It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
Post op from Chrisman-snook surgery

It's day 3, post op. Today is the best day, so far, and I know it's only going to be uphill from here. Have had probs with pain meds. I took Vicodin every 6 hrs, as prescribed, and that didn't do enough for pain mgmt. I had a nerve block at surgery, surgery was at 730am, and nerve block began to wear off about 2 in the morning. Could feel pain and was itching terribly from the Vicodin. Called dr in the morning and he chgd med to Percocet every 4 hrs. Percocet was driving me crazy with itching, as well. Btwn pain and itching, I couldn't get any rest. Dr called yesterday to check on me,,,told him about severe itching, and he chgd med to Demerol. Finally able to get some sleep,,,slept almost all night and have been sleeping most of today. Feel stronger with sleep. For those who have upcoming surgery, the first 2 or 3 days will probably be tough, but it will get better. I have found the knee scooter really nice to have, for bathroom trips. I have to stay NWB, foot elevated, for at least the first week. I feel a lot more stable than with crutches. For those of you that are recovering, I hope you're feeling well, getting stronger. Take care! jeanne

Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
Re: First week post op dr appt from Chrisman-Snook surgery

Had One week post op with dr today. I'm recovering very well and hope those of you at post op period are doing as well. My dr has an office very close to the house, so, luckily, didn't have to travel far. With that said, I was surprised how exhausted I was when I got home. AND how much swelling/pain I had from just getting ready/dr appt/getting cast on, etc. My appt was 830 am and my last pain med was 1100 last nite. Note to all,,,,,probably good idea to take pain med prior to dr appt, of you can. I won't make that mistake again! In fact, my nurse today said when she instructions at pre op, she always advises patients to take pain meds prior to the first few post op appts. Surgery splint came off, incision cleaned, redressed and cast applied. Lots of swelling and bruising still. Dr still wants me to stay down, with foot elevated for another 10 days,,,NWB. While waiting for cast tomgomone, I was able to wiggle all toes and have feeling in all....hard to tell what else is going on due to swelling/bruising. Almost got sick when I saw the incisions. I'm one week closer to a better ankle! Hope you're all feeling better and stronger each day. Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Glad your appointment went well! The first few appointments are usually exhausting. I'm not squeamish so seeing incisions and such doesn't phase me. What color cast did you go with? I had purple and pink ones. Happy healing to you!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Re: Post op from Chrisman-snook surgery

Hi Kimberly! How are you feeling? Hope you're doing well and are comfortably awaiting surgery. I know you'll be glad to be at this point in your recovery. I'm usually not too squeamish either, but the pain level was high at that point and I got very light headed. Whole foot and ankle looks really bad, but I know it's to be expected. I wanted a pink or purple cast, but they didn't have so I chose a sky blue. Didn't want neon colors,,,and not camo,,,I'll chg color next week when the stitches/staples come out. Take care! Jeanne

Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Yay for a good appointment. How does the cast feel? Better? I'm on the countdown! I can't believe he wants 10 more days of elevation. Good luck! Hopefully your totally not going sir crazy yet!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hi Erin! Cast feels very uncomfortable and tight, but I believe it's from the swelling, cause it didn't feel like this at the office. I can't believe how much it swells if my foot isn't elevated. He wants elevation due to the amount of swelling. Not sure how 10 More days will be, but I'll do my best to be compliant. I don't want to jeopardize a totally successful recovery. I followed his instructions to a "T" following the first surgery and had great results and complete ROM. looking forward to hearing how you make out on Thursday. Good Luck! Jeanne

The following user gives a hug of support to Btrfli1:
ginger62 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
I'm okay. I'm walking at this point as it doesn't matter if I damage anything because he's removing all existing work. It gets pretty sore. I'm all about neon colors lol. Wish my doc had them! I'm going stir crazy waiting. I just want it done. 28 more days left. I have the boot off right now. Was just painting my toenails. My foot felt stiff and when I relaxed it there was a big pop. Felt good though lol. I'm not supposed to have any popping in that joint but it does since it isn't fused. I'm so glad you girls are plugging a long.

