It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

geodon HB User
Flat feet surgery and recovery

Surgery was 11/30 I am now five weeks post op. Diagnonsis was posterior tibial tendon tear, posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, calcaneovalgus, ankle varus, pes planovalus, equinus and degenerative joint disease of the ankle. I wore an arizona brace for three months prior to surgery and found it to restrictive and also did not relieve all of my pain. Surgery was gastrosoleus recission, medial dispacement calcaneal osteotomy, and FDL tendon transfer of the posterior tibial tendon repair. Also arthroscopic debridement with removal of exostoses. After surgery was in a splint NWB for ten days. Then the surgical staples were removed and fiberglass cast was on for four weeks also NWB. At that point the cast was removed foot wrapped in ace bandage and an aircast was put on. Still NWB for two more weeks. I am not allowed to remove the air cast though I did loosen it a bit because I felt my foot was being squeezed in a vice. I only had pain the first week after surgery was fine in the fibeglass cast. However now that I have the aircast on at night even with my foot elevated I get a burning sensation in my big toe. Wondering if this means the aircast is to tight. Also my toes are hugely swollen now in the aircast they were never swollen in the fibeglass cast. I am still keeping it elevated all day and also icing behind the knee but it does not seem to control the swelling anymore. Wondering how others were at 5 weeks post op and how they did with an aircast NWB.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

Megan2828 HB User
Re: Flat feet surgery and recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon View Post
Surgery was 11/30 I am now five weeks post op. Diagnonsis was posterior tibial tendon tear, posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, calcaneovalgus, ankle varus, pes planovalus, equinus and degenerative joint disease of the ankle. I wore an arizona brace for three months prior to surgery and found it to restrictive and also did not relieve all of my pain. Surgery was gastrosoleus recission, medial dispacement calcaneal osteotomy, and FDL tendon transfer of the posterior tibial tendon repair. Also arthroscopic debridement with removal of exostoses. After surgery was in a splint NWB for ten days. Then the surgical staples were removed and fiberglass cast was on for four weeks also NWB. At that point the cast was removed foot wrapped in ace bandage and an aircast was put on. Still NWB for two more weeks. I am not allowed to remove the air cast though I did loosen it a bit because I felt my foot was being squeezed in a vice. I only had pain the first week after surgery was fine in the fibeglass cast. However now that I have the aircast on at night even with my foot elevated I get a burning sensation in my big toe. Wondering if this means the aircast is to tight. Also my toes are hugely swollen now in the aircast they were never swollen in the fibeglass cast. I am still keeping it elevated all day and also icing behind the knee but it does not seem to control the swelling anymore. Wondering how others were at 5 weeks post op and how they did with an aircast NWB.
I am 7 1/2 weeks post op. I feel like week 5-6 was the height of my swelling. My toes were like sausages and my ankle resembled a potato. At week 6 I was allowed to put 25% weight on my foot and i started PT. I thought that would make my foot more swollen but it actually helped with the swelling... My foot actually looks really good. Wiggle your toes as much as you can to get the blood flowing...that should help relieve the tightness. Also, elevate when you can.
The first 6 weeks were tough and I finally feel like I am making the turn and see really good results

Closed Thread