It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: 16 more days till subtalar revision!!!

Thank you! I cannot stress enough how grateful I am for the support I receive. Part of me wants the nerve block to help with the pain but my biggest fear is that my pain will be managed fine due to the block then I'll be sent home and I'll have major issues. Have any of you had two separate surgeries and had the block on one foot and not the other? What was your experiences?

Thank you!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #32
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

hey Kimberly wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgery hope it goes great! As i am sure it will We will all be here thinking of you

The Following User Says Thank You to Star6 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-02-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Thank you for your support Star! It is good to know people are out there that understand what we are going through!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #34
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKanner View Post
Thank you for your support Star! It is good to know people are out there that understand what we are going through!
Welcome i think everyone who goes through or is experiencing this needs some support there are those of us that are just lucky to have found this board and have people that have gone through similar things to share our stories with and to support each other through the hard times Will keep a track of your progress all the best!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #35
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User

Quote:
Part of me wants the nerve block to help with the pain but my biggest fear is that my pain will be managed fine due to the block then I'll be sent home and I'll have major issues. Have any of you had two separate surgeries and had the block on one foot and not the other? What was your experiences?

Thank you!
~Kimberly
Kimberly - first, SCORE on the financial aid!!!!! I had no idea that financial aid for medical procedures even existed, and I am sure that lessons the load on your mind.

Regarding the block, please keep in mind that they are NOT 100% guaranteed to take correctly. I had a popliteal block in the OR (while I was under general) to deal with the post surgical pain that was supposed to remain in for 2-3 days at home, but a few hours after I got out of the OR, it was evident that it wasn't working, and the morphine & percocet cocktail began .

Despite this happening to me, I would still opt to have one again. If it doesn't take, you should know very quickly. Also, my instructions were to have been to start taking my pain meds as soon as I got home (even with the block) on a regular basis, so that when the block wears off, you will already have the pain killers in your system at a high level. So, if your doc is OK with you taking your pain meds ON TOP of your block, I say you have nothing to lose. As we all know, the worst pain is the 1-2 days right after surgery. Could you talk to your doc about your concerns and perhaps ask him if you can plan to stay in the hospital for 1 night to make sure you don't get breakthrough pain and that the block actually takes?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am spending 1-2 nights in the hospital and opted out of having the block. I didn't have it last time and managed okay. The first two nights were rough but after that I did okay with only Percocet.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

So today, 4 weeks post, I am dressed and up. Friends coming over for the first time to have lunch with me. Feeling a little bit more like myself. And trying to make it through each day. This very cold zero weather does not help or encourage me to go out. Glad to hear about the financial aid. I had nerve blocks and I stayed in the hospital. And I also took pain meds Orally. Do whatever you have to do those first two days because that's the hardest part. Will keep in touch.
Phyllis

Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Phyllis! Glad you're getting some company! Sometimes those little things make you feel better.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #39
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

There are some other comments in the thread that I know I'm going to want to reply to but I just wanted to say that reading again about the PT doing her clinicals and breaking that bone makes me want to go find her and smack her all over again. Just grrrrrr

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxandhound View Post
He said "if you are injured then why are you here shopping." I was so hurt. No one understands the pain we endure to do simple things.
Because you don't have servants to get everything for you? Because even though you have had surgery life goes on?

After my surgery I can vividly remember to a store and having to walk to the BACK of the store to get what I wanted. It was like one of those horror movies where the end of the hallway keeps getting further and further away.

Keep your chin up, you'll get back to normal walking soon(ish).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #41
(female)

Quote:
I dealt okay over the summer but not sure what ill do this winter if I need to go out to the doctor and I'm the only one home and can't scrape my car.
The thought of you trying to be NWB and scraping your windshield just makes my stomach curl. I think I remember seeing some kind of mat or cover that you could put on your windshield when you get home and then you can pull it off when you get ready to leave. That way you don't have to scrape or anything. Where I live we don't get but maybe a day or two of snow so I don't really have any other recommendations but that one.

Please keep us posted on your recovery. I will do better about stopping in here. Just got busy with that whole thing called life....

Denise

The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpstress For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
(female)

Quote:
Best news of all!!! I qualified for financial aid to pay 100% of my hospital stay and surgery!!!!!!
That honestly just makes my day! I knew that you were worried about finances and that we had talked about the Shriner's but this is even better. Yeah you!!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Great to hear from you Grump!!! It's been a while! I contacted the national president of the Shriners and they couldn't help me because I wasn't a child. They said that they focus on children. They were great in getting back to me though. I was surprised at the quick response being I contacted the president. HAHA

You are right that some people just don't understand what it is like to need something but know and have to think "how bad do I want this? is it worth the pain?". The other day I needed sour cream and was right next to a large store that had it but knew that I had to walk to the back of the store for that one small thing so I went to a convenience store and took the chance that they carried it. Maybe that is just laziness! haha Glad you've come back to talk to us!

~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #44
(female)

Did you try telling them that while your body may be an adult you are really immature?

When I was NWB I would have dreams about going to the grocery store and just giving them my list and paying for everything when someone went and got everything for me.

When you have to think "am I going to be huffing, puffing and sweating by the time I get back to my car only to have to go home and rest for an hour" it's not laziness that you don't want to walk to the back of the store.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #45
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Ha! Awesome reply... Immature. <giggle>

And I agree completely about the laziness issue. Everything is harder and takig shortcuts right now is essential...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Closed Thread

Tags
arthrodesis, subtalar, subtalar fusion, surgery