It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #61
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: PTTD - Surgery on December 17!

Hey Desiree! So glad you made it home safe and sound. Aren't you glad the surgery is over without having to agonize for months? I've read up some on your Dr. and he certainly sounds like one of the best.
Get lots of rest, stay up on your meds and give us all the gory details when you feel up to it.
Big hug!
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #62
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Hi!
Excuse misspellings as I typing on my smartphone.

Did any of you have a bone graft from your hip and/or plasma from your hip used in your surgery?
If yes, how long did it take for the "discomfort" to go away? I am really sore.

Also, I should have a copy of the surgery report when I go down to get sutures out and cast on. I know there was a lot more done then was originally anticipated.

Lesson learned, MRIs can be very misleading.
Hugs to everyone.

The following user gives a hug of support to exdancer2:
ginger62 (12-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #63
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Hi exdancer, yes, now 2 weeks post. Hip graft was done sutures came out on Thurs, and site is still a bit sore, but improving. New cast is lighter, and narcs are diminishing. A long day in NYC Thurs, and next appt in 5 weeks. Monday will be one week for you. Hang on. It gets better, but it is a long haul.
Phyllis

Old 12-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #64
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

[QUOTE=Pesher;5107816]Roxygirl..... I am 2 weeks post w Dr. Deland. Next appt is 5 weeks. Still on meds, foot in air. How soon before you felt better? Two weeks is very early in the recovery process. I used the knee scooter and also a two wheeled walker in the house. I spent the first few weeks downstairs on the pull out couch. At about seven or eight weeks, I started to feel somewhat human. We borrowed a friends wheel chair and about 5 weeks post op, my husband wheeled me to a bagel place a few blocks from my house. It made me feel human again. Like an outside car ride or trip? Did you use knee scooter in house? It's a life saver. Once I was weight bearing using a boot, I used even ups which helped to make the height of both feet similar and alleviated the strain on my back etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #65
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Demerol doesn't seem "strong".....I guess it comes in different strengths? I don't feel "loopy or out of it" when I take. Hope you can get relief with the Benedryl.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #66
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I took demerol in my IV while in the hospital. It made me extremely dizzy. I had that every 4 hours and percocet every four in between. The first two days were rough but by noon on Sunday (Surgery was a Friday) I was only taking percocet. Do any of you have issues with the narcotic medications keeping you awake? I think I only slept about 4 hours in the hospital.

~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #67
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Yes! I can't sleep very well, at all, when taking pain meds. I'm usually wide awake, which makes it hard to heal properly. It's one reason I try to back off of pain meds as soon as possible. It's a catch 22......either deal with the pain and don't sleep, or take the pain meds and don't sleep! I'm not having this problem with the Demerol.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #68
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Btrfli, are you still in the post op splint? If so, once you get that off, I think you'll sleep a lot better without the feeling you've got a cement block attached to your leg. You'll be able to move around in the bed without waking up to heave your whole leg. Sleep deprivation makes the situation just hateful.
Ginger

Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #69
Veteran
(female)

Hi Ginger, No, I got the post op splint off last Tuesday, at dr appt, and have been in a cast since. Yiu're SOOOO right....cast is much more comfortable, and I've been sleeping in my bed, pretty comfortably. I do feel so much better, and stronger,now that I'm sleeping well. the first few days post op were miserable, until dr got the pain meds right. The intense itching was driving me crazy! I'm really feeling good, considering, just stir crazy!! Hope everyone is well. Wishing you all Happy Hoildays! Jeanne

Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #70
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

All narcotics have an element of sedative. They put me to sleep. Surprised to hear the opposite from some of you. the Benadryl worked for 12 hours, so my itching seems under control. Now...just to get this urine catheter OUT!! And hopefully the bladder will wake up and kick in. A hair wash in the laundry sink took the energy and wind out of me. But clean now for a few days. I do not want visitors yet. But food is plentiful from friends. Hope to hear from you all. I love the communication. Thanks. Phyllis

Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #71
Veteran
(female)

Hi Phyllis! Glad to hear you were up to washing your hair. For me, that alone made me feel better! My shower head in my upstairs bathroom converts to a hand held, so I've been pretty comfortable washing my hair whenever I've been up to it. Bathing in that tub is very manageable. My bathrooms are fairly large, so I can fit a chair and my knee walker and still have room to move as I need to for dressing. I've taken a bath every day, beginning nite of surgery. Of course, my husband is here to set everything up for me,,,clothing, towels, etc and to clean everything up, so that's been a huge help. Bath just makes me feel better. Good that the Benedryl is helping control your itching. It helped me for a very short time, then the intense itch would return. Hope your kidneys wake up soon! That catheter must be absolutely miserable. I'm us you'll feel much more comfortable, once that's gone! Take it easy and hope you have a good day! Jeanne

Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #72
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Hi,
I'm having a bit of an off day...
I'm feeling a lot of healing going on in my surgical area. With this is a lot of itchiness and some numbness. I took Benadryl last night which helped a little. I may use a prescription I have for itching as it is starting to make me crazy.

Also, does it hurt to have sutures removed? I know I have a lot.
Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Desiree

Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #73
(female)

Hi Desiree, As you know I'm two weeks ahead of you. The blip in my recovery has been a catheter. I was not able to use the bathroom because my bladder wasn't working. They said it was a narcotics and immobility. I hope to get the catheter out on Thursday. So I am cutting back on the narcotics. And trying to get around on the scooter a bit more. I have had some horrible itching. The Benadryl does help. It is from the narcotics. Norco especially. I had a 12 o'clock appointment For the new cast and some stitches out. At 11 o'clock in the car I took some pills. The pain is not too bad with the stitches. They removed the stitches from my hip area. And a few staples. Then the cast technician got me ready for a cast. His name is Rodney. He is very good at what he does. The biggest problem is getting into the building. We had a driver take us down so my husband could help me. There is no one in the lobby and no help for you. I took my scooter with me. I have my husband with me the whole time. Otherwise he would've had to go park the car. Be aware the appointment is on 72nd St. not at the hospital. You will be very happy with a fiberglass cast because it's light. It was a full day for me from Connecticut so what will be even more so for you from Boston. Sorry for some grammatical errors I'm using the iPad. My surgery was December 7. Time is not flying by. My bedroom is on the main floor. But to get out of the house I have steps to the garage. I had to be carried to the car. I am getting around my main level. With the scooter. The foot in the air is the hardest part all the time. My next appointment is in five weeks. That seems like an eternity from now. I have my moments up and down. I have not been able to focus on books or TV. Maybe that's just as well. Continue to improve and we will be in touch. Phyllis in Ct.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #74
(female)

Exdancer... Are you going for a cast change? You'll need some help getting out of the car and into the building. We had a driver take us so that my husband could work with me. Otherwise he would've had to park the car and I would have had to wait. Keep us posted. Rodney the technician for the cast is great. Pick a color. I chose pink. I did see Dr. Deland while I was there. And Christine. But everybody is always very busy. So you don't get much time with either of them. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #75
(female)

Let us know about the cast change. It's a very long day. But you're going to feel so much better with such a lightweight cast.

Closed Thread

Tags
achilles lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy, hospital for special surgery, posterior tibial repair