It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
(male)

David-89 HB User
Plantar Plate Surgery

I have a torn plantar plate in my right foot, at the 2nd metatarsal. The podiatrist is recommending surgery...top of the foot incision for soft tissue work, osteotomy, and to insert a pin to fuse the toe. He also will do an incision on the bottom of my foot to repair the plantar plate. Has anyone had success with this sort of procedure? It sounds like the recovery could be painful and lengthy. Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

artjen HB User
Re: Plantar Plate Surgery

What else has the doctor had you try before suggesting surgery? I had the exact same injury, same foot last summer. After 6 weeks in a walking cam boot it was fully healed. Have you tried a walking boot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
(male)

David-89 HB User

I did orthotics and cortisone shots with a different podiatrist. It's feeling somewhat better and we pushed the surgery back. Has your second toe shifted towards your big toe? Mine is crooked, but I don't mind, IF it stops hurting. Too much barefooted beach volleyball over the years for me.....

Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
(female)

Nathalie-56 HB User

Hi David , I had that exact surgery back in October 2012.( except I also had a mortons neuroma excised as well as the pp repair and osteotomy ) . For me it was one night in hospital , 6 weeks in a Darco boot and return to light exercise and then anything I wanted after 3 months . Still have some sensitivity when I press the surgical site and my toes are still stiff to run but overall improvement was huge . I used to have pain without weight bearing and tried everything conservative to treat ( boot, orthotics, no activities, cortisone) . Any questions let me know

Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
(female)

copus HB User

I had a torn plantar plate at the 2nd metatarsal & a ruptured plantar plate at the third metatarsal on my right foot. Surgery,November 2012. Involved one incision on the top of the foot, Weil's osteotomy performed on each metatarsal & reattachment of the plantar plate (s) to the proximal phalanges. 11 weeks since surgery, the foot function is beginning to return to normal, however swelling persisting much longer than anticipated. Apparently this is normal? Evidently 4.5 - 6 months for good recovery.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
(female)

copus HB User
Smile Re: Plantar Plate Surgery

Has anybody else had this type of surgery? Time line of the recovery process would be very useful.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #7
(female)

copus HB User

Hi Nathalie, sounds like we had similar surgeries. How are you going with regard to swelling? For me, this seems to be the limiting factor precluding the return to serious exercise.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
(female)

Nathalie-56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by copus View Post
Hi Nathalie, sounds like we had similar surgeries. How are you going with regard to swelling? For me, this seems to be the limiting factor precluding the return to serious exercise.

Swelling isn't a major problem for me - mine is more getting flexibility back in my toes . I have heard t 6 month there is a great improvement in reduction of swelling and have read that it an take up to 12 months to
Feel "normal". Have you tried soaking your foot daily with Epsom salts ?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
(female)

copus HB User
Cool Re: Plantar Plate Surgery

Hi Nathalie, my toes were stiff at 6 weeks post op check. Orthopedic surgeon recommended acupuncture to loosen up the scar tissue. Had 3 weeks (2 sessions a week with a podiatrist) of acupuncture, soft tissue massage & plantar flexion & dorsi flexion exercises. Have continued with the exercises & have noticed a significant improvement in the range of motion. Thanks for the tip re: epsom salts. Have found that swimming in salt water relieves my foot , maybe the same principle at work.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
(male)

jl australia HB User

hmmm...this is slightly frightening. I have recently been diagnosed with "complex chronic degeneration with full thickness, full width tearing to 2nd, 3rd & 4th planter plates"........on both feet. Toe fusion surgery has been suggested. What I want to know is how I will be after surgery. I am fit and active, and have a young and active family (4, 7 & 8 year olds). In fact the injury came about when dragging my 5 year old up and down the wet sand on a boogy board on the waters edge (sand like concrete), about three years ago.
My feet have got progressively more sore over the last couple of years to the point that I now pop between 1 & 4 voltarin 25's (anti inflammatories) a day, just so I can walk about. So I want the pain to go away, but I don't want to look or feel like I'm walking around in ski boots for the rest of life!
Has anyone out there had similar surgery? How long should I expect to be out of action and what should I expect.
Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #11
(female)

copus HB User

Full recovery from plantar plate repair surgery is approximately 4.5-6 months according to Dr Weil, the surgeon that pioneered this new procedure). At 14 weeks post surgery, I am walking & very lightly jogging in the hills each morning (around 5 km). It will probably take anywhere up to 12 months before my foot feels "normal" again.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
(female)

copus HB User

Nathalie, have you noticed any improvement with getting flexibility back into the toes?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
(female)

