It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

reddaisygirl HB User
Broken Heel and now Blood Clot

I broke my heel on 12/22. On 1/7 I began to try to put some weight on my foot with my crutches, per the doctor's suggestion. This really hurt by the end of the day, so I didn't continue.

On 1/9 I began to get pain in my calf, which I thought was a pulled muscle from trying to put weight on my foot. When the pain didn't go away at all, the next day I called the bone & joint clinic and asked for their advice on the pain.

When they didn't call me back, I finally called them back at 2pm and they told me that it could be a blood clot and I should go to the ER immediately. I drove to urgent care and found out that I did have a clot in my leg.

I still have the pain in my calf. I don't know how long this is supposed to go on??? I'm also not sure if I should be trying to put weight on my heel again? I have a follow up appointment with my primary doctor on Tuesday and see the bone & joint clinic again on Thursday. I think I'm going to just continue with NWB until after I see them.

I am now on injections of lovenox and warafin pills to thin my blood. I must admit that this is starting to make me pretty depressed as well.

Wish this would all hurry up and be over with!

The following user gives a hug of support to reddaisygirl:
angelee43 (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User
Re: Broken Heel and now Blood Clot

The warfarin is Coumadin. It takes 4 days to kick in re thinning. The lovenox is immediate for thinning. I have had a clot. It was called A PE. A pulmonary embolism. It also started in my leg. I nearly died. Please be very careful and take the correct prescriptions. I got the clot from being immobile. Please talk to your doctor. Good luck. What you do not want is for the clot to travel up to your heart or lungs or brain. Good luck. Let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I had a blood clot on the side that I broke my leg on, not the broken heel side. had to go on warfrin. They kept me on it for 6 months. I also had to keep it up until the I was using it for walking.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

hi Reddaisy, sorry to hear about your clot. At least you caught it. I had several in my lungs a few years ago that I suspected came from a clot in my calf. So now after every surgery I am put on lovenox & coumadin as a preventative measure. WoW, can't believe they want you walking so soon!
Hang in there!!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Sorry to hear about your blood clot Reddaisy - not good! Glad you got onto it as quickly as you could. My OS had me injecting myself every day with Clexane whilst I was NWB in casts for almost 4 weeks. Was allowed to stop once I was WBAT in brace and shoe.
Good luck with your appointments this week - hope it goes better for you.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
(female)

reddaisygirl HB User

Thanks everyone! I actually had a blood clot in my lungs about 10 years ago. I wish the dr. would have put me on blood thinners right away, but I am glad that I was able to catch it so soon! I have several follow-up appointments this week, so I'm hoping I can find out more information and feel a little more knowledgeable about what's going on!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

My last procedure my surgeon had me on lovenox shots and coumadin to prevent blood clots. I assume it will be the same this time.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread