It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User
Lots of pain after PT, no pain meds...

I am 2 1/2 months post surgery and have now had 3 PT sessions. After each session, I am in quite a lot of pain for several days. This last one was on Thurs (2 days ago) and I can barely walk. My ankle hurts so much and my calf muscles are on fire! And on top of it all, I have NO pain meds! Aleve & aspirin are not touching this. My doctor never called me back even after several calls, so I am out of meds for the weekend and have been out since Wed.

I know I'm not supposed to be still taking Rx pain meds at this point, but I also don't like hurting this much. Maybe I'm going through some withdrawal, too. It all just stinks.

I think I may just give up on going to PT if it is going to hurt this much. Can just everyday walking get everything back to where it should be? I must be a real wimp.

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

The following user gives a hug of support to LabGimp:
angelee43 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

newankle HB User
Re: Lots of pain after PT, no pain meds...

Ice makes it comfortable a bit. Have you tried extra strength tylenol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I would be really up front with your PT about the pain. Let them know that. Don't feel like a wuss. They need to know that and maybe they'll adjust your treatments. Even if they aren't hurting you when you are doing the exercises.

Don't give up on PT!!! It's so important. If it hurts I know it's tough to keep going, but you need to keep on it.

Good luck with it all.

Liz

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

You definitely shouldn't be having such severe pain from PT. We all have different pain thresholds, so please tell your PT how much pain you're having. You can't give up on PT. It's really important to get back the best ROM. Hope your pain is easing up. Take it easy for a few days, You might have to baby your foot while progressing through PT. Feel better!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

That stinks Gimp! I am not in PT right now as I am waiting on surgery but I know that pain when you do a lot . I went shopping yesterday and could barely walk when I got home. Don't give up on trying to reach your doctor. I cannot believe they have not gotten back to you even asking you to come see them. That is concerning to me. Take care and do all the ice and elevation you can do this weekend.
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Yes, definitely let your PT know. You should be a bit more 'achy' for about 24 hours after your session, but not in a lot more pain.
Ice and elevate and don't give up.
I hope your doctor gets back to you

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I agree with everyone else. Don't give up on PT! My first OS didn't send me to PT after my first ankle surgery and I never got full ROM or proprioception back. I think that had something (not all) to do with needing my 2nd surgery which was almost identical to what you had done. My surgery was 2/22/12. My doctor kept me on Rx pain meds (as I,needed them and I didn't need them a lot, but there were THOSE days) till the end of my PT which was June so 4 months after surgery. Keep trying to reach your doctor. PT shouldn't cause severe pain every time. Let your PT know about that and your doctor. PT made a big difference for me!! Feel better!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Katy, I really, really don't think you should be in that much pain after PT. Talk to them and if that doesn't help maybe find a new place. I think Jodi went to three before she found one she was happy with. It's just like finding a doctor you like. PT should be helping you (with some challenges) but def not causing you that much pain. And personally, I don't see anything with still using the meds occasionally if you need them. Don't give up!
Ginger

Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

Wow! Thank you all so much for your support and words of wisdom. Sharing your experiences really helps put things in perspective.

I will go ahead and continue PT. I have an appt this Thurs that I think I will switch to next week, though, so I can heal and recuperate from this past week's PT. I will definitely tell my PT about my aftereffects. He seems very receptive. We just got talking about possible careers in the medical field (PT, PA, nursing programs, etc) and I think he and I both didn't realize that I was completely over-doing it. (I was asking his opinion for my daughter's potential career choices). I was walking over a series of fake rocks, back and forth many times, doing lunges, going up and down on the balls of my feet, using several different kinds of rocker boards for side to side as well as front to back ROM and several other things. Uff da! Wears me out again just recapping it!

I feel a bit better today, but there's still quite a bit of pain. I slept very badly, waking every hour with pain and general anxiety.

I think the OTC pain relievers are giving me rebound headaches and not really relieving my ankle, calf pain. Hopefully my doc will return my call on Monday.

In the meantime, in between PT appts, I will try to do more PT exercises on my own. I've been doing stretching, but not enough strengthning. It's hard to fit it all in while working a full time job. I'm just tired when I get home from work!

Again, thanks for all your wonderful replies. You guys rock!