It's amazing how much your foot swells in the cast after being down a small time. I had to get a new cast twice due to swelling and my cast being too tight. My first one came off four days post op. my toes were turning purple. Surely not looking forward to casts again. At least it won't be the hot summer months this time. Maybe it won't feel so nasty.

Take it easy!
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
ginger62 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kimberly, the week before surgery, I did whatever I wanted with the foot, and just dealt with the pain. I felt,as you do, that I wouldn't hurt it anymore, and I knew I would be down for awhile. Cast is very uncomfortable. Didn't feel bad at the dr office, but after being up and mobile while out, swelling was bad. Once home, I elevated, but cast was really tight and uncomfortable. I couldn't use the scooter, because cast was SOOOO tight, it was cutting into me. I would much rather be in a cast during the winter than summer. That must have been miserable! Plus, swelling is worse during warmer months, I think. Take care, jeanne

Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I always iced my cast for relief
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I always iced my cast for relief
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I'm 11 days post op, doing well, feeling stronger each day. I have to stay elevated for another week, and am doing my best to stay compliant. However, strange pain began yesterday afternoon, and has continued today. I've been getting sharp, intense pain, at the incision site. The pain is so bad, that I woke up from a deep sleep by the pain, and pain was so bad, that I began crying. I've had several of these episodes today, each with the same intensity. Intense pain lasts less than 2 minutes, but is exhausting, due to the intensity. It happens spontaneously, I'm just sitting with my leg elevated. I assume the pain is from the nerves mending back together, but I don't remember these pains from my first surgery. Anyone else have these? Is it just part of healing?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

I have certainly had those pains and still do now at random moments 11 weeks later. I can be sitting at my desk at work and out of nowhere it comes and lasts for less than a minute. I get mine where the brostrom reconstruction is still healing and also deep inside where the OCD was removed from the talus. They are not as intense as just post surgery but they certainly get my attention

The Following User Says Thank You to angelee43 For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-22-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Happy New Year everyone! I haven't been able to post anything, finally figured out what was wrong, but I have been reading all your comments. Hope everyone is feeling better!! I'm 3 weeks post op now, and went to the dr last Wed for suture removal,,,,,OUCHY!! Incision is healing well, looks good. Have another cast for two more weeks, NWB. Very pretty pink! Dr said I could put it down for short periods of time, and when I do so, pain level amps up. I know that's normal, but sure does swell fast when foot is down and pain quickly follows.

Have a problem,,,,,,I started to fall Christmas day and while trying to keep from going down completely on my bad foot, the second toe on my surgery foot bent under, at the base of the toe, then my weight came down, heel hit hard. I was crying, it hurt so bad. I kept thinking it would get better,so when I saw my dr on Thurs, I didn't tell him. The pain has not subsided in that joint and surrounding area, throbs if foot is down. I don't see the dr till Tues, was wondering if I could do anything till then?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone!

I had 4 week post op appt today and good news....everything's healing well and I had cast removed and am now in boot. Woo-hoo!! Foot feels weird, but I'm healing well and I look forward to foot getting better every day. Dr said I could be WB as tolerated, just warned not to do too much, too soon. Brace with crutches, and apply as much weight as comfortable, but any pain, back off. He said to increase weight slowly over the next 3 weeks, then another appt.

Hope you're all healing well too and making progress. Best wishes to those with upcoming surgeries, I look forward to hearing of your recovery soon!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Glad everything is going along well for you now - that's great news!!
I didn't have the same surgery, but Brostrom-Gould (amongst other stuff) and I went from NWB cast at 3.5wks to brace and crutches, WBAT too. Was able to give away the crutches totally after one week - still very, very sore - but I tend to 'push' things a bit (not always good).
You are lucky you see your surgeon so often. I saw mine 10days post-op when back slab changed to cast and then not until the 3mth mark late last week.
He left me in the hands of the orthotist (did the cast and ankle brace) andy my physio.
I am luck it has all gone well, so far, and I don't have to see the OS any more.
Hope your recovery continues to go well - keep us updated

Closed Thread