It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User
Question Ankle Surgery

I am scheduled for ankle surgery with a description of: A2 PTT reconstruction, flexor digitorum longus to posteror tibial tendon transfer, achilles lengthening, allograft. I'm looking for someone who has had this type of surgery who could provide comments on how their surgery went as well as recovery. My doctor has not really provided much info other than no weight bearing for two months. I'm confused and nervous.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User
Re: Ankle Surgery

Hi there
Try not to worry, if you have a good look through these boards I'm sure you will find some information or someone that has suffered similar.
When are you scheduled for the surgery?
I was scheduled to go in for mine on Dec 13th but, my surgeon was poorly so it has been moved to Jan 10th, so I understand how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

Surgery is scheduled for Jan 31st......25 more days to wait. I'm trying to keep busy but every time I put something on my to do list that I think will eat up some time, I get it done that day and then don't have much left on my list that will use up some days. How are you spending your time?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

The only similar procedure that I had was the achilles tendon lengthening. I am not sure how your surgeon does his but mine was 3 tiny single stitch holes on the back of my ankle. I had little to no pain coming from that part of my surgery. Clearly a lot of pain is around the incisions but I have no experience with soft tissue work. Mine was all in the bones. Best of luck to you!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
ddill (01-06-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddill View Post
I am scheduled for ankle surgery with a description of: A2 PTT reconstruction, flexor digitorum longus to posteror tibial tendon transfer, achilles lengthening, allograft. I'm looking for someone who has had this type of surgery who could provide comments on how their surgery went as well as recovery. My doctor has not really provided much info other than no weight bearing for two months. I'm confused and nervous.
Oh my that's quite a lot of work your going to have done. I wish you the best I haven't had this surgery but I'm gearing up for my FDL transfer. I would call your doctor and ask more question or try to speak to a nurse. I think not having a lot of info would drive me insane. I'm one of those people who like to know, thankfully my doctor deals with all my questions and answers them. When is your surgery? Keep us all posted.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

My surgery was for an *Accessory Ossicle of the Navicular Bone and for PTTD. Basically my surgeon took an extra bone out of my foot and then tightened up the Posterior Tibial Tendon and anchored it into the bone. I understand it but probably not that good at explaining it. Sorry.

Not really sure what all you are having done but it sounds like a lot of work is going to be done on your poor little ankle. My suggestion is to review this board with a pen and paper in hand. Write down everything that interests you or sounds similar to what you are having done and you have a question about.

Pare down the list and take it in to your surgeon and ask a ton of question. And I mean a ton of questions. If you go in to this surgery any way other than feeling good about it and confident that it will work and you will come out better and stronger because of it then I completely believe it will affect your healing process.

Not trying to preach at you, just trying to help. I really feel strongly that you have to go into this journey (and it is a journey) feeling good about the end outcome and that starts with information about what is happening and knowing what to expect.

*I memorized this to impress my little sister who is a nurse (didn't work though) so I try to use it whenever I can.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
(female)

The surgery is January 31st and the waiting is awful. When is your FDL transfer? I've also looked at many web sites and they have been very helpful in explaining what is going to be done. These threads have been great also. It seems like each time I visit a thread I am able to get another hint on what can be done to help. Latest one was to have wipes nearby so that you don't have to get up to wash your hands. My husband is considering building a ramp for me to get up the three steps and into the house when I come home.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Mine is feb 28th, so i have quite awhile to wait. I'm still working so that keeps me busy for a few days since retail is in the slow time right now. Yeah, I had wipes when my mom went back to work but, before that for 2 weeks my mom was always home to help me. Its good to have someone there at least for the first week. I think the worst part is the waiting. I rented a wheelchair for my 2nd surgery and it was awesome! I could have someone take me outside or push me around the store. It helped with getting out. Cause crutches are tiring. Right now im making a checklist of all the things I will need, including food. I think this will be the most prepared Ive ever been. Yours is getting closer, are you have a morning surgery? My first one was a morning, the 2nd an afternoon. I prefer morning cause of the no eating or drinking.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

My downstairs restroom is practically a tiny closet under my stairs and there isn't a sink in there. I keep bottles of hand sanitizer in there so I don't have to use my crutches with soiled hands. Wipes are a savior after surgery. You girls can't be more right. Those come in handy for about anything. I kept some in my restroom, by my bed and in a basket next to my recliner. Can use them for anything.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I went to bath and body works and they have those little bottles of hand sanitizer for 5 for 5.00$ and they come in handy. I think I might pick up a few more for surgery and they smell amazing and you can keep them anywhere, plus you can buy something for them so they can clip on too things which is nice so you dont have to carry it by hand. I think we had baby wipes and wet ones.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had similar procedures to yours 5 weeks ago - FDL transfer, calf muscle lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy and lateral column lengthening. 5 lovely scars on my foot and calf to show for it .

It took me a while to convince myself I really needed the surgery. My doctor did a great job explaining to me very thoroughly what he was going to do, what to expect with recovery, and what to expect long term (as much as he could, since it seems to vary so much by person). Despite that, I found I still had a lot of questions. I called and spoke with his assistant who answered many of my questions, and he also put me on with his surgical assistant, who answered the rest of my questions. They never made me feel like i was being a pest for asking and it made me feel a lot better to get everything answered before the surgery.

5 weeks in, I am anxiously awaiting getting the cast off and moving into a boot. Still a long ways to go, but I'm looking forward to starting to put some weight on it and starting to see that this was (hopefully) all worth it!

I agree with others, in the time you have left until surgery, do anything you can think of to prepare for the surgery, you'll be so glad you did!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
(female)

I like your suggestion of the bed and bath bottles and the clip on. I'll check that out next time I get to the mall. Any shower suggestions?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I like them a lot and they are easy to use. For the shower I had a shower chair that a family friend had used but I need a new one now. I'm thinking of getting a shower basket together this time. I use dial soap(nonscented) and l brought myself some cute little wash cloths. If your going to do the sink showers(I did for the first 10 days) its better to have little travel sizes shampoos cause they fit in a basket

Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I agree with the shower chair, I borrowed one from my mom and it's a life saver. And a cast cover. Both of those have made it so easy to shower, I am so thankful to be able to take relatively normal showers!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

What kind of shower chair do you use? I need to buy a new one for this surgery.

Closed Thread