It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
5 Weeks Post Peroneal Tendon Transfer

Hello all. Thought it was time for an update. I am now 5 weeks out from my surgery on November 22nd. The doc transferred a healthy peroneal longus to a badly damaged (1 1/2 inch long split) peroneal brevis.

At two weeks I came out of the boot and was told to gradually weight bear. Three weeks later I am still using a combination of the knee scooter/ two crutches/ one crutch / and occasionally (for a few steps) nothing.

I am trying really hard to be smart and listen to my body. It got very achy in week three and after he took the splint off and told me I could sleep boot free - I stopped sleeping well. It was just enough painful at night to wake me but not enough for heavy duty meds.

I spent a week taking Ambien to sleep and that really helped. I'm not taking it anymore and am just sticking with ibuprofen and tylenol.

It's really nice at the moment because I'm on vacation and can sit more. Teaching kindergarten is not a sitting job and I think the fact that I'm on my feet so much is definitely part of the reason pain flares up so easily.

My scar has a spot that is still scabby and tender - more than the wacky nerve tenderness. I tend to wear a strip of bandaids under my sock to prevent rubbing.

This second surgery has been more painful for sure - the last one was a Brostrom procedure (ligament tightening - successful - and a suturing of the (then) smaller than an inch brevis tear. But I also have gotten to progress much faster which is very nice. It's also been nice not to have a cast.

Another difference is the swelling. Last time I got my cast off at 6 weeks - crazy I'm not even there yet ! - and I experienced a ton of swelling all over my foot. This time, the swelling has been much less. I am always a tiny bit swollen and only once did I get that penguin paddle swelling (funny how the boot shapes the swollen tissue!). And that was after I dumped my scooter and planted my foot down hard.

Anyway, I hope everyone out there going through foot surgery is doing well. I'm looking forward to the pain decreasing even more and to walking and getting back to the gym.

My next appointment is January 9th. We shall see what the cards hold for me then!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User
Re: 5 Weeks Post Peroneal Tendon Transfer

Looks like your hanging i n there. My appointment is the same day as yours! Good luck!!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Ladies, one thing I learned the hard way while going from NWB to PWB to FWB (and if you already know this, forgive me)...as you progress, take some time every day to "warm up". Start with 2 crutches. Once you can handle using only one crutch, still start with a few minutes of using 2. Then when you get to FWB, walk with one crutch for a few minutes. I didn't do it that way, just picked up where I had left off previously and it was much more difficult. I think it's a combo of muscle memory, stability and security (as in security blanket).
Also, if you go into an Aircast brace after the boot, make sure you try it on before you need it. I had a friend pick mine up from the doctor 2 weeks ago. I'll be ready for it next week but found out yesterday that it's too small and needs to be reordered.
Good luck! I think we are all going to have a great start to a new year.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
erin4 (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

I remember when you told me this a bit ago and I love love love this advice. I try to remember it every day. I start on the scooter every day and work to two crutches. But I'm still going back to the scooter during the day quite a bit. I use the crutches more at home but when I'm teaching, it's really infeasable... I'm on my feet so much I would wither in a half hour. I'm hoping when winter break is over (we go back the 8th) I will be more ready to use the crutches more... but my classroom is in the farthest corner of the building and while I can park nearby... getting my students to their specials classes (art, pe, etc) or going to the office, definitely is a long hike and there's no way I can make that yet without the knee scooter... sheesh!

And yes! The new year will bring great things!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Oh heck, Patti. I'm 3 months out and still use my scooter. I try to go from 8 to 5 on a crutch or cane then it's back to the scooter. I'm not giving it up until I'm back in a shoe. If I had to put on the boot to make a potty run in the middle of the night I would never sleep. Also, if you ever drop your bare foot hard on the floor (as I have done twice now) a couple days of boot 24/7 helps a lot.
Ginger

Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Oh so good to know! I also loved the advice about redoing the air in my Aircast boot every day or time I take it off. It's a pain but I'm in pain if I don't!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
(female)

Minnh HB User

I am glad to read your update. I am still going through PT instead of surgery as my tendon is not actually torn, but my arch is collapsed. I am so hopeful that I can avoid surgery, but I must say my foot gets tired and very achy after not much walking. I have completely eliminated all exercise until I can get the swelling under control. I told myself I would give it three months and then reevaluate. It seems crazy to have a tendon transfer when my tendon isn't actually torn!
Your progress is encouraging. Happy New Year!

