It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User
Re: PTTD - Surgery on December 17!

Poppyg1, yes, Belaire guest house. Are you familiar with it? We did walk through it to take a peak. Definitely convenient. It is pricey, they only had a one bedroom suite and my doctor's office said staying at a hotel is fine so we may switch.
I'm looking forward to the drive down on Sunday and just getting this over with.

I wanted to say good luck with your foot.
Best wishes

Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Check to see if they have reduced rates for hospital patients. The one I stayed at in Baltimore had a 50% discount.
If you don't bring a wheelchair with you, most facilities will not let them off the property...I had to take a cab across the street!
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User
I am one week post ptt with Dr. D at HSS. home now in lots of pain. Narco makes me loopy, and bladder slows down.

My husband stayed midtown for 5 nights. I am on Coumadin so 5 days Au HSS. BELAIR $600.

Be sure to rent a knee walker from a medical supply. You will get a walker when u leave HSS. I live in Ct, , buy a foam wedge for the car and pack pillows for the ride home. You will be exhausted upon arriving. Dr. D is the best.

I had the surgery last Frid. dec. 7th.

The knee walker gets me to the bathroom. Rent it. Hobbling is dangerous.

Although Dr. D is great, it is Kristine who answers questions. I go back to NYC on Thursday for the first cast. Right now the tingling is difficult. Narco helps, but side effects ensue. While in the hospital, there is not much pain. They keep the leg anaesthetized. Can someone tell me about ice? How does it get through the splint/cast?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 02-24-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Six posts merged into one.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I always applied ice to the outside of my cast. It isnt quite the same as applying to the skin but it does cool things down inside. You may even apply ice to the back of your knee.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Why do you need revision surgery? Same foot?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Poppyg1, They only had a one bedroom suite left and it is $525 per night. I think the studios were about $350. My husband wants to stay there due to convenience and since I will NOT be going anywhere. I booked the night before surgery at The Helmsley Medical Tower New York Presbyterian Guest Facility. A studio is $245-255. One bedroom suite is $300. We may switch over if we like it.

Pesher - Wow. I'm amazed that you are able to write. With regard to the pain, what did they give you? I have to admit pain is something I'm really concerned about as I'm sure everyone is.
Also, thanks so much for the advice on what to buy before hand. Because this is happening so quickly, I haven't been able to buy anything yet. We don't even have the Rx for items needed. Our plan is for my husband to buy/rent what I need and send it down with my son the following day.

They told me yesterday that I should plan to be in the hospital for 3 nights. Was there a reason you were in longer? I'm wondering if I may need to change my Belaire reservation again.
I've already spoken to Kristine several times and she seems really helpful as is everyone in the practice.
Any tips you can give me? I'm really, really anxious today and just wanted to get it over.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
(female)

Also, where do you get the wedge? Hospital?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
(female)

I bought the foam wedge at a med. supply store. You'll want it for the car ride home. And pillows for your back. I layed across the back seat, and hubby drove. I had the knee walker waiting at home. The hop thing w a regular walker is hard, and risky. NO WEIGHT BEARING! I had had a clot 4 years ago, so I am on Coumadin to thin the blood. That's why the extra days at HSS. I am thin, active, 65, and my whole family are doctors. Be a good advocate for yourself. The easy part is the hospital stay. After it's a challenge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
(female)

I'm 10 days ahead of you. So let's keep in touch. Remember, the surgery is easy. Don't worry. And Dr. D is renowned. You are lucky to have him.
Pesher

Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
(female)

How to shower? Do you still have to keep the foot elevated? Still pain? Thanks

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Pusher, I find it easier to use tub vice shower. I sit on the tub edge, facing so that the bad leg will be on edge of tub and lower I to tub. Keeps the bad leg out of water, I can still keep it elevated and dry. I find mobility in the tub better than trying to shower th bad leg down. I just had surgery on Tues, so I still have intense pain whenever my leg is down. Using the tub method, I've been able to bathe everyday, which makes me feel better! Hope this helps! Jeanne

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
Pesher (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #27
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User
Thumbs up Re: PTTD - Surgery on December 17!

Exdancer,so glad I checked the board tonight.First I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery 12/17. I am 3 months post-op 12/12/12. I am very interested in what your surgeon diagnosed you with, since you related heavily to my symptoms. You are having a lot more done than I did. I do not have flat feet. I had great help for 4 weeks.I felt I could have been home alone after 2 weeks as long as someone could shop, clean house and walk the dog. I purchased everything online,delivered, scooter,ice machine,wedge pillow,shower chair.
I have been in PT since week 8.2xwk. Painful lots of scar tissue to release. Graduated from the Aircastboot to a brace with a sneaker at 3 months. When the Dr said I'd have to relearn how to walk she wasn't kidding. I am out of work since Job requires me to be 100% on my feet. I'm trying not to freak out but it seems at this point it will still be a few more months. Can't tell if surgery has worked since I still have different pains ache, pulling arch,foot, leg, and swelling.
I am asking others who have gone before me, when did the multiple pains stop
for you ? I can only last about an hour walking very slowly, in the brace/ shoe.
It's a long haul, Netflix, iPad, music, books and my loving and loyal dog, have kept me going.
Anxious to hear from you and others .

The Following User Says Thank You to Troly59 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
(female)

I am now Eight days post surgery. The pain is still quite bad. The pain pills work but have side effects. My bladder has gone to sleep. Desperately trying not to have a UTI. It's a juggling game for me. And the constipation? Hopeful quiets down soon. I see the doctor this week For a fiberglass cast.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
(female)

Can't use the tub Because in my master bathroom it's a Jacuzzi. The regular tub is on a different floor. Going to try washing my hair in the sink today.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pesher:
Btrfli1 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

My master bedroom and bath are on my first floor and that tub is deep and jacuzzied. I tried both tubs, to see what I could work with, pre-surgery, and opted to use upstairs. We also have a large loft upstairs, which we use as a family room, and Btwn the couch with ottomans and the recliner, I've been very comfortable. Plus, hubby has room to sit with me, large tv for entertainment purposes,,,
As for hair, sink is good idea, just be careful not to get dizzy with your head bent over too long. I posted on another reply, but there is a product on the market for washing hair, while recovering. The hospital used on my Mom while she recovered from complications of radiation/chemo. It's a rinseless shampoo cap. Looks just like a shower cap, terry cloth lined. You warm it slightly in microwave, cove all your hair, like using shower cap. Massage hair, scalp, for about 5 minutes. Take off, and your hair is clean, smells really good, and it's as good as washing hair. Was able to style Mom's hair and let dry. Product was a godsend while she recovered. You cn get at any med supply store, online, or here locally, Walgreens carries a similiar product. A little expensive,,,,,$5-7 each, but nice to have to keep scalp clean, until you can do better. Most of us feel so much better with clean hair. Hope everyone has a better day! Good luck Pesher! Jeanne

Closed Thread

Tags
achilles lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy, hospital for special surgery, posterior tibial repair