It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #181
(female)

Hikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB User
Unhappy Re: PTTD Surgery Done - Recovery Begins

Cinder , how many weeks are you postoperative? I figure this is day five for me. I went outside for a little while. It was good to have a change of scenery. I'm getting stronger every day. I feeling burning and cramping and a little numbness mostly in my arch. Is that normal? Did they tell you to wiggle your toes in your splint? It doesn't seem like the ice can do much good, but I keep on using it. How about ibuprofen? We're you advised to take it or any other inflammatories? I can't believe I'm not supposed to be using that on a regular basis. Thanks for your help and support! [/I]

Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #182
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery Done - Recovery Begins

Hi Hikerdreams, I had my surgery on December 27th so I am a little more than 6 months and you are doing just wonderful. The pains and aches are very normal. I tried taking the Advil during the day and the pain pill in the evening, but take the pain medication in the early days to keep ahead of the pain. The top of my foot was in a lot of pain this weekend from all the standing and running around I did for the baby shower but it calmed down after resting it yesterday and I won't do as much today to get it back it feeling better. So as you can see the process is long and you will still have small set backs in the healing process. Keep up the good work. It might be hard to wiggly your toes if they are swollen. Take it slow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #183
(female)

Hikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB UserHikerdreams HB User

Hi cinder. I talked toy doctor's office yesterday and they told me not to take ibuprofen because it can interfere with bone healing. Why don't they tell you that up front I wonder? I think I was trying to wean off pain meds too early because I was on a lot of cramping pain last night . Guess I need to stay ahead of this pain better.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #184
(female)

Hi Hikerdreams, It's a good thing you did check they did not tell me that either. Keep healing and yes stay ahead of the pain. My ankle is still swollen, but it is extremely hot here and I have been running around doing errands and things. Keep icing and elevating. I know they said if you elevate above the heart that is good for the healing process too.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #185
(female)

DeeDeeMc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Hi Hikerdreams, It's a good thing you did check they did not tell me that either. Keep healing and yes stay ahead of the pain. My ankle is still swollen, but it is extremely hot here and I have been running around doing errands and things. Keep icing and elevating. I know they said if you elevate above the heart that is good for the healing process too.
Hi Cinders, I have not been on here for a while. The weather has been extremely hot and my foot is so swollen I have had to go back to my trainers that are a size bigger. I had surgery at the end of January and cannot believe how slow the healing process is. Some days I feel great & feel I can do anything then some days my foot/ankle is so stiff and have a pronounced limp.
Cinders are you still in trainers or have you progressed to shoes?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #186
(female)

Hi Dee Dee MC its so nice to hear from you. Yes the weather here is very hot and my foot swells too. I am still in my trainers, but occasionally I can wear athlethic Dr. Scholls scandals. They feel ok. Yes the progress is very long. I am going on 7 months. On August 12 I will have my screws out. The doctor said it will help with the flexibility of the foot so it doesn't feel as stiff. I don't want to have this surgery, but he assures me it will be about a 2 week recovery and will feel so much better. I do sometimes still have balance issues and maybe taking the screws out that will help it too. Keep in touch. It was so great to hear from you and keep up that healing process.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #187
(female)

DeeDeeMc HB User
Wink Re: PTTD Surgery Done - Recovery Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Hi Dee Dee MC its so nice to hear from you. Yes the weather here is very hot and my foot swells too. I am still in my trainers, but occasionally I can wear athlethic Dr. Scholls scandals. They feel ok. Yes the progress is very long. I am going on 7 months. On August 12 I will have my screws out. The doctor said it will help with the flexibility of the foot so it doesn't feel as stiff. I don't want to have this surgery, but he assures me it will be about a 2 week recovery and will feel so much better. I do sometimes still have balance issues and maybe taking the screws out that will help it too. Keep in touch. It was so great to hear from you and keep up that healing process.
My consultant is going to take out my screw on the 1st August he said it is just below the skin & I will be walking around in a couple of days. I hope so as I go on holiday 2 weeks later. I can not balance on one foot currently & experience a lot of pain when walking

Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #188
(female)

That is what my doctor said too, I will be walking around soon after the screws come up. Keep in touch and let us know how you make out.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #189
(female)

Hi, Everybody! I just reread your posts- all ten pages. It is so, so helpful to read back when you were in the stages I am in. It is ten days since surgery for me. I am so much stronger now to move around, although I am still getting burning and cramping in my arch. Some days, I haven't used many pain pills, other days, I am still taking one on a regular basis and two when I go to bed. Next Thursday, I get my splint off and get my cast. I am going to take pictures after reading your posts, and am looking forward to the next phase. Occasionally, I accidentally bump my foot into something, so I will feel more secure in the cast. One question for you... do you have suggestions of how you handle the knee scooter in the bathroom? I have been switching to crutches to maneuver to the toilet, but I wish I could figure out how to do it with just the scooter, especially when I go back to work and have to use the handicapped stall in the girl's bathroom. I am taking six weeks off total. Thanks for all of your sharing, encouragment, and wisdom! It's so inspiring to hear you all walking again and it getting less painful in a fairly quick timeframe after you started PT. Best to all of you!

Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #190
(female)

Hi Hikerdreams,

I scooted the scooter into the bathroom and locked it into place and used the scooter and the side of the cabinet. I was fortunate enough that my bathrooms had counter tops and cabinets to help me lean on but once the scooter was locked and with a little balance from holding on to either the wall or counter I found that was easier. You will find your own way of doing it. I was besides myself at first until I learned how to do it. I do have a step/ledge to go down to my bathroom downstairs and I put a chair on the top of the ledge and sat down and twisted myself over and lifted the scooter over me and lowered it down and was able to get down and this works for anything you have a step/ledge to get down.

The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:
Hikerdreams (07-20-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #191
(female)

DeeDeeMc HB User

I did use my scooter upstairs, I used crutches & had a pirching stool in the bathroom & a raised toilet seat. You are doing very well I was taking a lot more pain meds than you and did not return to work until 3.5 months after surgery. You are doing amazingly!

The Following User Says Thank You to DeeDeeMc For This Useful Post:
Hikerdreams (07-21-2013)
Closed Thread