It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Ankle Surgery

Haha Erin, me too. No shower, no bueno.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

The only stairs I had to use in the first two weeks were the ones in front of my place and then going down them when I went to get my splint off. I am very nervous about the stairs because for the first 4 days I'm very dizzy and off blance...so I tend to avoid them for the first two weeks but, I can cause I just use the family room. Do you have to use the steps? Or can they be avoided like mine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #33
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Yes, shower chair and hand held shower are life savers for sure.

I also have 4 stairs into my house. I can manage them fine on crutches. They make me nervous, but I can do it. It took me a while to get the hang of putting the crutches down first when I go down and good foot up first when I go up, and, once I figured out you need to hold your surgery foot in front of you when going down to keep your balance right (at least I do). Once I got the hang of that, it's not so bad now. Don't get me wrong though - can't wait to be done with it!

When we came home from the hospital, I was still groggy from anesthesia, had never used crutches before, and had the big ole splint on my foot I wasn't used to yet, not to mention it was numb. Had to figure out how to get up the 4 stairs. I was terrified to try it on crutches, since the most practice I'd had was the 10 feet from the car to the stairs. Decided to sit down and scoot up the way the nurse told me to do. So all awkwardly I go scooting up the stairs. I was a sweaty mess because I was so tired and just pushing myself up 4 steps was exhausting. Get to the porch and realize I have NO Idea how to stand up. My husband lifts me up from behind, gets me steady on the crutches. Turn around, and realize the UPS guy was delivering a package and witnessed the whole thing. I wanted to die...I can't imagine how silly I must have looked! He was so kind though, and I had many, many more packages delivered over the next two weeks in preparation for Christmas, he was so helpful leaving them in a place where he knew I could get them, and he'd just knock twice very lightly on my door to let me know he was leaving something since he knew I couldn't hobble over to the door very quickly.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

When I do use the stairs I crawl up them and I scoot down on my butt. I have a pair I leave at the top of the stairs for when I reach and a pair at the bottom for when I come down. It helps that I have 3 pairs of crutches in my house. Thanks to my two surgeries and one from my brother when he hurt his knee, I can leave them in places like that.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
I found it easiest if you have a railing to use the railing on that side and crutch with the other. If not just make sure someone is behind you and in front of you just in case you're dizzy. I was very dizzy and had to put a chair half way to my porch which was only about ten feet away. Another option is going up the stairs on your butt or knees.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #36
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Thank you for all your suggestions on showers and stairs. I like the idea of having another set of crutches at the opposite end of the stairs.

To NCgirl - thanks for your humorous story. I'm thinking many of us probably have similar situations in which we need to modify our methods and someday we can look back on them for a good laugh.

I still have 19 days (18 1/2) before surgery and think I have everything as ready as I can get it so I am anxious for this time to fly by. Which is worse--waiting or the surgery?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

You know, I have to say, when I woke up in the recovery room and saw the huge splint on my foot and knew the surgery was all over, I felt a huge relief. Even though I knew I had a long road ahead with recovery, just getting the actual surgery over was HUGE for me.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

The waiting...atleast for me.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
(female)

Yeah, I think the waiting is getting to me. I have almost everything done (still need to get my mammo next Monday) and the waiting is awful. By the time the surgery gets here I will need a good cry just to release some tension.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

The waiting is the worst cause you keep thinking about it. Its okay at first cause you have things to get but then you run out of things to do. Atleast this time I plan to work till two days before my surgery, so I will have something to keep me busy. You need a mammo? Maybe cause I'm only going to be 20 I don't need one.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #41
(female)

Courtney- you are young...is it typical for someone your age to need this type of surgery? I can see where you would definitely want the surgery rather than continuing with pain for the rest of your life. I'm 62 and therefore probably not nearly as active as you are.

I'm retired and therefore not as occupied and have more time to think and get stressed out. I've been trying to keep busy but have only two rooms left in the house to clean before you will be able to eat off my floors! I've even cleaned closets! Fortunately I volunteer at the local library and that has taken up some of my time but not nearly enough.

18 days and counting.....

Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've seen some girls my age have surgery at my dr offices but its normally it seems to be women are my mom and your age. I use to be a figure skater and my bad foot(my right) was my lading foot..so he thinks my extra bone that I had taken out got worse cause of that. I've had foot issues snice I was 14 but I was too young then to do much cause they thought my foot was still growing. So at 17 I had my first and I will have two at 19. I turn 20 2 days after my surgery..nice birthday gift huh? I also didn't want to have to deal with the pain for a long time, like you said I'm so young that I didn't want to wait till I was in my 30s or older. I want to be able to move on with my life and do simple thing go to the gym or stand on my tip toes to reach something.

Tell me about it, before my surgery my mom always jokes that my room is so clean. Its cause I'm trying to do anything to keep me from thinking about it. For me Iike going to stores and just looking at everything. If I do that I pass a lot of time away and sometimes I even find something really awesome. I found myself a hello kitty serving tray which was cool

I have till feb 28th..so its awhile from now but yours is getting close. Just think soon you will have a new foot.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #43
(female)

You have a long history of foot problems, This is my first. Has each surgery been progressively worse? As in pain, length of time for healing, etc.? I'm concerned that my other foot may need surgery in the future as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #44
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well my left foot is doing well. It has held up which is good, it hurts every now ans then when i was using crutches but Ithink that's normal. Yeah each surgery I get more and more done. This time is and FDL transfer with a chance of having my heel broken. He will decides final stuff when he gets in and sees how bad it is. This one will be the longest for healing and he said pain but if you stay ahead of the pain it isn't all that bad.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #45
(female)

Courtney - how are you handling the waiting? I'm finding this to be very difficult for me and I still have two long weeks to wait. If I were working (I'm retired) the time might go by quicker but I am trying to keep busy with my hobbies but find it is not enough. Crying helps.

Closed Thread