It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User
Talking very excited!!!

Today marks the 2 months from surgery .
I'm feeling awesome, today I went to the doctor and he told me to start 30% weight bearing then on Sunday to 50% weight bearing and so on.. I'm a little well I guess not a little a lot scared to put weight on it doctor said I won't mess anything up.. but y does my brain think I will, I need to stop it. My physical therapy starts in 2 weeks eek so I better get busy stretching it..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
Re: very excited!!!

You'll be fine, Erin. It's natural to be anxious and fearful when going PWB. we've all had such painful surgeries we're afraid of doing damage to the new repairs. Take it easy, have seat close by. Do a little at a time. Having foot down with pressure is going to cause more swelling, so be sure to elevate and ice! Take care! jeanne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Soooo jealous! 9 days until I get the cast off and into the boot. Still 6 weeks in the boot, but I'm excited for progress and to start PWB and FWB. I'm nervous too about starting to put weight on that foot, but I'm ready to get going on it!

Being in the single digits countdown now feels huge!

Good luck getting back on two feet!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

It won't be long till you're joining us PWB!! Glad to her you're doing well and feeling better!!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Great news! I am happy for you! Keep up the good work! It is really scary at first when you start weight bearing. It will be awkward but just listen to your body. It will certainly tell you when you've done too much. You will likely need to ice and elevate a little more than you have been as it will take a while to get used to being down. Keep in touch with your progress!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay! That's great!! I agree with the other posters in that it is normal to be scared to weight bear for the first time since surgery. Your doctor is right though. You won't mess it up. You will probably have more swelling and maybe a bit more pain to start with. Just remember to elevate and ice more than usual! Your PT starts in 2 wks and then you'll be surprised how fast it goes! Those PT people are fantastic at pain/swelling control and getting you back to normal!! Good luck and keep us up to date!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
erin4 (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
(female)

I didn't sleep good last night I woke up to pain my doctor told me to leave my splint off when I go to sleep but man ol man did it hurt. I got some Tylenol to help with the pain at 4:30 this morning which helped.
I'm hoping it won't be painful tonight. Did anyone else have pain not having anything on your foot or first night/ week?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sure did Erin. That is really tough at first because you're moving your foot in the night.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
erin4 (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
(female)

LadyKanner how long did it last the pain?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
(female)

Man I'm so scared to walk lol ... how do I just tell myself to just do it?!?also it feels like I'm stepping on glass when I have my foot all the way down on the ground is that normal?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Erin, I did have pain while sleeping, also. I'm sleeping with a thick, soft sock up to my knee, just to protect incision site. When I awoke to pain the first nite, I went back to elevating. Kind of helped keep foot from moving so much. That helped me. It's only been two nights for me, so I don't know how long it will last, but am thinking not too long as the foot is feeling better each day. Hope you sleep well tonite.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Erin, for walking, I'm using my crutches for support and started out with hardly any pressure on the foot. Gradually add as much weight as is comfortably tolerated. It might take several days in between to increase weight bearing. Be patient with yourself....your foot has been through a lot of trauma. Mine has all kinds of weird sensations I didn't have before. You're doing great!!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
(female)

I am using both crutches BC right now I'm 30% weight bearing.
And BTW thanks again for all your guys replies!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am still having issues at night but my fusion is broken too. I kind of wrap my foot up in a blanket. It's not wrapped but i take it and surround my foot with it. Seems to help. At first my doc had me sleeping in the boot but after a while he said I could stop.

Now that you're starting weight bearing, has your surgeon mentioned wearing compression stockings to help with the swelling? My doc had me get some compression stockings to wearing under the boot and even with tennis shoes. They really helped. Also helped your foot feel supported.

~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
(female)

LadyKanner yes they gave me one at the doctors office but told me not to wear it to bed.

Closed Thread