Nathalie-56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by copus View Post
Nathalie, have you noticed any improvement with getting flexibility back into the toes?
Hi there

Wow the drama continues for me. It appears that I have torn my plantar plate in three other spots on my feet. One on my right foot under the Fourth MTP and under my second and fourth MTP on my left foot ( I previously had surgery on my right foot to fix 2nd MTP plantar plate tear )

My surgeon is absolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend him if you are any where near the Gold Coast but the problem with my injury is that both my MRI's did not pick up the tears.

For me the diagnosis has only been based on symptoms and my surgeon was apprehensive to operate without extensive conservative treatment given there was no findings from the MRI (apart from some inflammation)

I have since discovered that MRI is not really exhaustive when it comes to diagnosing these cheeky little injuries... seems that if the ball of your foot is sore and resistant to conservative treatment, it is most probably a plantar plate tear.

I am having the operation for the left foot tomorrow (no weil osteotomy this time as my foot function seems fine and there are no abnormally long bones). The surgery will to fix the two tears (2 and 4 MTP) and then once that is recovered I will be getting my right foot done too. (4 MTP)

To cut a long story short, I still haven't got the full flexibility in my toe (after the first op) but I attribute alot of that to the fact that I haven't been able to do normal things (i.e run and walk alot) due to the other injuries.

I believe that once you are cleared to do high impact activities it will feel stiff and sore but the normal movements will do wonders to getting flexibility back in your toes.

Is your flexibility issues caused by scar tissue? Have you tried bio oil and rubbing into the scar as often as you can? Deep massage (as much pressure as you can handle is really good)

Looks like I will be posting on this through my next two surgeries though so the battle is not over.... I might think of doing a timeline/blog to help others out.

I am still confident that I will run again.... one day

Happy healing

Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
(female)

Calamity77 HB User

Hi. Just wondering how everyone is getting on with their various plantar plate tear issues. My ortho is recommending surgery. I have hear I cannot drive for 6 weeks after the surgery.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
(female)

Nathalie-56 HB User
Wink Re: Plantar Plate Surgery

Hi there

Since my last post I have had two more ops to fix my plantar plate issues (I had tears on both feet, resistant to treatment under 2nd and 4th MTP. My first operation was Oct 2012 where I had weil's osteotomy on 2MTP right foot)

I am 3.5 months post op from my second op and 5 weeks post op from my 3rd operation.

Calamity77- With the surgeries, you can start driving after 4-5 weeks if you have just had soft tissue repair. If you have had an osteotomy it is 6 weeks at least ( to take the bone to heal).

Firstly my second op (Left foot, 2nd and 4th MTP repair)
I had the surgery 3.5 months ago, starting to feel better each week although I still have hard swelling (induration) at the surgical site which makes my toes stick up a little - hoping so much that this resolves soon!. Also my toes in general are very stiff. Having said that, I can tell that the surgery has helped the situation as I used to have this constant burning in the ball of my foot which would not go away (even at rest)- Drove me crazy!!

Once I was good to take a bit of load on my left foot, I went to get the right foot operated on (fix 4 MTP Plantar plate tear, remove pin in toe from 2MTP as it was uncomfortable). After the surgery, the surgeon advised that I had alot of scar tissue where the pin was in my toe so he also cut some of that away when he removed the pin. Its been 5 weeks since the final op and I still have sausage toes (totall normal) but am still healing.

I have just started to do some yoga ( no toe stands though) to try and get some flexibility and balance back (and to keep me sane). From everything I have heard, it is a good 6 months for a recovery and up to 12 months for the foot to return to normal function?

Did anyone experience hard swelling at the surgical site?

Good luck everyone... I think I am nearly at the end of my journey... it seems to keep getting better. Getting back to running will be my milestone though......

Closed Thread