It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User
4 Weeks Post op PTTD Surgery

It's hard to believe that I am celebrating 4 weeks post op. It's been a mixed few weeks with some really good days and some that are so-so. What's important is that I'm healing..

Originally, I was diagnosed with Left Posterior Tibial Tendon Insufficiency, Achilles Contracture, Flat Foot Deformity, Hallux Valgus Deformity.

The MRI proceeding surgery revealed more issues.

I had the following procedures done during my surgery: Left Posterior Tibial Tendon Repair, Flexor Digitorum Longus Tendon Transfer, Posterior Calcaneal Osteotomy,Anterior Calcaneal Osteotomy, First Metatarsal Tarsal Fusion, Spring Ligament Repair, Modified McBride, Akin Osteotomy Great Toe, Iliac Crest Tricortical Bone Graft Harvest, Achilles Lengthening, Anterior Bone Marrow Aspirate for Bone Marrow Concentrate, Flexor Hallucis Longus/Flexor Digitorum Longus Tenodesis.

The surgery lasted just under 8 hours.

I have been on Norco for pain management and am now down to 2 a day. My goal is to wean off of it by week 5 and to just deal with the pain which varies between a 1-3. Am also on Lovenox and really dislike the daily injections but know I need to do this.

I'm still taking "bird" baths and washing my hair in the kitchen sink. I couldn't get the cast protector on without it really hurting. There was no way that was going to make it over my cast. I have no idea how people are able to use it but I failed miserably. (I'm petite too)

When I had the splint removed and the cast put on we took photos. I knew there would be alot of sutures - and yet I was still surprised. We have dubbed my foot, "Frankenfoot."

I have definitely had some Post op blues with no one really to talk to other than my family.
Three more weeks until I go back to my OS for a CT scan and hopefully moving to the boot.
Looking forward to brighter days.

The following user gives a hug of support to exdancer2:
angelee43 (01-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User
Re: 4 Weeks Post op PTTD Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdancer2 View Post
It's hard to believe that I am celebrating 4 weeks post op. It's been a mixed few weeks with some really good days and some that are so-so. What's important is that I'm healing..

Originally, I was diagnosed with Left Posterior Tibial Tendon Insufficiency, Achilles Contracture, Flat Foot Deformity, Hallux Valgus Deformity.

The MRI proceeding surgery revealed more issues.

I had the following procedures done during my surgery: Left Posterior Tibial Tendon Repair, Flexor Digitorum Longus Tendon Transfer, Posterior Calcaneal Osteotomy,Anterior Calcaneal Osteotomy, First Metatarsal Tarsal Fusion, Spring Ligament Repair, Modified McBride, Akin Osteotomy Great Toe, Iliac Crest Tricortical Bone Graft Harvest, Achilles Lengthening, Anterior Bone Marrow Aspirate for Bone Marrow Concentrate, Flexor Hallucis Longus/Flexor Digitorum Longus Tenodesis.

The surgery lasted just under 8 hours.

I have been on Norco for pain management and am now down to 2 a day. My goal is to wean off of it by week 5 and to just deal with the pain which varies between a 1-3. Am also on Lovenox and really dislike the daily injections but know I need to do this.

I'm still taking "bird" baths and washing my hair in the kitchen sink. I couldn't get the cast protector on without it really hurting. There was no way that was going to make it over my cast. I have no idea how people are able to use it but I failed miserably. (I'm petite too)

When I had the splint removed and the cast put on we took photos. I knew there would be alot of sutures - and yet I was still surprised. We have dubbed my foot, "Frankenfoot."

I have definitely had some Post op blues with no one really to talk to other than my family.
Three more weeks until I go back to my OS for a CT scan and hopefully moving to the boot.
Looking forward to brighter days.
Hi ExDancer
After almost 8 hrs of surgery sounds like you are doing well considering all that work. Where in Boston did you have it done? The problem with your cast cover was it probably was too small. I was told to get Xlarge and it worked well over my size 101/2 foot with cast. I am now 15 weeks post Triple Arthrodesis and archillles lengthening.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

8 hours of surgery, holy cow! Happy to hear your pain is manageable. Happy healing. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to PesCav For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Wow - 8 hours! Mine was 3 and I thought that was a long time. I know what you mean about the cast cover, my husband helped with mine and the first few weeks it hurt my ankle to pull it on and off. I am almost 6 weeks out now and I can do it by myself now without pain, but I had much less work done than you did.

Hang in there!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

When you get into the boot showering will be so much easier. I had the same experience with the cast cover...no idea how people actually get those on. It didn't even seem like it would fit my arm, let alone my whole leg. If you don't already have a handheld shower head you might want to look into one. Also, they have stick on (suction) grab bars that help a lot.
Post op blues are absolutely normal. Maybe treat yourself to something special for a little pick me up, and remember, we are all here for you 24/7. Nothing is too big or small to vent about. We've all been there and as sympathetic as friends and family may be, they really don't get it. So post away on here...lots of shoulders to lean on, cry on...whatever you need.
Big hugs,
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Oh sweetie. You had so much done! I used two kitchen sized garbage bags and painters tape - the blue stuff - and a shower chair with a removable shower head. It worked really well. The tape doesn't hurt your skin... And my splint never got wet. I used lots of tape and it was easy to remove...

A real shower might help you feel better. I hope you heal well!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Hi dancer, I finally got my itemized report too. Exact to yours. Wow. I also took pics and have now just reviewed them another WOW. I see dr. D. On Jan 23. I am not sure what to expect. I am hoping for a boot but I feel that it may end up being another hard cast. The back-and-forth to New York is difficult. Less than you but takes us almost 4 hours. Kristine has not been that forthcoming with information. I guess each case heals differently. At week four I was off the narcotics. I am getting around my house on the scooter. And we went out for dinner this last week. Getting down the steps to the garage was difficult. I cannot take a shower because there is a lip on the edge of my shower. I also bought an extra large cast cover and it is and was difficult . So I bird bath too. It is a very big shower and I have a chair in it. But I can't jump over the lip. So hair washing is in the laundry room sink. I am able to move my foot very slightly inside the big pink cast. I assume that means it is healing and the swelling is going down. My hematologist stopped me on the Lovenox and I am on Coumadin every night by pill. Sadly I have to take my blood work every other day. A visiting nurse has to come to ***** my finger. So.... I am glad you are doing better/well, considering. I have had a few bad moments.... Feeli g sorry for myself. Friends are now coming to visit and bringing food. All of it is much welcome. I hope you continue to improve...me too. Take care. Keep us posted.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pesher:
exdancer2 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Pesher, my shower has a lip too. I back my scooter in, keep my bad knee on it, step in with the other foot and skooch over til I can sit down. When I had a splint I just propped my foot on it outside of the shower. I needed help the first couple of times but was able to do it myself after that. They also sell stick on, suction grab bars that help a lot.
Ginger

Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

This is similar to what I do too...I pull the shower chair as close to the edge of the shower as I can, then I can get right up to the shower, turn around, and sit down on the chair. I kinda have to scoot the chair back once I'm in, but it works. Getting out is a little more difficult, I scoot the chair back to the edge and stand up on my good foot. Have to balance for long enough to get the crutches under me and I don't have much to hold on to, not to mention being wet, but it works.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Thanks. The bars won't work...too much uneven tiling. May try the scootch method.
Thanks.
P

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

For a real shower as opposed to a sponge bath I would do just about anything.
G.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Thank you for all the great replies!

Showers - Oh what I would do for a long hot shower. Thanks for the great suggestions about the shower bags and blue painter's tape which we have in the house. I may gather enough courage to try it. I'm just scared that if it does get wet I have to drive 5 hours down to NY to change casts. My daughters have bought me some spa supplies so hopefully I'll start to feel a little more upbeat pampering myself.

My husband also went out, yesterday, and purchased a handheld shower head - which may be my best bet. Mind you, pre op, I'm a 2 shower a day person. I love my showers.

Cast cover - I checked on the box and it didn't state what size it was. Wish I could return it.

Powerplay - I had the surgery at HSS in NY. I did see several OS in Boston but ultimately felt most confident with the OS in NY.

Pesher - Thank you so much for your update. Please post after your next doctor visit. At my 2 week visit Kris told me I would most likely be in a boot at 7 weeks and would be able to sleep without it at night. Rodney told me, while applying the cast, that I'd be back for another cast. I'm going with Kris and praying. I actually did have to email the office with a couple of important questions and hear back within 24 hours. I'm wondering how long we are required to be on the blood thinners? Is it over once the cast comes off?

I have girl friends who are treating me to lunch at home next week and I'm starting to plan, "play dates" (can't believe I'm writing this) with friends. I need to see people.

Hugs to you all and good healing!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
(female)

So tomorrow I will shower. Hubby bought a SEAL TITE cast cover. Dancer I think the Coumadin is until better mobility and no cast. I emailed Kris to ask about sleeping now without wedge and pillow. How I would love to turn to my side. She said yes. Entering week 6 now. I see him a week from Wednesday. Yes, Rodney suggested another hard cast, but Kris said maybe a huge boot. Praying. But I hear the boot is a pain. Heavy. Am counting the days, hours, minutes. My children live in CA, and I so want to get there in the spring. Missing them terribly. Hubby retired this year...it was our winter to spend in CA. Ha Ha! Man plans, G-d laughs!
Keep in touch.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I am at 12 weeks post op very similar surgery. I only did one week of lovenox with coumadin & then just coumadin there after. I WILL be on it until I am able to walk normally. At 4 weeks I was still in bed propped up on pillows. I LOVED the memory foam contour pillow with others below. I iced most of the time ...elevating most of the day & night for 8 weeks. It amazes me that others say they were more mobile. I went shopping only a few times using the scooter. MY knee is now sore from the scooter. Looking forward to pwb this week. Hang in there! We are all in this together!
Bonnie

Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
(female)

Pesher, Would love to hear how the shower went and if the cast cover was good.

Sorry about your cancelled trip to CA. We are originally from Southern CA and go back each year. Just keep thinking that you are healing and maybe you can get back in the spring with limited mobility.

We love to travel too. I checked with the doctor's office about flying in early March as we have a family life-cycle event overseas. It's a 12 hour flight and was told I could go but would not be able to walk and would have to inject myself for the flights with the blood thinner. My husband and I decided that we are going to wait until late spring to see everyone and bring gifts if I'm ok to fly at that time.

We use the same saying in our household. We were supposed to be on a trip overseas when I got the call about the surgical opening. It meant missing our trip. Priorities are priorities and health comes first.
Can't wait to hear how your office visit goes next week!

Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal osteotomy, fdl transfer, pttd, spring ligament