It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

Jill1201 HB User
Electric "zinger" sensation after bunion surgery

Hi all...I am 5 weeks post op for bunion surgery. I have been a bad patient and have suffered a stress fracture because I tried too much . Totally my fault. Ever since the surgery, I have been experiencing these "zingers" almost like an electric shock on the bottom of my big toe. I can't even touch it without experiencing this. I believe this is why I got a stress fracture..because I was walking strangely trying to avoid any contact with the big toe and the ground. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last? I'm heading back to work on Monday in the surgical boot, but I'm nervous about the "zingers".

Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
(female)

tla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB User
Re: Electric "zinger" sensation after bunion surgery

I'm 5 weeks post op and have been weight bearing since surgery (in a post op shoe). I experienced "zingers" for several weeks afterwards in various locations but haven't really experienced any for over a week at least. At first I'd have many a day, then a couple a day, then every couple of days and then I realized I hadn't had any in a while. Since you're in a boot maybe your surgery was more invasive than mine and your zingers will last a little longer. I don't think I'd be too concerned at this point in the process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi there, I think what you're experiencing is the nerve regrowth. There are medicines for it if its real bad. Lyrica, neurontin, elavil, topomax and I know there are more. Topomax is the only that I know of that won't put weight on you it actually helps you to loose weight! lol! Good luck, Cathy

Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I had the "zingers" after my surgery. I believe it is normal. The more you walk the less it will happen. With my experience it will all gradually go away. My procedure was in April and every once in a while I will still get a few.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread

Tags
big toe, bunion, nerve, pain, surgery