It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User
Re: PTTD - Surgery on December 17!

I am now taking a sulfa drug for urinary tract infection. I'm going to try to go off the pain meds.
I couldn't possibly get upstairs to the other bathroom, So I guess it's going to be sponge baths. Right now I don't know what's worse the foot pain or UTI.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Pesher
Btrfli1 (12-15-2012), ginger62 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #32
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Hi Everyone, we are on our way down to NY now. I have to admit I've been having some nasty anxiety/panic moments. Actually more like hours.
I think one of my biggest concerns is pain and not being able to cope. I know to follow directions carefully and to be adamant about taking pain meds on time.
I think I've finally processed that the surgery is happening.
How'd you cope with the anxiety and suggestions on how to deal with pain welcome.
Also, if I'm in hospital for 4 days is it better to stay the 3 extra days inNY as planned or should I just head back to Boston - a five hour drive?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Hi dancer, I had major anxiety/panic as I got closer to surgery and it increased as the hours ticked by. I couldn't sleep, at all, the night before surgery because I was so nervous. My blood pressure was very high when they did vitals at check-in day of surgery, but with breathing,relaxation techniques, I was able to adjust. Anyone of us here can tell you, this is ALL normal reaction to upcoming surgery. We all worry about getting things done, prior to surgery, worry about controlling pain after surgery, worry about outcome/recovery of surgery. Add the holiday stress on top and it's no wonder you're stressed!! Try to relax, as hard as it may sound. We're all here for you to vent with and know will be thinking of you tomorrow. I'd ask your dr about traveling 5 hrs home. I think I would have been ok at 4 days post surgery, as long as I could keep my foot high and as long as I had adequate pain mgmt. But ,,,I'm not sure how you'll feel,,,,,I believe it's hard, physically, to go from 4 day inpatient to going home, with a 5 hr drive, all at once. As far as pain, it was really first few days, but after some adjustments, pain was managed. Don't hesitate to ask anything here. Everyone has been generous with experience, suggestions and concern. Ahve a safe trip, drive safely, and look forward to hearing from you when you're up to it, post surgery. Jeanne

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #34
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I had surgery on fri, dec 7. Came home tues, dec 11. Trip was 4 hours. I was glad to be home. The pain was worse on days 6,7,8. B/c I still had some of the IV drip working while in hosp. I recommend going home. Today is day 10. I washed hair in sink. Hubby is great. Knee walker is great. Meds at night. Did u get a wedge? Keep foot high in car. And, go PP before you start home. HSS and Deland are the best. 3 days in a NY hotel after surgery might be trying. I'll be thinking of you. Good luck. Phyllis

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

If you are in the hospital 3 days methinks you will be dying to get home by then. Because of all the stories I had heard I was extremely upset that they were going to send me home on the same day. We spent the night in the hotel across the street and made the 7 hr trip the next day...while the nerve block was wearing off. It wasn't pleasant but I made it and was very happy to be home...taking the meds when I was ready (maybe 1/2 hr early here and there, shhhh). I honestly think it's 85 % attitude. Now, sometimes folks have a really bad time getting the pain under control and that's a different story, but think how much better you'll sleep without them waking you every 4 hrs for vitals and those awful plastic mattress pads and pillows. I don't know NY at all but maybe you can take in some sights tonight. You'll get plenty of sleep the next few days to catch up. Big hugs...it will be fine and over before you know it!
Ginger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012), Pesher (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #36
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Jeanne, Ginger and Phyllis,
Thank you so much. I'm a bit calmer. We went out to eat at one of our regular places. It's felling a little less scary. That may change....

I've been playing with the crutches...good thing we have a wheel chair too and I will order the scooter. I'm pretty sure I've failed Crutches 101.

We may end up going straight home on Thursday based on pain and homesickness.

Ok, taking a deep breath and ready to tackle tomorrow.
All the best,
Desiree

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: exdancer2
Btrfli1 (12-16-2012), ginger62 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #37
(female)

Troly59, I will post what was found after surgery. When I saw Dr. D on Tuesday he mentioned numerous things wrong that were all working together to create even bigger problems. I'm having an MRI before surgery.
In office he wrote PTT Insuf and Achilles.
I had been hoping they would go in and find that I have less problems. It may be wishful thinking.
I also had an accident 8 years ago - a hotdog vendor ran over my left foot. I always suspected, years later, something might happen.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #38
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Desiree, so glad you were able to go out, have a good meal and start feeling a little better. I didn't have a knee scooter for my first surgery, so having it this time has made a huge difference in mobility. Try to relax, and try together some rest tonite. JYou have a big day tomorrow. All will go well. Looking forward to hearing from you when it's over. best wishes!! Jeanne

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #39
(female)

I look forward to Thurs as it will be my first post op w Dr. Deland. We have a driver to take us to NYC. THE logistics of drop off, office visit, etc, will be lessened if my wonderful hubby can assist me from the car to the office visit on the fifth floor of the med. bldg. Not to mention anxiety and stress. So.. As I am just ahead of you, Dancer, you will hear from me too. Good luck. The nurses on the 4th flr. are caring, and you will do well. Good night, sleep tight.
Phyllis

The following user gives a hug of support to Pesher:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User

Good luck tomorrow!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Blotto For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #41
(female)

Wondering why you need revision? I was told that there is only 90% success w this surgery. What will you have to go through for revision?
Phyllis

Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Hope everything has gone well and you are resting dancer. Take care and update when you can!
~Kimberly

Sent from my iPhone using HealthBoards
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #43
(female)

I know you are in good hands today, dancer. Press that button when you need the meds. Today is Tues. It gets better in the hospital. Take advantage. Be sure to eat protein for bone healing. Be your own advocate. Let us know when you are ready.
Phyllis

Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #44
Veteran
(female)

Hi Desiree, Hope you're feeling a little bit better today and are resting comfortably. Looking forward to hearing from you as you recover! Thinking of you!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #45
(female)

Hi from HSS,
I survived the first 24 hours.
My surgery ended up being 7 1/2 hours (not the 2-4 hours we originally thought).
I also had a bone graft taken from my hip so I'm pretty sore. Also having an issue with low blood pressure
Hoping to go home on Thursday or Friday.
I hope to write more from home over the weekend.
Best wishes

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: exdancer2
Btrfli1 (12-18-2012), Pesher (12-18-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
achilles lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy, hospital for special surgery, posterior tibial repair