It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

Newlyshiftfoot HB User
Boot vs. Cast

I'm scheduled to go to the doc this week and think they are going to take the cast off and offer me a boot. I'm still NWB for at least 4 more weeks according to my doc so what are peoples thoughts on staying in the cast or getting a boot. I've heard the boot is bulky, heavy, etc. The cast doesn't bother me that much, just using a bag to shower tears the hair off my leg and that hurts =-p

Thanks

Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Boot vs. Cast

In my opinion I would probably stay in the cast. I know when I got for a cast change next week the doctor is putting another cast on and I can start PWB. Also if you go to any major pharmacy chain you can buy cast covers. I bought one and I haven't had any problems with it. For $10 it was worth it to not have the hassle of trash bags and tape!
Good luck!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I was in a boot for 6 weeks before surgery (FWB) and in a cast (NWB) now for a week. The cast is MUCH lighter, a lot less bulky and easier to deal with, in my opinion. I will go into a boot in 3 more weeks, and honestly, even though I'll get to start PWB, I'm kind of dreading it. To me, the only advantage to the boot is you can take it off to shower, and he said after a week or so I'll probably be comfortable enough to take it off to sleep (which I have to admit I'm really looking forward to). To me, if you're NWB either way, and you can live without taking it off to shower or sleep, if it were me, I'd probably stick with the cast.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I went from the post op splint directly into the boot for 8 wks so I don't have any experience with a cast. The boot is bulky but it's not really that bad. It's nice to be able to take it off to shower and not hassle with the worry of getting it wet. You're also able to massage your foot a little and inflate/deflate to be more comfortable. And like NCGirl said, the first night of sleeping with an unencumbered foot is absolute heaven.
Ginger

Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

I have both experiences... With my first surgery last March, I was in a cast for 6 weeks... For this one, my doc (same) put me in a boot after two so I can flex my foot... Apparently it needs to flex or I will for scar tissue that can adhere to stuff and cause major problems later.

If scar tissue isn't an issue... And you have a choice... I'd opt for the cast. I've had a really hard time with sleep - sleeping in the boot actually hurts for me - and without it, I move it too much. Also, a cast is made to form to your leg while the boot isn't.

Some downsides to a cast (for honesty)... I was able to easily ice this time and did not swell nearly as much as last time. Also, even if I do swell, I just lower the volume of air on the boot so it's not so tight. My cast last time got tight then too loose..

Your call of course and good luck!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Thumbs up Re: Boot vs. Cast

The perk to the cast is that it is definitely lighter like everyone else said. There are cast covers at pharmacies you can get for usually $10-15. Must easier and less abrasive than taping a bag to your leg. Plus side to the boot is definitely that you can wash your leg. Sometimes it just got to the point where the cast felt gross. But that was during the summer months. My boot did not have air to inflate or deflate. It is possible that your surgeon will suggest you start doing small exercises while seated. Mine had me spelling the alphabet with my toes when he put me in the boot. Told me to take it off while seated with my feet up and do that. Every procedure and surgeon is different though. I wish you the best and keep in touch with your recovery!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread