It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Thumbs up 16 more days till subtalar revision!!!

Well 16 more days left until I am back on the chopping block. I have mixed feelings. I am absolutely dreading starting this process all over again. The other part of me can't wait to get it over with.

For those of you who are new and don't know what my story is, here is a recap. Injured my left ankle playing softball in June 2011. Didn't go to the surgeon until August. The injury triggered my arch to collapse. I have always been flat footed but this was the straw that broke the camels back. Tried numerous non surgical techniques including cortisone shots, speed brace, more cortisone, boot, more cortisone, physical therapy, more cortisone, and more PT. None of that worked so we opted for surgery.

The surgery entailed two fusions in the subtalar joint and talonavicular joint and also achilles tendon lengthening. Everything went well. Surgery was April 20th. I was in shoes and walking towards the end of July. In the beginning of August I showed up for PT to find out that I was going to be working with a student in her clinicals. Typically when this happens, she is supervised. Well this time they were short handed and we were left working alone. She told me she was going to do a test of my strength (which somewhat alerted me because only the PT usually does that during assessments) but I complied. Instead of applying gentle steady pressure, she stood up and applied a hard quick force. I immediately came up off the table cursing, started crying (first time since surgery) and told her I would kick her in the face if she did it again. It was bad! I continued on with the session despite the pain. Next session I told the other PTA what had happened and she told me that the girl did not document that into my file at all. I also told my PT who is also the owner of the facility.

At my next visit with my surgeon I mentioned to him what had happened and that I had started having popping in my subtalar joint. He ordered a CT which came back to show that the fusion of the subtalar joint had been broken. I was put back to NWB status and started taking excessive amounts of calcium and started using a bone growth stimulator. I did that from August until December with no results. The bone doesn't want to fuse again so here I am today, waiting on another surgery.

The surgeon is going to go in and remove all hardware (unless he can get the screw between the TN Staples). If he can get the screw between them he is going to leave those staples there as I have extremely hard bones and he thinks it will be tough to get them out. He had a very hard time getting them in. Said I have the hardest bones he has worked on in 14 years he has been in practice. Guess I won't have to worry about osteoporosis. He is going to shave all of the bone growth from the fusion out that is busted up and expose some bleeding bone in the subtalar joint to better get the bone cells producing. He will then use a cadaver bone graft and fill the joint with grafting putty that contains live bone cells.

Sorry to ramble so long. I get pretty anxious when I think about this. I am very concerned about using crutches and such during the winter months. I live in north central Ohio and have a lot of snow and ice. I also question how I am going to manage to clean my car off from the snow and ice when I am by myself on crutches? That is stressing me out more than anything! Do you have any suggestions for anti-slipping? I had it all figured out over the summer months. My biggest stress then was rain. Now I am very afraid of some falls. I am trying to prepare myself. My crutches I had last time were very narrow and rubbed sores on the sides of my wrists so I bought some new ones online. I also ordered a cast cover to keep my toes warm during the winter months. It is on back order so the company sent me one that is not fleece lined for free for my troubles. The one I ordered will arrive next week which is still way before I actually need it. It was a nice gesture for them to do that though. I won't need to decorate my cast this time. My cast covers are cheetah print!

I will be spending 1-2 nights in the hospital again depending on pain management. Last time it was 2 nights so that is what I am preparing myself for. I was not offered a nerve block last time and not sure I will take one this time. I want to know for sure that my pain is managed before leaving the hospital. I have mixed feelings about them. I hear such good things but then I also hear where some were sent home in zero pain only to have the bottom fall out later on and be in horrific pain. My brother will be coming to stay with me for a few days after surgery. He is a registered nurse and it feels good to have someone there who knows what is going on. He lives in Ft. Wayne, IN. I don't think my mom will make it this time due to recently starting a new job. My parents live in NC. My boyfriend will also be there for me the whole way. We live together and he does a great job taking care of me.

Well, I have rambled enough. I cannot thank everyone here enough for your continued support. You have really helped me get through this ordeal. I really appreciate it! I will continue to keep in touch throughout the recovery process.

Have a Happy New Year!
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Last edited by LadyKanner; 12-29-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Addition

The following 10 users give hugs of support to: LadyKanner
angelee43 (12-29-2012), Ditsy1 (12-31-2012), Erie0385 (12-30-2012), foxandhound (12-30-2012), ginger62 (12-30-2012), Mr Blotto (12-31-2012), Ruth743 (12-31-2012), Snowrunner (12-31-2012), Star6 (12-30-2012), teil3156 (12-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
(female)

foxandhound HB User
Re: 16 more days till subtalar revision!!!