The following user gives a hug of support to Minnh:
Snowrunner (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ms. Snowrunner, are you changing your screen name with the seasons?
Ginger

Old 12-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=ginger62;5110143]Ms. Snowrunner, are you changing your screen name with the seasons?
Ginger[/QUOTE]

Nope! My first one was deemed to personal (I still don't quite see how) and changed for me. I really didn't like generic Patti4479 So politely requested this one. I'm a snowboarder and runner (my saying... "I'm slow but I go!") and this made me happier...

The following user gives a hug of support to Snowrunner:
ginger62 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Weird but I have the app and the new post I put yesterday isn't here and the ones you guys replied aren't there. Hmm.

Here's what I wrote yesterday:

[QUOTE]I got that antsy feeling of needing to be productive today. My house was a disaster and needed work... So I cleaned. I walked on one crutch or none, used the knee scooter. Vacuumed with no crutches and on my knees at times.

I am a wee bit achy now so I'm icing and back to nwb for the night.

I'm pretty happy though. Sometimes you just have to clean your house to get some sanity back!
[/QUOTE]

I definitely paid for overworking my foot yesterday! Took it easy today and iced a bunch. Should be ready for more weight-bearing action on the morrow...

Last edited by Snowrunner; 12-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

[QUOTE=Minnh;5110102]I am glad to read your update. I am still going through PT instead of surgery as my tendon is not actually torn, but my arch is collapsed. I am so hopeful that I can avoid surgery, but I must say my foot gets tired and very achy after not much walking. I have completely eliminated all exercise until I can get the swelling under control. I told myself I would give it three months and then reevaluate. It seems crazy to have a tendon transfer when my tendon isn't actually torn!
Your progress is encouraging. Happy New Year![/QUOTE]

Minnh--my arch collapsed too!!! I did not need any type of tendon transfers or anything. I had my achilles lengthened. I had subtalar and talonavicular joint fusions. I would get pain in the top of my foot right at the bend of my ankle and in the arch when I was on my feet for any amount of time. I went through a lot of non surgical treatments but none helped. I hope you have better results!

~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vacuuming on your knees? I barely get my laundry put away! You go, girl...and come to my house whenever you want!
Ginger
PS...this site was wacky yesterday, maybe that's what happened to your posts. I kept getting directed to the sexual disorders page. Interesting, but not what I was expecting!

Last edited by ginger62; 12-30-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
(female)

Minnh HB User

[QUOTE=LadyKanner;5110333]Minnh--my arch collapsed too!!! I did not need any type of tendon transfers or anything. I had my achilles lengthened. I had subtalar and talonavicular joint fusions. I would get pain in the top of my foot right at the bend of my ankle and in the arch when I was on my feet for any amount of time. I went through a lot of non surgical treatments but none helped. I hope you have better results!

~Kimberly[/QUOTE]

Kimberly,
How are you doing now? When did you have your surgery? I am wondering if this is what my Dr. would do now that we have learned the tendon isn't actually torn. He did mention putting one screw in my heel to realign the bones, but he never actually named the procedure. Are you happy with the results of surgery?
Mary

Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=ginger62;5110377]Vacuuming on your knees? I barely get my laundry put away! You go, girl...and come to my house whenever you want!
Ginger
PS...this site was wacky yesterday, maybe that's what happened to your posts. I kept getting directed to the sexual disorders page. Interesting, but not what I was expecting![/QUOTE]

Ha. I didn't experience and redirection... Just missing posts.

And the vacuuming only happened once in 5 weeks. Don't make me out a hero!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
[QUOTE="ginger62;5110377"]Vacuuming on your knees? I barely get my laundry put away! You go, girl...and come to my house whenever you want!
Ginger
PS...this site was wacky yesterday, maybe that's what happened to your posts. I kept getting directed to the sexual disorders page. Interesting, but not what I was expecting![/QUOTE]

Maybe they're trying to tell you something ginger! Jk haha. Hey minnh, you can read my situation in the post about 16 days till subtalar revision. It's complicated.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread