It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

newankle HB User
Post PTT & Calcaneal Osteotomy

Had surgery on Dec 3 and got my boot yesterday. Foot is still swollen and hurts. While in cast the pain subsided but now a new challenge. My calf has no muscle tone at all. So pwb right now and curious how others are coping. Did you start the pain meds again? How far do you walk? Are you icing?
Also I think its the screw that hurts when I bear down.

Last edited by newankle; 01-05-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: Post PTT & Calcaneal Osteotomy

Hi, is Post PTT posterior tibial tendon transfer? If so, it sounds like you had done what I'm scheduled for in March. So you are PWB at 5 weeks, but with pain. Its interesting that you can differentiate where your pain is -- will your dr remove the screw? Hope the pain dissipates soon.

Last edited by PesCav; 01-05-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

newankle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesCav View Post
Hi, is Post PTT posterior tibial tendon transfer? If so, it sounds like you had done what I'm scheduled for in March. So you are PWB at 5 weeks, but with pain. I am curious, if you work, if you are able to return to office yet? Also, its interesting that you can differentiate where your pain is -- will your dr remove the screw?
Yes its the transfer. I am pwb at 5 weeks and he said there would be pain, I am just wondering how long. Because it is the right foot/driving foot, I chose to stay home for 8 weeks. If you have someone to drive you can go to work after a week. I will see fri if the pain subsides.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I had PTT also. I am almost 5 weeks post. Still in a fiberglass cast and I have another three weeks until I see the doctor. At that time he will do it x-ray and probably put another cast on for another four weeks. I expect to be nonweightbearing for 12 weeks. I had my Achilles lengthened and I also had a bone graft from my hip. I was in the operating room for six hours. Although I don't have pain now I am very bored and starting to lose it. I get around with a new scooter but have not been out yet because it's so cold. Right now my one question has to do with all the Skin flakiness around the cast and on my leg from not taking showers and washing well. Does anybody have this problem? By the way I hear that the screws are annoying to 50% of patients. And they have to go back for a short surgery to take them out. Hope that's not the case for me or for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
newankle (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

So, how difficult or easy is it to retrain your brain to lift your feet, or is it too soon?

Edited to add, I am a right footer, too, so no drving for who knws how long. Going to talk to my boss on Monday about possibly needing 8 weeks off. Until I am NWB, I work in too big of an office to manage things, I think. My dr indicated that I would be FWB in 8 weeks -- I think. I've been second guessing my memory from when we met and talked about my upcoming surgery!!

Last edited by PesCav; 01-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to PesCav For This Useful Post:
newankle (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Pesher, I am curious about why you needed a bone graft (ouch!)? Is you heel problem from an accident? You and newankle are in the same stage of recovery -- I am jealous!!! Y'all will be skipping down the streets when I first enter surgery!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
(female)

newankle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesher View Post
I had PTT also. I am almost 5 weeks post. Still in a fiberglass cast and I have another three weeks until I see the doctor. At that time he will do it x-ray and probably put another cast on for another four weeks. I expect to be nonweightbearing for 12 weeks. I had my Achilles lengthened and I also had a bone graft from my hip. I was in the operating room for six hours. Although I don't have pain now I am very bored and starting to lose it. I get around with a new scooter but have not been out yet because it's so cold. Right now my one question has to do with all the Skin flakiness around the cast and on my leg from not taking showers and washing well. Does anybody have this problem? By the way I hear that the screws are annoying to 50% of patients. And they have to go back for a short surgery to take them out. Hope that's not the case for me or for you.
Yes staying in the house is depressing. I go out more now and walk around with crutches. Also registered with netflix to watch shows. I had flakiness on me leg too and it is normal. Maybe you can put some aloe vera oil or lotion on the part you see?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
(female)

newankle HB User

Quote:
So, how difficult or easy is it to retrain your brain to lift your feet, or is it too soon?

Edited to add, I am a right footer, too, so no drving for who knws how long. Going to talk to my boss on Monday about possibly needing 8 weeks off. Until I am NWB, I work in too big of an office to manage things, I think. My dr indicated that I would be FWB in 8 weeks -- I think. I've been second guessing my memory from when we met and talked about my upcoming surgery!!
Its not that hard to walk, just remember "heel, toe, heel, toe"

Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had similar surgery the day after yours - Dec. 4th. PTT to FDL transfer, calf lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy and lateral column lengthening. I am still in the cast, I have another two weeks to go - at 6 weeks I'll go into the boot and start PWB to FWB. While I'm excited to get out of the cast and start putting weight on it, the cast is sooo much lighter than the boot, and I'm anticipating some pain once I starting putting weight on it again and starting PT.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
(female)

newankle HB User

Quote:

I see you are in Annapolis, who is doing your procedure? I had mine done at Mercy by Dr Jeng

Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
(female)

newankle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl96 View Post
I had similar surgery the day after yours - Dec. 4th. PTT to FDL transfer, calf lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy and lateral column lengthening. I am still in the cast, I have another two weeks to go - at 6 weeks I'll go into the boot and start PWB to FWB. While I'm excited to get out of the cast and start putting weight on it, the cast is sooo much lighter than the boot, and I'm anticipating some pain once I starting putting weight on it again and starting PT.
My leg is soooo skinny! And all the dead skin I scraped off was so thick. Actually the boot they gave me is slim and lightweight.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Ugh, I know, my leg looked so skinny and scaly after two weeks, I can't imagine after another 4...yuck...not looking forward to that. I can already tell how the cast fits on my calf how much skinnier my calf is already.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I'm 3.5 weeks post surgery. Dry, scaly, gross skin is inevitable with the cast. I've had two post op appts, one to remove post op splint at one week post op and my first cast, one at two weeks post op for suture removal and new cast. Each time, I asked for a washcloth, so I could scrub my leg/foot as much as I could tolerate. Hubby is with me to keep rinsing the washcloth for me. Getting the dead skin off helps prevent cast itch and just plain feels good!! I've been taking baths every day since surgery, and I use a washcloth and soap to clean as much leg and foot as I can get. Bath and Body makes a massage oil that I've been using no exposed skin to moisturizer. It penetrates and moisturizes without being too greasy and messy. Plus, smells great (I have Lavendar).

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
newankle (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

I amazed at the number of people having this type of surgery. I still have a couple of weeks to wait and appreciate all the comments from those who have already had the surgery.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
(male)

Newlyshiftfoot HB User

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post Calcaneal Osteonomy and tendon and ligament repair. I just got my cast off and stitches out yesterday and had to get a boot. Still NWB for 3 more weeks but told to remove the boot as often as I want to do "exercises". Mainly just moving my foot around. It feels good and is sore at the same time. I've tested stepping on my toes and the it feels tingly, no pain, but I'm not taking chances.

Also, like a lot of others my right leg is TINY compared to my left. I can't believe how much muscle I've lost in just a couple weeks.

I'm still excited by the progress and had no setbacks yet. I've worked for 2 weeks which was tough at first but easier now. I've also pretty much stopped pain pills...once in a while I will take one at night if I'm sore. The doc is also pleased with the progress but warned me against trying too much too soon.

Closed Thread