I am so sorry to read this. I just want to give you the biggest hug. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise, go with your gut and just politely voice, hey, im going to have to stop you there. I dont feel comfortable with this and end it there. It applies to a lot of things actually, but its difficult advice to take bc most of us fear that we will look silly, seem difficult, or offend a professional. Yea, its happened to me. This is not at all in line with the severity of your story, but I sent in my orthotics to be re-lined and they came back to me with a huge shelf of foam across the arch. Totally bizzare. I figured the doc must have approved this! I put them in and I immediately felt the shelf press on my arch and above it. Within a few hours, I was unable to move, let alone stand. I was in the acute stage of non-weight bearing pain for months which totally sucks because all you want is to not feel pain when resting. It ruined my Holiday season and here I am switching insurances to try to deal with it, with a seasoned PRO. I know it tore something badly. Anyhow, the area was obviously compromised to begin with, but it sucks.

I will pray that your next surgery goes well and that you will be here to tell us all the good news! I feel this was a freak accident and the next one will be a done deal! Sending positive vibes! Sorry about idiot ppl in the health industry. :/
xoxo

The Following User Says Thank You to foxandhound For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

So sorry to hear i really hope this works out for you Glad you will have some help after your surgery and its not good what happened with the PT so i really hope all goes well for you Best of luck with it all and we are all here for you if you need us

Happy New Year too

Last edited by Mod-S4; 03-16-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I was discharged the same day and was terribly afraid that the pain would be overwhelming. It sucked (gritting your teeth and yoga/Lamaze breathing work wonders), but you can do it if you have to. Keep posting!
New year, new life, hopefully. Big hugs.
Ginger

Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I am so sorry to hear all this. Just to let you know I did have nerve blocks. One in the foot and one in my leg. I also had a pain pump where I could press a button every 10 minutes. This was all in the hospital. They removed all the nerve blocks One day before my discharge. So I was able to manage my pain alone. And I just continued when I got home. I keep thinking once I get the cast off everything is going to be fine. But the more I read the more realize there are road blocks ahead. I am so sorry about the PT. We all have to be our own advocates. Hope you stay calm for the next 16 days. Happy new year to us all. Hope we will all be walking this spring.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Thanks! I'm just ready to have my life back. Sorry to hear about your situation.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

Hi
You know those days when you start to think maybe, just maybe I can get away with not having the surgery and try and muddle through, well just push them to the back of your head, lol
After having my surgery cancelled on dec 13th because the surgeon was sick, I was starting to have these thoughts, today I realised there is no way!
My husband and I took my daughter to winter wonderland in London, a long way from where we live, my husband was driving and found the car park, not knowing the area at all, we started off on our adventure, after 10 mins walking I was starting to think I couldn't see anything, turns out my husband had parked at the wrong end of the park, this meant a 2.4km walk to get to the park, not wanting to disappoint my daughter i carried on thinking i would be fine (after all i had my trusty painkillers and anti inflammatories with me) walking around the attractions all day and 2.4 km back to the car....at this point I was almost crying my ankle hurt so much! Now back at home with foot elavated and realised how much my life revolves around my foot, and how as a family i am restricting the things we would like to do, so although nervous like you all say on here..........
Ready to get on with the rest of my life

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Animal1968
foxandhound (12-30-2012), ginger62 (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User

And I wish you the bestest of luck too, we can share our recovery stories as I am back on for Jan 10th if you want to?
Happy New Year to you all from England! ��

Old 12-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
(female)

foxandhound HB User

I read in another post that you had arch pain and pain on top of foot when standing/walking for normal periods of time. Where exactly was the pain in the arch--- medial, middle, lateral? Why is pain felt there, is there an impingement? Where was pain on top of foot---below ankle bend, at ankle bend? Sounds very familiar. LOL! Wondering if I am experiencing the same. Do you also have valgus of the hindfoot or maybe all flatfooted folks do?

When the arches collapse, are there some situations where the the post-tibial tendon is not affected (stretched, thinned, small tear, etc)??

Wishing you well and sending tons of positive vibes!!! xoxo

Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
(female)

Minnh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal1968 View Post
Hi
You know those days when you start to think maybe, just maybe I can get away with not having the surgery and try and muddle through, well just push them to the back of your head, lol
After having my surgery cancelled on dec 13th because the surgeon was sick, I was starting to have these thoughts, today I realised there is no way!
My husband and I took my daughter to winter wonderland in London, a long way from where we live, my husband was driving and found the car park, not knowing the area at all, we started off on our adventure, after 10 mins walking I was starting to think I couldn't see anything, turns out my husband had parked at the wrong end of the park, this meant a 2.4km walk to get to the park, not wanting to disappoint my daughter i carried on thinking i would be fine (after all i had my trusty painkillers and anti inflammatories with me) walking around the attractions all day and 2.4 km back to the car....at this point I was almost crying my ankle hurt so much! Now back at home with foot elavated and realised how much my life revolves around my foot, and how as a family i am restricting the things we would like to do, so although nervous like you all say on here..........
Ready to get on with the rest of my life

