It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

Bleachedblonde HB User
Smile Bunion & Hammer toe Surgery

I am a 40-something year old female exercise fanatic that just had bunion / hammer toe surgery on my right foot 5 days ago. I have a pin in my 2 nd toe & My orthopedic surgeon said he wants me to stay off of it for 2 weeks which is a bit overwhelming for me. When I originally went to see him to find out about my options he told me that I could go to the gym THE day I actually had surgery as long as I did the eliptical & did to run, so I was not as apprehensive about having this surgery. However, the day before I had my surgery when I went for my PRE-op appointment he said non weight bearing for 2 weeks which I was upset to hear but didn't complain. I have had no significant pain & have been elevating it icing it & baby-ing it since Wednesday morning 's surgery. I go back to have my foot re wrapped this Thursday & am hoping that my Dr. Will say that it is looking so good that I can go ahead and start putting weight on it, instead of waiting another 6 days. The ONLY concern I ever had about this surgery was the DOWN time. I am a swimmer & I run. The time out of the water is 6 weeks - period, on account of the pin in toe( infection) & that is understandable. The time off of running is 3 months. THAT is a LONG time. However, I am OK with this & have accepted it because even though my cardio choices are usually running or swimming I can live with cross training & know I can get the same benefits from doing other types of cardio along as I can do SOME cardio. I'm craving endorphins, & I am too hyper to sit here much longer. Anyone else out there struggling with this? I just wonder why he changed my non weight bearing time frame to 2 weeks when he originally told me that I would be able to bear weight on it the same day of surgery. He had already been over my X-rays & made the decision about my surgery & what procedure he would do. I guess I am hoping someone will say: " if you go back in on Thursday & your foot isn't really swollen ( which it isn't at all) & all looks good - he might say that I can walk on it." Haha.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

tla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB User
Re: Bunion & Hammer toe Surgery

Once the doctor opened you up he may have seen that there was more involved than initially thought. Just be patient and don't push yourself too hard too fast. You don't want to have to go through this again if you don't heal properly. I'm on week three and about to go crazy, but I'm trying to relax and do what I'm told.

Closed Thread