It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User
Re: 16 more days till subtalar revision!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxandhound View Post
I also mentally calculate how much walking is needed and avoid accordingly unless I am feeling good/which I always regret later when just like clockwork, the flare-up will arrive and make me pay for hours if I dont ice! Anyway, sometimes you have to get out there for even the smallest errands. I gathered the courage to do last minute Xmas shopping and of course the only store open was a Super-Walmart from hell. I had to scream/beg/almost cry when they locked the door to the entrance that I parked in. They wanted me to walk across the store, which is like a football field. I was in so much pain, I had no choice but to demand a manager. Do you know what the security guard said to me? He said "if you are injured then why are you here shopping." I was so hurt. No one understands the pain we endure to do simple things.
Wow people can be so misunderstanding at times They just dont seem to understand till they experience it themselves! Did you ever manage to get the door unlocked for you? And that was Harsh of the security guard to say that people just have no sympathy at times it isnt fair for people to be treated that way! Hope it goes better in the new year!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
(female)

Minnh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal1968 View Post
Hi Minnh
Yes we are all governed by how much pain we can tolerate, and most of us would walk to the ends of the earth for our kids ( not literary). But I'm sure we all over do it, lol
So, are you having/had surgery? What is it you are suffering from?
Thank you for following my recovery, it will be nice to have someone to chat to.
Have a happy new year tonight, not sure who will get it first you guys or us?

Hi Animal,
No, I have never had surgery on my foot.
I have left ankle posterior tibialis dysfunction. An MRI showed no tear in the tendon, which is what my Dr. had suspected. But I have significant swelling, and my arch has collapsed. Since the tendons are normal, I thought I would try PT, along with wearing my orthotics constantly to see if I could get back to a liveable state. I have had foot pain for years, but these last few months it has really flared up. Back in September I was helping a friend cater a dinner and was walking constantly for nearly 6 hours. I was also not wearing my orthotics, as I had to be dressed up for the event and they didn't fit in the shoes I was wearing. I could kick myself for being so stupid! I have been trying to recover ever since.
Happy New Year to you, too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User

Kimberly - I will be rooting for you! I think your positive outlook will help you through your recovery. Dealing with the snow/ice will be scary - other than Dr Appointments, will you HAVE to go outside? I know staying inside all the time can cause anyone to go crazy, but perhaps it is the thing to do during bad weather. Can you have groceries delivered to you? Other than getting steel tips for your crutches, and carrying a backpack full of salt with you at all times, I am not sure what else you can do to battle the snow/ice.

We will all be with you during your SUCCESSFUL recovery!!!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
It is almost a good thing that I don't work right now. At least I won't have to go out daily for that. I live with my boyfriend so he will be able to take care of the groceries. I dealt okay over the summer but not sure what ill do this winter if I need to go out to the doctor and I'm the only one home and can't scrape my car. There is a cab service in town but its like $10. My aunt works for them so perhaps I can get a discount. Hate to pay that much to travel 3 miles. I have family members I can ask or help. Thank you for all of your support. This board has been so helpful for me. I will continue to post throughout my recovery

~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Kimberly... I'll be thinking of you as you go through this again sweetheart. I really think you will need to stay home a ton and use a can when it's icy out and there's no one to help you out. Check around your area to see if there's a local service for those who are disabled - even temporarily so - or consider contacting a local church to help out. It is hard for me to accept help from others and sometimes I end up doing way too much. Don't fall into that trap and line up some support now.

I had all my appointments set right when I left surgery - they did it for me - so I could make arrangements in advance. I just needed to let work know (my appointments conflict with meetings after school) and find babysitters.

You can do this and it will be okay.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrunner View Post
Kimberly... I'll be thinking of you as you go through this again sweetheart. I really think you will need to stay home a ton and use a can when it's icy out and there's no one to help you out. Check around your area to see if there's a local service for those who are disabled - even temporarily so - or consider contacting a local church to help out. It is hard for me to accept help from others and sometimes I end up doing way too much. Don't fall into that trap and line up some support now.

I had all my appointments set right when I left surgery - they did it for me - so I could make arrangements in advance. I just needed to let work know (my appointments conflict with meetings after school) and find babysitters.

You can do this and it will be okay.
SNOWRUNNER---I found out today from my aunt that that cab service does rides for $1.50 if you're considered disabled. My aunt said that she would get my name on that list so if necessary I will be able to get a ride round trip for $3! Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate all of your support!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

That's awesome about the car service. The countdown begins!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

That is wonderful news!!! Take advantage of it.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
That's awesome about the car service. The countdown begins!
Yep! In about 6 hours I will be down to 13 days!!! I just set my alarm to get up tomorrow morning. I have to be at the hospital at 9:45 for my pre-op testing. Guess I will have to attempt to go to bed before 3am! I am used to sleeping in until 10 and I have to set my alarm to get up at that time. I have become very nocturnal.

I hope you had a good new years day and here's to a year of happy feet!

~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: LadyKanner
ginger62 (01-02-2013), Snowrunner (01-01-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just got back from my pre-op testing about an hour ago. It went well. I met with nursing, the lab and anesthesia. I was actually given the option for a block this time but I declined it. I would rather know my pain is managed before I leave the hospital.

Best news of all!!! I qualified for financial aid to pay 100% of my hospital stay and surgery!!!!!!

What a load off of my back!
Now lets get this business over with. Two weeks from right now I will be recovering in my hospital room.

Thank you for your support!
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Kimberly the countdown begins. I am sure you're going to do fine. I wouldn't be concerned about the ice since mostly you're going to be in the house. And using a knee walker is the best thing for in-house . I am now off the narcotics and quite alert but very bored. I see the doctor in three weeks and I think that I will get another cast. The hardest part is keeping this foot really way up. But you know the days pass. And in the bigger picture this will be a blip.
Kimberly have you heard from exdancer2? She had a very hard time getting ready for the surgery. I think it's this week that she will have the splint taken off and the cast put on. Somehow there are so many of these threads I lose them and not sure which one is which.
Take care time is going forward and you were going to be fine.
Phyllis

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the encouragement Pesher! No I haven't heard from exdancer at all. It's been quite a while since anyone has heard from her. I hope you're doing well!
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I talk into my iPad so all the mistakes are the iPad mistakes. Please accept apologies.
I am doing okay under the circumstances and I know we are all doing okay. We have no choice. I do wonder though about ex-dancer2.
Phyllis

Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Kimberly, wonderful news about the financial aid. Congrats!! That is a huge relief, I'm sure. The next 13 days will fly by, and soon you'll be joining us in recovery!
Jeanne

Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
Veteran
(female)

Fabulous about getting the appointment done and qualifying for financial aid! What an utter relief that must be. While I like the block, I did not like the wear off moment... This time was compounded by the fact that I had to take my youngest to the doctor for respiratory issues less than 24 hours post surgery so didn't take meds... The block wore off while I was out. Yikes! I might opt for no block if I ever have to do this again...

Closed Thread

Tags
arthrodesis, subtalar, subtalar fusion, surgery