It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery Done - Recovery Begins

He will visit very early in the morning the next day and I have not seen him since.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Cinder, how are you doing? You're 4 weeks out now, right? Going crazy yet?
Ginger

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #33
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Hang in there!!! Enjoy a good book, catch up on movies....do all of those wonderfully indulgent, lazy, relaxing things you never get to do....with no guilt!! Hope things are going well!
Bonnie
I was so looking forward to all of those things when I was in my recovery and staying home but with my pain meds I slept right through it all! When people would ask how I was doing my husband would show them pictures of me sleeping with a cat leg sticking out from under the covers. No, no, girls... he's all mine.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #34
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl96 View Post
My husband took pictures of mine and every so often I make him show them to me. It helps when the incisions burn or I get a weird pain, I look at them to remind me where the incisions actually are. I made fun of him when he took the pictures, but now I'm glad he did! I was surprised how swollen my ankle was, I felt like the swelling had gone down so much, I couldn't believe how swollen and purplish it was!
When I got my splint off I took several pictures of my foot. I was just so shocked at how swollen it was! The bruising wasn't pretty but the marker that they used before the surgery had morphed in to this horrible purple sick looking line. It looked like I had gangrene or something.

I do the same thing as you. When it burns or I get those lovely little pings of pain I go back and look at how bad it was and how much better it looks now.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #35
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

With two days left before my surgery these comments about how bad the ankle looks makes me wonder if I should take "before" pictures!

I have lots of books, puzzle books and my kindle ready for after surgery so I can't sleep through it.

Can you tell I am getting anxious??? Perhaps an emotional wreck would be a better description.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: ddill
cinder (01-29-2013), Grumpstress (01-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #36
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpstress View Post
I was so looking forward to all of those things when I was in my recovery and staying home but with my pain meds I slept right through it all! When people would ask how I was doing my husband would show them pictures of me sleeping with a cat leg sticking out from under the covers. No, no, girls... he's all mine.
My husband took several of these lovely pictures of me. I wanted to throw him through a window.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #37
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Quote:
When I got my splint off I took several pictures of my foot. I was just so shocked at how swollen it was! The bruising wasn't pretty but the marker that they used before the surgery had morphed in to this horrible purple sick looking line. It looked like I had gangrene or something.

I do the same thing as you. When it burns or I get those lovely little pings of pain I go back, and look at how bad it was and how much better it looks now.
I think i'm going to take pics about once a week so I can really see my progress. Just the two I have now a week apart is amazing to see the difference.

My doctor took pre-pictures, I can't wait to see how those look compared to my "new" foot.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Hey there,

My doc took videos of me walking -- nail in the coffin for surgery. I asked my husband why he didnt tell me I was walking so weird and he said he thought I knew! What is that saying about denial and the river in Africa?? I tink I would prefer pictures of me sleeping with my cat, lol.

But I digress -- I am DEFINITELY planning on getting photos every week to track progress.

ddill, hang in there, it will be over before you know it.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #39
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddill View Post
Can you tell I am getting anxious??? Perhaps an emotional wreck would be a better description.
You will get through all of this just fine. It's not fun but you will be just fine. Plus you will have a great story to tell. My dad keeps trying to get me to tell people I got hurt in a bar fight. I keep saying "I got hurt in a bar fight on my ankle???" He said just tell people it was one of those amazing fly through the air kung foo moves. Yeah, um, no.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #40
(female)

Quote:
You will get through all of this just fine. It's not fun but you will be just fine. Plus you will have a great story to tell. My dad keeps trying to get me to tell people I got hurt in a bar fight. I keep saying "I got hurt in a bar fight on my ankle???" He said just tell people it was one of those amazing fly through the air kung foo moves. Yeah, um, no.
I do keep thinking I need a good story. Whenever someone asks me what happened to my foot, I think they're a little disappointed when I tell them I had surgery on it - I feel like they're looking for some juicy story. Haven't taken the time to come up with something good yet!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #41
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Hi Ginger, how are you? I am doing pretty good. It's a roller coaster of emotions as you know with frustration, anger, depression, but hanging in there. Some days are long for me when I get no visitors. I have my appointment next Tuesday the 5th and I am hoping to get the cast off, but not getting my hopes up so as to not be disappointed and progress to the next stage. It will be 5 week this Thursday. On top of all this, luckily my husband is ok, but we had an ice storm two weeks ago and he hit the guardrail going to work and my car is totaled, but I have been researching and "building" my virtual car I like online. I hope to get a new car soon. It's sad not to have my car. It was perfect because it was high and I was able to easily get in and out of and my husband's car is very low. Oh well, trying to staying positive.

Hope everyone out there is doing well and hanging in there. This sure is a long process and I hope once the summer comes I will enjoy it. Not sure when you start PT? Do I do that after the cast?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl96 View Post
I do keep thinking I need a good story. Whenever someone asks me what happened to my foot, I think they're a little disappointed when I tell them I had surgery on it - I feel like they're looking for some juicy story. Haven't taken the time to come up with something good yet!
Ha! My story is that I was trying to take a picture of a bunny and used my ankle to find a hole in the back yard. People laugh and ask if that is really how it happened. Like I would make up something that lame? If I were making something up there would be some Evil Conevil research going on.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Hope everyone out there is doing well and hanging in there. This sure is a long process and I hope once the summer comes I will enjoy it.
It is quite a long process. My surgery was at the end of September and I'm still in sneakers instead of real shoes. I still walk kind of funny with a limp some days and a total weeble wobble gait on others. It's a process that just keeps going like the energizer bunny. Not at cute as a bunny but it goes on forever... Or at least it seems like that.

You will make great strides though and you have to keep looking back and realize how much better you are doing now than a week, two weeks, a month ago. I had someone make a comment the other day about how I still had a limp and I replied that I couldn't walk three months ago so I'm doing ok.

When I actually thought about it I was trying to figure out how to give myself a high five in congratulations on my progress. Three months ago I was throwing my crutches across the room (just once but I felt like doing it a LOT more than that) because I was just so frustrated. Three months ago I had to crawl to go to restroom in the middle of the night. Three months ago I started the day taking a bath FROM A 5 GALLON HOME DEPOT BUCKET.

Looking back on the process I think I should have kept a diary so that I could go back and see my progress more easily to help me get through the rough days.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #44
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

I think the diary is a great idea and since I am at the beginning....surgery on Thursday...I will start it today with noting my anxiety.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #45
(female)

I know it's different depending on the dr and your surery, but the dr told me to start PT when I got the cast off at 6 weeks. I was right around 7 when I actually started by the time I got an appointment.

Closed Thread