It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User
PTTD Surgery Done - Recovery Begins

Thanks everyone for your support and understanding. It meant a lot to have all of you support me through the months leading up. All your advice and comfort got me through the surgery and I look forward to more advice and comfort in the coming months.

The following 7 users give hugs of support to: cinder
angelee43 (01-09-2013), ddill (02-28-2013), DeeDeeMc (02-08-2013), erin4 (01-09-2013), ginger62 (01-02-2013), lauralei51 (02-02-2013), PesCav (01-02-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (02-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery Done - Recovery Begins

1 week down! You and I have been talking here for 5 months now...it really doesn't seem that long ago does it? Well, 5 months from now you'll be up walking around and you will hardly remember this part. Hang in there, the splint comes off soon!
xo,
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
cinder (01-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I'm only 4 weeks in, but I really think getting past the surgery and those first few days post-op is the hardest part and it only gets easier! Now being NWB is annoying, but everytime I think about doing more than I should I remind myself of how far I've come already and I have NO desire to do this again or to make it last longer than it has to. I get the cast off in about two weeks, and I am so excited but I know PT and PWB/FWB is going to be hard work, but worth it!

I made my own lunch today, on crutches, I was so proud of myself. Who knew taking pizza from the refigerator, reheating it, and sitting down at the table to eat could be so exciting (and such a feat to do successfully on crutches!)...but when I think about how the first few days I was practically in tears going from my sofa to the bathroom, it feels huge!

Hang in there, and take care of yourself!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: NCgirl96
ddill (01-17-2013), ginger62 (01-03-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to NCgirl96 For This Useful Post:
cinder (01-03-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Yay glad you came back and told us how your doing! Been Looking for your updates.
Take care!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Hi Cinder! Hope you're resting comfortably and doing well with recovery. looking forward to reading about your progress!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
(female)

Hi Everyone Thank you all for checking in. I hope all of you are doing well too. I just got my cast on yesterday and go back again on the 5th. Wow to see all those staples come out was a little frightening and to listen to what they did. Anyway, I guess I am making progress and they say with this type of surgery (as you all know) you need patience. I didnt' realize that there would be an incision on the side of calf for my achilles tendon so that was a little scarey. I now have to make sure I elevate above the heart several times a day because they said that is really important for healing and swelling. I have had a lot of people coming and going and keeping me company but now I am on my own a bit. Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Thank you so much for your support. This site brings together so many wonderful, helpful, and caring people.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Yay! I was so happy the day I got my cast on, despite getting ALL of the staples removed and seeing how gross my foot looked! I get the cast off next Friday, looking forward to that as well, though I hate the boot.

It's funny how the company starts to dwindle a bit after the first few weeks, isn't it? I had my surgery two weeks before Christmas...the first two weeks, everyone was stopping in to check on me, making sure we had dinner, offering to help with errands, etc. Then the holidays came and there was plenty to keep me busy, lots of family around, and out of town guests. Then back to normal life...and no more offers for dinner or checking up on me as often!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
(female)

Yay! I was so happy the day I got my cast on, despite getting ALL of the staples removed and seeing how gross my foot looked! I get the cast off next Friday, looking forward to that as well, though I hate the boot.

It's funny how the company starts to dwindle a bit after the first few weeks, isn't it? I had my surgery two weeks before Christmas...the first two weeks, everyone was stopping in to check on me, making sure we had dinner, offering to help with errands, etc. Then the holidays came and there was plenty to keep me busy, lots of family around, and out of town guests. Then back to normal life...and no more offers for dinner or checking up on me as often! I went back to work full time the week before Christmas (I work from home, so easy to work from here), and I'm so thankful for it, as I am insanely busy, but I am so happy to be busy all day so it passes the time. Otherwise I get so bored!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Glad things went well with the case and staples removed! Happy healing!!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Cinder I am so glad things are going well for you. I'm getting all ready for FDL transfer on feb 28th, Ijust got new fluffy pillows to put my foot on. How is your pain? I've never had staples in my foot only stiches...I'm glad things are going well. Keep us all posted sending best wishes your way.

The Following User Says Thank You to ohitscourtney For This Useful Post:
cinder (01-11-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Yay to getting your cast on! I felt like that was such a relief. I had been so worried about the splint... And I didn't have staples for this but had them for two c-sections... Definitely weird coming out and it's always bizarre seeing bit long cuts in your body. My doc told me where mine would be so that was good...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
(female)

Thanks NC girl yes you are right the first two weeks a lot of people were here and dinner, etc now I am on my own all day. I think someone might stop by this afternoon. I cannot return to work becuase I work on my feet all day with small children so not sure when I can return. I'm sure the boot is not fun either, but it is a "step" in the right direction. Keep healing and getting better. Thanks for the support

The following user gives a hug of support to cinder:
ginger62 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hey Cinder! Yes, the next few weeks do kind of suck. It's just plain boring. You know it's bad when you start counting the days. But at least you're making progress instead of just waiting to get the surgery. And you are making progress even though it may not feel like it. Those tendons take time to heal, so the more rest you can get the better. You're on your way! I'm walking in a shoe with an ankle brace. It hurts and trying to learn how to walk correctly is harder than I thought. But it's so worth it.
xxoo first friend,
Ginger

The following user gives a hug of support to ginger62:
exdancer2 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #14
(female)

Hi First Friend,

You are so right. These weeks are so boring. I am counting the days. This week I really have no visitors lined up at all. 3 more weeks to go back to the doctor. My daughter stopped to visit yesterday. So happy I have a supportive daughter. My husband has been wonderful too. Glad you are in an ankle brace. Wow I'm sure learning to walk again is hard. Do you go to PT? My daughter had surgery and she said that the pool therapy was good for her ankle. Of course, she didn't have as much work done as we had, but she is doing really good. Thanks for checking in and updating me on your progress. Your progress gives me hope and something to look forward too.

The following user gives a hug of support to cinder:
ginger62 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

After walking with a bum leg for 5 years it's really hard to retrain my body and my brain to do it correctly. I try to imagine that I'm balancing a book on my head so I don't hump my leg along. I'm getting there. You hang in...the 2 months you got pushed back seemed forever and you made it through that. It'll pass.
Ginger

Closed Thread