It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
(female)

Minnh HB User
Re: 5 Weeks Post Peroneal Tendon Transfer

I found it and read it! It was extremely helpful, and how horrible that you have to have it done again! I am not very good at navigating these boards, and now I see that there are many threads that I might want to read. It's surprising to see how many people out there have foot problems. I have felt so alone dealing with this, as no one I know has these type of problems. Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Minnh
ginger62 (12-31-2012), Snowrunner (12-30-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Minnh, no one else I know has this or has ever even heard of it. Your family can be sympathetic but they very often don't get it either. It can be very lonely. But that's why we're here!
Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Thanks Minnh! You girls are so right. In fortunate in my situation that I have a cousin who also hand ankle problems. She had surgery a couple years ago doing some tendon shortening and sawing her calcaneous and realigning it. She's doing well. She has a nasty bone spur on her heel now that's bugging her though. Everything went text book for her.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

I think our families get impatient or move on. They don't get that, nearly 6 weeks after surgery there is still pain. I'm still hurting and my husband is still sympathetic but kind of done too. They move on and we are still in the midst of it.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The following user gives a hug of support to Snowrunner:
ginger62 (01-01-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
(female)

Minnh HB User

How many of you who have had surgery got second opinions? Today my physical therapist told me that while I have made some progress, my activity is still very limited by the amount of pain that I'm experiencing, and she thinks I should follow up with the Dr. and find out exactly what he could do to help me surgery wise. I will do that, but I think I should also go out of the area for another opinion. I was wondering if anyone got differing opinions on what should be done.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

It's always good to get 2nd, 3rd even 4th opinions. I knew I needed surgery, just not to what extent. I live in a very small town so no one here could do it. I saw 2 different surgeons, each 3 hours away. Finally settled on the third one I saw who was 7 hrs away. It was inconvenient but well worth it. You really, really want to find one that you like and trust. Do lots of research. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

I started off with one doctor who told me I was fine (based on an mri), that physical therapy was useless, and that I needed orthotics... 8 months later, I went to my current doc who spent some time trying non-surgical methods before realizing we needed more. Once inside, he discovered my completely stretched out ligament and tear in my peroneal brevis.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
(female)

Minnh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
It's always good to get 2nd, 3rd even 4th opinions. I knew I needed surgery, just not to what extent. I live in a very small town so no one here could do it. I saw 2 different surgeons, each 3 hours away. Finally settled on the third one I saw who was 7 hrs away. It was inconvenient but well worth it. You really, really want to find one that you like and trust. Do lots of research. Good luck.

Wow, I never thought about getting that many opinions. I do think I'll go to the city that's 2 hours away to get another opinion though. So you had your surgery in the city that's 7 hours from home? How did that work with your follow-up appointments?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have a local ortho that has done 2 knee surgeries for me. They had been treating me for the PTTD for a couple of years, but this surgery was beyond their scope (pun intended, haha). I stopped in a couple of weeks before to let them know what was going on and to set up the 2 wk post op appt. My OS was supposed to set up further appts. and follow up care, however, he went out for surgery himself so the office in MD was a little discombobulated. I wound up doing most of the follow up myself. It wasn't a big deal. So far it has worked out great. Find the best doctor you can to do your surgery. That's the most important thing.
I correspond with the MD office by phone and email. They always get back to me the same day. A big clue...when you visit the office, if it seems to be efficient, clean and well run, chances are the care will be the same. I think that's true of any business.
Ginger

Last edited by ginger62; 01-01-2013 at 07:12 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
Minnh (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnh View Post
How many of you who have had surgery got second opinions? Today my physical therapist told me that while I have made some progress, my activity is still very limited by the amount of pain that I'm experiencing, and she thinks I should follow up with the Dr. and find out exactly what he could do to help me surgery wise. I will do that, but I think I should also go out of the area for another opinion. I was wondering if anyone got differing opinions on what should be done.
With my injury I went to an urgent care for x-rays and they told me it was "simple" sprain. About 4 months later when I knew it wasn't getting better I called the ortho office I had been to before to get an appointment. After doing my research on the dr's in the office I was hoping for a specific foot and ankle surgeon but they had me see the non-surgeon ortho (I didn't fight it since all these Dr's work with the professionial/college/high school St Louis sports teams. After a round of conservative treatment, bracing, PT, x-rays, MRI, nothing was working. He thought the MRI showed some tears and immidiately said I needed to see the foot and ankle surgeon. I immidiately liked him, but he wanted to try a few more things before surgery. Even though I knew surgery was my only hope, I was glad that he wasn't pushing surgery after the first visit. So I tried the boot and then more PT and finally had surgery.
So even though I saw a second dr in the same office, I still had that second opinion. But Ginger is so right when it comes to how the office is run. Besides loving my OS the office is just as wonderful, even when the enormous waiting room is FULL!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Closed Thread