It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jodibau HB User
Recovery time for Big Toe Fusion?

Hi,

I had a Cheilectomy last January. Did not work. Surgeon gave me a cortisone shot in June and said he thought he probably should have done a fusion. Toe still doesn't bend and very sore. Saw a different surgeeon. He looked at my initial xray I had from Docs. office before I had the surgery. He stated I was bone on bone at that point. He stated I should have had a fusion instead of cheilectomy.
Questions are- how long will I be on crutches and will I be in a cast or boot for some time after? How long? Main concern is will I be able to put on a ski boot again? I realy don't want to go through the surgery but I have unfortunately been less active as far as exercise due to the toe pain. I try to push it with exercising but the pain is more severe and frequent these days. Any helpful hints or suggestions?
Thank you!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Recovery time for Big Toe Fusion?

It all depends on your surgeon. We can tell you the various options but not all surgeons do it the same way. I've talked with one about a fusion and he says I will be weightbearing from the beginning because he puts a split on the toe. I can walk from day one and then drive without the boot after 2 weeks whent he stitches are removed (right foot). Others I've talked with have said as much as 4 weeks NWB. I haven't decided if I am going to do the fusion yet but will definitely go with the guy who will let me walk!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
jodibau (01-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jodibau HB User

Thank you for your feedback. I was able to walk after the Cheilectomy with the surgical boot. Surgeon initially said NWB for three weeks and then I will have a cast for up to 2 months. I have seen various recovery times but just wanted to hear from a few folks.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-16-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Hi! I'll agree that the post-op instructions are day to night different depending on the surgeon and method and exact problem. I'm 5 weeks post-op with a fusion at the base of my big toe with hardware in there. I've been allowed to bear weight from week 2, heel walking mostly. Mine is still pinching week 5 and I don't want to walk on it! So still using a walker to take some weight off it. I've spent hours reading trying to find some normal time frame but no luck there. It's so much easier to deal with if you know what to expect. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jodibau HB User

Thank you for your reply. I hope you will soon be walking soon with little or no pain. Good luck to you!
I myself am not looking forward to sitting around. I am not much of a TV watcher and can only read so long. Will have to find something to make the day go by faster. I have put this off too long and have to bite the bullet and just get it done.
Are you in a surgical boot or cast?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
(female)

lynnyl HB User

I'm in a surgical shoe - you know, the big sandal with a rocker sole and lots of Velcro straps. Came out of surgery with a big cushioned wrap, got shoe a few days after although I really couldn't comfortably heel-walk for 2 weeks. My surgery was big toe fusion, hammertoes, nothing in the mid-foot to require a boot.

Yes, the immobility tries our patience for sure. When are you contemplating having surgery, if you decide to do it? Maybe enjoy the rest of ski season before?

I, too, would love to hear other experiences with toe fusion. I'm really worried about not being able to walk -- right before surgery I was traveling and sightseeing easily.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jodibau HB User

Thanks! Seeing Doc. again on 1/14 and get it scheduled in February. Have a busy spring so I want to be pretty mobile again. Thanks for your input. Good luck to you!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

That is exactly what I want, is to
be able to walk without pain. I will try anything to help with the pain.
I am having trouble with the orthotics that were made for me.
I go back again this week, to have them readjusted, but they are not
right at this time.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-16-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
(female)

Tracey248 HB User

I went to one podiatrist, not a good experience, had orthotics made, but did not even have me try them when I was there. Am going to a second clinic, just got those the other day. I have heard a
few names for surgeons, but have no idea where to go. I don't want a fusion,
but on Friday my foot hurt so bad, I would have said yes to surgery that day.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-16-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
(female)

Bellajackson HB User
Smile Re: Recovery time for Big Toe Fusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnyl View Post
I'm in a surgical shoe - you know, the big sandal with a rocker sole and lots of Velcro straps. Came out of surgery with a big cushioned wrap, got shoe a few days after although I really couldn't comfortably heel-walk for 2 weeks. My surgery was big toe fusion, hammertoes, nothing in the mid-foot to require a boot.

Yes, the immobility tries our patience for sure. When are you contemplating having surgery, if you decide to do it? Maybe enjoy the rest of ski season before?

I, too, would love to hear other experiences with toe fusion. I'm really worried about not being able to walk -- right before surgery I was traveling and sightseeing easily.
Hi
My surgery will be big toe fusion, bunionectomy and hammertoes, and am curious and hoping that you are pain free by now. im worried about my body rejecting the titanium for my big toe, and also too much scar tissue may build up and leave me in pain anyway.

its a scarry operation as i am an exerciser and avid walker. my toes hurt so bad now that im willing to take the chance. I think.

my surgery will be 9/25/13 at the end of this month.

Would love to hear how people are doing post surgery.

Thank You, Bella

Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
(female)

lynnyl HB User

Bella, Here's the report from 9 months post-op. Mobility is still improving. Yesterday I took my bike out for the first time...I had been afraid because there's so much impact on the "ball" of the foot to get on and off or stop in traffic.
Rocker bottom shoes (MBT) have helped my walking. Doc recommended them at 5 months when I was still moving slowly. My toe was fused straight flat, without being angled up at all, so that is part of the problem. Can walk in regular low-heeled shoes just not as fast. Swelling still happens at the end of the day, believe it or not, but then I am old-ish in my fifties so maybe that is why.
If you ask the doc about the titanium he/she will reassure you. I have multiple allergies including nickel and the titanium has been no problem at all.
Having a rigid toe is kind of a big deal, to put it politely, especially if you are accustomed to running around and exercising. I know that doesn't sound super-encouraging, but I think it's realistic to expect some coping and some workarounds.
All the best to you and please keep posting so we know how you are!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
(female)

nancybva HB User

I had a Cheilectomy in Jan. '12 to remove bone spurs (hallux rigidus) in first metatarsal on right foot. Operation was unsuccessful as I now have no cartillage (bone on bone) and am in more pain than before. I now need to have a fusion. I have researched this subject extensively and have met with several ortho surgeons. My main goal is to be pain free and be able to be very active again. I play a lot of competitive tennis (singles & doubles) year round. I also enjoy skiing in the winter. I have read that a lot of people are able to run again and be active in all kinds of sports, and I understand that the plate/screw placement will be at an angle to allow sports and low heels. My questions surround the surgery and recovery. One ortho Dr. (very well known ortho in NY) says that I will be in a hard cast & NWB for 6 weeks; not able to drive for 8 weeks. Another ortho Dr. (in northern Va where I live), says that I will be off my feet for a week and then be given a boot, which I can remove for driving after a week. I am so confused as to the difference in protocols and want to do what is best for recovery and best for being able to play tennis successfully.

Closed Thread