Oh my, reading this post I had to say it sounds so much like my life! So much of what I do (or don't do) is directly related to how many steps are required! I wish you well with your surgery and will be reading to see how your recovery goes.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxandhound View Post
I am so sorry to read this. I just want to give you the biggest hug. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise, go with your gut and just politely voice, hey, im going to have to stop you there. I dont feel comfortable with this and end it there. It applies to a lot of things actually, but its difficult advice to take bc most of us fear that we will look silly, seem difficult, or offend a professional. Yea, its happened to me. This is not at all in line with the severity of your story, but I sent in my orthotics to be re-lined and they came back to me with a huge shelf of foam across the arch. Totally bizzare. I figured the doc must have approved this! I put them in and I immediately felt the shelf press on my arch and above it. Within a few hours, I was unable to move, let alone stand. I was in the acute stage of non-weight bearing pain for months which totally sucks because all you want is to not feel pain when resting. It ruined my Holiday season and here I am switching insurances to try to deal with it, with a seasoned PRO. I know it tore something badly. Anyhow, the area was obviously compromised to begin with, but it sucks.

I will pray that your next surgery goes well and that you will be here to tell us all the good news! I feel this was a freak accident and the next one will be a done deal! Sending positive vibes! Sorry about idiot ppl in the health industry. :/
xoxo
Foxandhound---First off, I would like to thank you for your support. I really appreciate it. When the incident happened in PT there wasn't anything that really led me to believe she wouldn't be able to perform the test properly. She did wanted to test my strength. She told me to hold my foot up and keep her from pushing my foot down. My PT had done this during his initial assessment so I knew what to expect. Instead of applying a firm slow pressure, she stood up and quickly jammed my foot straight down. I had no way of preventing her from pushing it and it went down so far it just broke. Took everything in me to not slap her senseless. Given she had any sense at all. I am ready to get the ball rolling and get this taken care of. I go this Wednesday for my pre-op bloodwork. Thank you for the good vibes. I hope all is going well with you.
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
foxandhound (12-31-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
foxandhound (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thumbs up Re: 16 more days till subtalar revision!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxandhound View Post
I read in another post that you had arch pain and pain on top of foot when standing/walking for normal periods of time. Where exactly was the pain in the arch--- medial, middle, lateral? Why is pain felt there, is there an impingement? Where was pain on top of foot---below ankle bend, at ankle bend? Sounds very familiar. LOL! Wondering if I am experiencing the same. Do you also have valgus of the hindfoot or maybe all flatfooted folks do?

When the arches collapse, are there some situations where the the post-tibial tendon is not affected (stretched, thinned, small tear, etc)??

Wishing you well and sending tons of positive vibes!!! xoxo
Foxandhound-- My major area of pain was on the inside top of my foot over the talonavicular joint. Right up where the bend of the ankle goes to the leg. It got to be so painful that I couldn't walk more than 20 minutes without severe pain. My subtalar joint was only fused because I am not a little girl and the t/n joint that needed fused is a small joint. It was done as a precautionary and he said that it would need to be in the future anyhow that it was already deteriorating. Go figure that its the joint that broke. lol My tendons and ligaments are all healthy. No valgus of the hind foot for me.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
I was discharged the same day and was terribly afraid that the pain would be overwhelming. It sucked (gritting your teeth and yoga/Lamaze breathing work wonders), but you can do it if you have to. Keep posting!
New year, new life, hopefully. Big hugs.
Ginger
Ginger---I don't think I could have handled being home the first day discharged. My pain was pretty bad and I was receiving both percoset and demoral for pain. That would have been rough! I cried on the second day because I just wanted to go home and I kept passing out trying to do the stairs with PT. Finally I convinced them I would be fine that I was on crutches before. I had this tiny girl about 5'0 tall trying to hold my 5'11 plus size self up against the wall while they grabbed a wheelchair as I was passing out. My mom said it was a pretty funny sight.

Have a happy new year!!!!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
(female)

Hi Minnh
Yes we are all governed by how much pain we can tolerate, and most of us would walk to the ends of the earth for our kids ( not literary). But I'm sure we all over do it, lol
So, are you having/had surgery? What is it you are suffering from?
Thank you for following my recovery, it will be nice to have someone to chat to.
Have a happy new year tonight, not sure who will get it first you guys or us?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Animal1968 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
(female)

foxandhound HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnh View Post
Oh my, reading this post I had to say it sounds so much like my life! So much of what I do (or don't do) is directly related to how many steps are required! I wish you well with your surgery and will be reading to see how your recovery goes.
I also mentally calculate how much walking is needed and avoid accordingly unless I am feeling good/which I always regret later when just like clockwork, the flare-up will arrive and make me pay for hours if I dont ice! Anyway, sometimes you have to get out there for even the smallest errands. I gathered the courage to do last minute Xmas shopping and of course the only store open was a Super-Walmart from hell. I had to scream/beg/almost cry when they locked the door to the entrance that I parked in. They wanted me to walk across the store, which is like a football field. I was in so much pain, I had no choice but to demand a manager. Do you know what the security guard said to me? He said "if you are injured then why are you here shopping." I was so hurt. No one understands the pain we endure to do simple things.

The following user gives a hug of support to foxandhound:
Snowrunner (12-31-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
arthrodesis, subtalar, subtalar fusion, surgery