough pain.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Last edited by LadyKanner; 12-09-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Addition

Old 12-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

What kind of surgery are you having? I did not have a nerve block but was put out for PTTD and calcaneal osteotomy surgery. I dont think I would want one since surgery was outpatient. I want to deal with the pain from the beginning while at hospital and not when it wears off and I am at home. Had surgery at 1200 and released around 7pm. My worst pain was in recovery where they kept adjusting my pain meds until I was more comfortable. I asked for meds for brief nausea while back in surgical unit after recovery. Dont hesitate to ask for these. I learned this from another surgery. They quickly put something in the IV and fixed it up right away. The last thing we need is having to throw up while dealing with everything else. At home I took dilaudid, naproxen and tylenol muscle spasm meds. I was in a cast stright from waking up in recovery, had it changed numerous times and was in casts for 10 weeks before getting screws removed and going into an aircast. Stool softners are important if taking a lot of narcotic meds.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

My husband will be home with me and is very supportive of anything to take care of things here. The block just makes me nervous to be pain free at the hospital, then get home and the thing wears off!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. I'm having ankle reconstruction, Chrisman-Snook, using an allograft for the repair portion. He'll also take a look at the ankle and clean up scar tissue, etc. Surgery is at 730 and should take Btwn 1.5 and 2 hrs. Thks for suggestion of anti-nauseau meds and softeners.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Hi there,
For my surgery I was under general anesthesia along with 2 nerve blocks. They gave me some sort of relaxer before wheeling me out of the room (I don't really remember this one, but it apparently made me pretty loopy according to my mom), and then in the hallway outside of surgery they gave me another something because I started to cry (I was really anxious). That's when they also gave me the first nerve block. Then they wheeled me into the OR, and put the mask on my face and told me to breathe deeply. The last thing I remember thinking is "Damn, they didn't give me a number to count down to...this gas sort of smells (it smelled like musty air sort of, at least in my head---it probably smelled like nothing, lol)...I wonder if it's working............zzzzz" I woke up in the recovery room 5 hours later. And loopy as hell. I think I asked the same OR nurse what her name was like 5 or 6 time because I thought she was a different person each time she came over to check on me.

I was originally supposed to only stay in the hospital one night, but they couldn't get my pain under control. I also had a drain in my ankle that they had to wait to take out. My personal pain level was pretty high even with the block, but even with that they weren't on top of my oral/IV meds as much as they should have been. So when the block wore off, it felt like I had had my accident all over again. I was a mess. So it took them another 24 hours approx. to wean me off the IV drugs so that I could go home. Once I was home, I was on a pretty heavy narcotic drug regimen for about 1-2 weeks.

So that was my experience...it wasn't one of the best ones...I feel like I'm an exception a lot of times, so don't let mine scare you.

Good luck! And if you have any more questions, ask away!

Liz

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
(female)

tla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB User

I had bilateral 1st metatarsal osteotomies (double bunionectomy) the day before Thanksgiving. I had general anesthesia with ankle blocks and outpatient surgery. My surgery was around 11:30 and I was home eating soup by 2:00. The day of surgery I felt pretty darn good, obviously because of the blocks. I started pain & anti-nausea meds that evening. I took the meds on a strict schedule (kept a list of times taken so I could keep it straight) and did pretty well. I'd say my worst pain was around day 2 and 3 post op. I kept my feet elevated at all times unless I was scooting to the bathroom. I was allowed to use crutches immediately for 3-4 days but with all the pain meds didn't feel stable and preferred my scooting method. I was pretty unaware of the pain med side effect of constipation - a little shocking for me.
Good luck with your surgery!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tla921 For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

My surgery was on Nov 9th,12, I had general anesthesia, my surgery was out patient. my surgery was 1 hr 45 mins long. I did have the block it was in my thigh before I went back to have surgery done I told the anesthesiologist that I don't like needles and to see if he can do the block while I was out, he said he could do that so they did. When I woke up I was in pain, I remember moaning and when I was in recovery the nurse asked if I was in pain told her I was so they gave me more morphine in my iv. After that I felt fine they also gave me anti nausea meds in my iv. Before I was out from the anesthesia.. My surgery was s 8:30 am and I didn't leave until 3:30 pm they wanted me to take a pain med before I left to see if I would get sick after taking it.. I didn't know they wanted me to take it until 2:30 pm if I taken it soon I would of been out of there sooner. Also my pain management wasn't bad after the block came off, I stopped my pain pills 5 days out of surgery only took Tylenol for pain then.also when you get home take some stool softener I took them until I had to go. OK sorry for the long reply. Hope that helps you.

Last edited by erin4; 12-09-2012 at 08:06 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to erin4 For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi Liz, Sorry you had such a rough time of it, one of the worst I've heard of....I appreciate you taking time to share with me. I just wanted to see what everyone's experiences have been. I had a block with an elbow surgery. I was awake when anesthesiologist tried to get it into my neck, twice, and pain was enormous. He finally put me under, did the block, dr did surgery, and I woke up when everything was done. My dr said two blocks for this surgery,,,,one behind knee,,,one at ankle. I hope they put me out before!!

Closed Thread