Katy

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Wow, girl! That's some pretty aggressive PT! Sounds a little scary!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Glad you're feeling a little better. Still, take it easy today. Wow, sounds like you did ALOT during your last PT session. How often do you go to PT? Twice/week? Try not to book too close together so you can recover btwn workouts. You might want to talk to your dr's office mgr about having him return your call. The pain definitely lasts intermittently for months post surgery. Just when we think it's gone, we get over confident, do too much, and it comes right back! It is wonderful to be ale to "talk" to others who understand. Be well. Jeanne

Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
(female)

I know! Right?! I thought it was kind of a lot of PT, too. I'm also the kind of person to just go for it full out, then pay for it later. I have to remember that I'm not young any more! Not super old (56), but def not in my 20's!

I'm going to PT approx every 1-2 weeks. It got kind of messed with the holidays. My PT guys said I could go every 2 weeks if I wanted to. I only have a limited number of sessions approved through insurance, so I think I'll spread them out.

I was in a bad car wreck when I was 19 that was the source of my orginal injury. I got some PT back then, but it was only to learn to walk in a ginormous hip spica cast after 6 weeks in traction. The bottom line is that I didn't get ANY specific PT for my ankle--they just helped me to walk. Different times. Then I had a surgery 10 years later on my ankle and again, no PT. I wonder if those traumas with no PT are making my current PT even worse?

Not to mention that I never had much of a calf muscle to start with, and now he's trying to build up that puny, ignored muscle. Hmmmm.

10-18-2012

Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I think that no PT after your prior injuries/surgeries definitely plays into it. Like I previously stated, it was a definite difference for me! I will again agree with the others in that your PT is very aggressive! That's not necessarily a bad thing if you are ready for it and can tolerate it pain wise. I would maybe talk to your PT about taking it down a notch and work back up to where you are. Like someone else said, spread out your sessions either over a couple of weeks or if that's too far then maybe do a Mon/Fri combo one week with a Tues/Fri the next? I totally understand the push hard now, pay later mentality. I have it too! I actually reinjured my ankle and am back in PT to help with pain and to strengthen it. I finished the first session over the holidays in a weird schedule (like you over the holidays). At the end of it, my PT said that my ankle is still week and since I'm still having pain, he wanted to continue my therapy. My doctor sent in an extension order so I start back tomorrow. Yesterday my husband states that he might get on our new treadmill (that I've yet to be able to use because of my stupid ankle). Then he says "think your ankle could handle it"? I was like "hmm...I don't know". (The answer here is no, but I'm so ready to be back to normal!) He then says "Um, no it's not. The answer is no." So I was like then why did you ask me? He says "to see where your mind is and it's not where it should be!" LOL!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
(female)

LOL Hollywood! It sounds like your husband is one smart cookie and knows you very well! I, too, have thought about the treadmill, but know I'm not there yet. I have gotten on the stationery bike--once, for about 10 minutes. Then my butt was so sore for the next 3 days, I haven't gotten back on!

I do think I'll cancel PT this week, then when I see my guy next week, I'll talk about my aftereffects and see about dialing it back. I think once every 2 weeks will be okay as long as I do some on my own. I want my husband to build me a rocker board. It seems pretty simple. One other thing the PT had me do that I think I can do at home was to "march" up and down on a thick, maybe 8", piece of memory foam.

I'll also talk to my PT about not getting PT on previous injuries/surgeries. Maybe that will change how he approaches my treatment, too.

10-18-2012

Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User

Thought I'd ask my PT questions here, since they seem to fit in with the current discussions!

1. How frequently does everyone's therapist want them to attend? Mine feels like every day "would be extremely helpful." It sounds like a bit much to me- I went today & I'm going tomorrow, but I might cancel wednesday.

2. What did your therapist actually do when you attended? I feel like mine literally poked & prodded at the incision site- he said it needed to "get used to being touched" and that the pain "wasn't real pain, it was just tenderness-pain from thinking it's injured." A few hours later I'm much less sore than I thought I'd be (... but I'm sore). But he really spent the whole time doing electric waves, ultrasound, different lasers, & poking me with different things (thumb, graston-like tool, etc). And light stetching- but I felt like poking was the primary method. I've had PT on 3 other occasions prior to the surgery- this was definitely NOT what I was expecting!

Closed Thread