It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Surgery moved up 2 months

Got a call late this afternoon that my surgeon has a cancellation, so my surgery will be next Friday -- in 1 week!!! I am looking forward to having it behind me so I can stop worrying so much and start getting better, but no doubt about it, I am kinda freaked out now that surgery is so close! Biggest challenge is going to be scheduling the pre-sugical checkup with my primary care doctor in time.

Off to order stuff for my weeks of hibernation!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: Surgery moved up 2 months

Good News Pescav!! Glad you got moved up. It will be great that you can finally get it over with and move on with your life. You will be right in there with me recovering. My surgery is Wednesday next week. Things to consider getting.

Shower Chair
Cast cover for showering
Knee Scooter
Personal wipes (good to help feel clean for the first few days if you can't shower)
A cast cover for going outside in the winter to keep toes warm
Ice tips for crutches (have little spikes on them...my boyfriend made me some out of some old tips..drilled screws down through them)
Big pillows for elevation
Ice, Ice , Ice

I'm sure there are some other things I have forgotten.
Good luck!! Keep in touch with your progress!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Wow! Congrats,,,sort of? So glad you're gonna get it behind you and don't have too long to wait, but I don't blame you for being freaked out. This week will fly by as you try to get everything done. Don't stress, take a deep breath, and take care of yourself! Best wishes!! Jeanne

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I used soft slipper socks wih grippers on the soles to slip over the cast. Kept my toes warm and they're cheap. I picked bright, striped ones to keep me amused. Make sure they open wide at the top. I found they worked great!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I tried those. I have big feet already (I wear a womens 12) so I couldn't find any to fit over it. I did find a cast cover from a website that will work. It is cheetah print! lol
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

That's good news. I want to move mine up but, my family is just to busy right now..so I'm still waiting till feb. Does the place your getting surgery at do pre op testing? If so you might want to do it there so your not rushing around and worry about if the papers got there. I wish you the best and the week will fly by. Keep us posted

Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

PesCav, that is great! You're using Dr. M. at Mercy, right? If so, you should be in and out lickety split. I was anyway and I had a lot done. They moved me up 2 weeks too, so I just went to the local Urgent Care for my physical. Didn't have any problem with that at all. Just get the essentials, anything else you can order later on. Good luck!!!
Ginger

Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Also, I saw your earlier post on meds. I got a block after they put me out, it lasted about 12 hours, haha, just in time for the 7hr drive home. The staff there is very professional yet very friendly, they will make you feel very safe. I was the last procedure of the day and still got back within 45 minutes of my scheduled time. Dr. M is absolutely the best.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
PesCav (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Thanks, everyone. I am in analysis paralysis -- I cant even pick out a wedge pillow to order to elevate my foot! Do y'all think I should order the continuous ice machine?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Absolutely to the ice machine. It was $75 after insurance for a 2 week rental - well worth it. The doctor said to ice for as long as I could, which I did, and I had no issues with swelling. I fell asleep for a few hours the 2nd night and didn't put the ice on, it was the only time I ever had a lot of swelling, made me realize it was worth it. And it's so much easier to deal with that than bags of ice. You will need someone to help you with it, I don't know that I could have filled it and dealt with it on my own. My husband would set it up for me when he left for work, I'd leave it on for a few hours and then take it off. He'd then fill it up for me again when he came home later. If you do get it it's helpful to have bags of ice on hand. Our freezer icemaker couldn't keep up with the amount of ice we used. I knew this from my mother's surgery earlier this year so we stocked up with a few bags of ice before surgery.

The only thing that freaked me out was they said to watch that it's not getting too numb, but my leg was numb from the knee down for 3 days from the blocks, so I was constantly making my husband check my toes to make sure they weren't changing colors. I drove him crazy with it!

Good luck preparing, you'll be so glad you did! I had three weeks from the time I scheduled surgery to the date, with Thanksgiving and a family reunion we hosted in between, so I was definitely in high gear trying to prepare!

The Following User Says Thank You to NCgirl96 For This Useful Post:
PesCav (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I ordered a wedge pillow and only used it twice. I found that regular pillows worked just fine. It is handy of you want to prop up both feet at the same time. Otherwise, for $30? I'd rather spend it on something else.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

The last time I did this, I had an old couch cushion, just 4" of foam, that worked well under a couple pillows. I liked it on the couch since it didn't squish too much and since it was just plain foam w/o a cover, the pillows didn't slip off of it.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

I just used plain old pillows...right now target has some on sale for like 3.50 instead of 6. I picked up a few for my surgery. I get like 2 then I just use my pillow pet on top. I've never had an ice maker, my parents just bought a bag of ice and a fews days before I kept making ice cube trays and putting them into a resuseable box. So I had loads of ice. Have you gotten your pre op done yet?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

My pre op is scheduled for Tuesday morning, so I am cutting things close!! I have everything lined up, this board has been amazing for identifying things you just can't anticipate unless you've been there. I even treated myself to some new jamas, lol. Anxiety is a constant background hum so far, but I am still glad I took the cancelled appt. Now I just need to avoid the flu... :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to PesCav:
ginger62 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not going to lie, there will be some sucky days ahead. I am very glad I did it, though. The surgery will be over with before you know it. I didn't have any special equipment and I live alone...did just fine. Just don't overdo it. I did and it set me back several weeks. Keep posting! The support is tremendous.
Ginger

Closed Thread