It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: Ankle Surgery

Use a shower seat and always have a shower cover on it. i got my shower cover from a pharmacy store.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

I got a nice sturdy shower chair from a large home improvement chain store. It fits perfect inside of my claw foot tub.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

I have a smaller sized bathtub and im worried about one fitting. I saw a few in stores. So i might give those a try, i heard IKEA sometimes has them but I dont go there alot. Whats a shower cover? I have to replace my shower curtain now that I think about it. I like a new clean one when I take my first shower post op

Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shower cover is a waterproof cast protector that you put over your cast. It has a rubber gasket type seal at the top.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Ohh. Yeah once I hit 14 days I go into the boot. So I don't need a cast cover. Thanks for answering though

Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I took baths beginning the first day of surgery. I sit on the side of the tub, swing my good foot into the tub, sit down and prop the surgical leg on the side of the tub. I put a folded towel on the side of the tub, and sit on that to dry when I'm done. It's worked good for me. The shor head also converts to a hand held shower, which I think is a must have. Makes hair washing easy. If that doesn't work for you, you can buy no rinse shampoo caps. It looks just like a shower cap, the inside is terry cloth which is saturated with no rinse shampoo. You put the cap in the microwave for a minute, which warms the liquid. Put the cap on just like a reg shower cap, all your hair tucked in. Massage your entire scalp for a few minutes. Remove the cap and throw away. No rinsing needed,,,just style your hair as usual. Your hair feels just like it had been washed, and smells great. In my area, these are available at Walgreens and medical supply stores. I also have slipper socks, with no skid bottoms, that are wide enough to fit over my cast. Keeps the toes warm! Good luck!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish I could do that, I have no engery for baths and my tub isn't very big. Plus my surgeon said no bathing or showering for the first 10 days.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB User

As long as the foot does not get wet what is the reason for no bathing? My bathtub is upstairs (shower on 1st fl) and if I can get up the stairs I may be able to get into the tub. Has anyone had to deal with stairs?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

My bath is upstairs(so i would have to use stairs), i use the living room my first two weeks of surgery to avoid them. I have no idea why I'm not allowed too, he once said because there a risk of falling or getting the foot wet so its just easier to tell people not too, but, even if I was I wouldn't be able to make it up the stairs plus I'm only in a splint with gaze and an ace bandage. I would be worried about getting it wet.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Dill, I've been using the upstairs bathroom, as the downstairs master bathroom's tub is a jetted tub, too deep for me to be able to use right now. I scoot up the stairs on my knees, using my good foot as the scoot. I can also sit, use my arms and good leg to propel upstairs. My hubby can help me, if needed, but I also can move my crutches one step at a time. I scoot downstairs on my butt. It's not graceful looking, but works for me. I've been bathing since surgery day, with my bad leg propped on the tub edge. To ensure I don't get it wet, I had a bath towel on bath edge. I have a large loft upstairs with sofas, recliner, tv stereo, etc, and bedrooms upstairs, so for the first week, once I got upstairs the first time, I didn't go back down till the second week. Hubby brought me everything else I needed/wanted. I'm very independent and had to figure out some way to be able to bathe everyday. It's worked for me,,,,,,,good luck!!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

On my hospital discharge papers they had on there no bath/shower for 10 days. Only sponge bath. I of course did not follow that. I'm the type of person who is crabby until my shower! So I made sure I had everything set out that I would need before hand. Even when I had the bulky splint I bathed. I bought a cast cover, and then was able to sit on the side of the tub, and lower myself in, keeping my leg elevated on the side of the tub. It's also extremely useful to have a handheld shower head, so I am able to "shower" sitting down. Then I dry my top half, get up sitting on the edge of the tub and finish drying.
I'd go totally crazy not getting a real bath for that long!
Good luck!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
Veteran
(female)

Handheld shower made bathing so much easier. Bathing and getting dressed every day just made me feel better and did wonders for my morale. It was painful to have the foot down getting back and forth to bathe, but once I was done, I was back to elevating the foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
ddill (01-12-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was able to bathe immediately as long as I didn't get it wet. I sit in a shower chair and rest my foot on the back side of the tub. My tub is clawfoot so theres plenty of room to do that.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB User

Based on comments above I asked my husband if he could replace current shower head with a handheld. He agreed to investigate.

I'm still concerned about stairs. I have to negotiate four steps into the house. Any thoughts on that?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hand held shower head is a must in my opinion. Only about $35...well worth it. I am almost 4 months out and still have to sit in the shower. Couldn't get by without it. If you order stuff online (using the big time online service), they have a one month trial period for their expedited shipping service and returns are a breeze. I wound up keeping the service for the whole year. Got my scooter and loads of stuff shipped for free. They also have a ton of movies and TV shows that you can watch for free with the subscription. Good luck! Make lots of lists. It will keep you organized and give you a sense of accomplishment when you can cross things off.
Stairs you can manage on your tush until you feel comfortable. I was very apprehensive about them, but it was mostly in my head. Once you get the big splint off everything is easier.
Ginger

Closed Thread