It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Surgery in 35 hours! Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision

Getting so so so so so nervous! I am barely able to eat anything. This is rare for me. I am a stress eater. Not that its bad. I could use to drop some poundage! I am trying to keep my mind occupied!

Thank you for all of the support. I have never been given anything for nerves before going back into surgery. Has anyone here received anything to calm you down before going into surgery? I am ready to have it overwith!

Take it easy!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following 5 users give hugs of support to: LadyKanner
angelee43 (01-14-2013), erin4 (01-14-2013), ginger62 (01-14-2013), Mr Blotto (01-15-2013), Troly59 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User
Re: Surgery in 35 hours! Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision

Hey Kimberly!!
Will be thinking of you and hoping that it's over and done with quickly and as painlessly as possible (with drugs, of course).
Sorry - can't help with the nerve stuff prior to surgery as my experience was my one and only and first experience so far.
Whatever you need right now to get you through it - make sure you have it!!
Wish I could come and keep you mentally busy to distract you - but you are too far away
Take care - hope the time goes quick for you

The Following User Says Thank You to angelee43 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Good luck. I wouldn't take any drugs to relax you. It's too close to surgery. Go shopping, browsing, to keep your mind busy. And eat because you will lose weight anyway. Lunch with the girls. All the best....this one will work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pesher For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

LadyKanner yes I did get something from the doctor for my nerves, call them tomorrow and ask them to get you something. I didn't take mine since the day of surgery I was calm as can be which I was surprised. Good luck on Wednesday and keep us posted!

The Following User Says Thank You to erin4 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

You'll be fine. You've been through this before, so you know what you are up against. That doesn't necessarily make it easier, but knowing is half the battle.

As for nerves, I don't know what they gave me, but whatever they shot into my arm really helped. They gave me an initial sedative before wheeling me out that according to my mom made me quite funny. Then in the hallway outside the OR when I started to cry (anxiety) they calmed me down and gave me something else. Don't ask me what they shot into my arm, but I was definitely able to calm down. Then the gas mask was on me and I was out.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to AdkLizard46 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

They told me if I had any (drugs, legal of course) that it would be fine to take if I wanted even the morning of surgery. Unfortunately, I did not, darn it! Call your doc if you need to and ask for something to help you sleep tomorrow night. Can you have a glass of wine or a beer tonight?
It's going to be over before you know it! Doesn't help you much now, though. Sorry honey.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
It will be okay sweetheart... Really. You're already in pain now. This is the step you need to take to make it go away. Really.

Your boyfriend will be there to help and we will be here to listen.

Drink that glass of wine... Go out for a nice lunch - I know you are on a budget but tomorrow is the day to splurge a little if you can. Maybe see a matinee...

Thinking of you. It will be okay...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I couldn't sleep at all, but didn't want to take any drugs before surgery. I figured on e O got to the hospital, I'd have so many meds, I'd sleep very well!
Day before surgery, I did go out for the day, had a nice lunch with hubby. Gonhave a fun day tomorrow. it'll help keep your mind busy,mplus it's gonna be awhile before you feel like going out. It's gonna be over before you know it. Best wishes, and look forward to hearing from you when you're up to posting.

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I also will be thinking about you and I hope everything goes well! I'm sure it will and this will be it for you! Road to recovery!! I agree with Snowrunner-- splurge a little tomorrow!! Please let us know as soon as you are able how you are doing after surgery!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood48 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

I'll be thinking of you on the day of surgery and I do wish you the best. You've been so wonderful to the rest of us!
I know when I had mine, I planned on working till the day of, and unexpectedly I had 3 extra days off, my replacement had to start then. My nerves were so crazy! The day before my mom and I went shopping and had lunch. Like everyone else, if you can, go out for a bit, it definitely helps! And if you think you'll need it, call the drs office and see if they can call something in.
Again, good luck!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

The Following User Says Thank You to Erie0385 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
(female)

jlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB Userjlynn66 HB User

Lady K...
I haven't checked in on this site too much with the holidays and all and just decided to check today. So sorry to see that you have a new surgery as that means the bones didn't re-fuse after the pt mishaps. But glad that you are moving out of the holding pattern you've been in.
I feel for you and your nerves. You have been down a long road already. Keep yourself busy with things you enjoy and if the doc says it's ok, I'm always for a good glass of wine Besides that I will be praying for your peace of mind and a positive outcome. I going in for the 1-1/2 year follow-up to my fusion on Thursday. May you be walking as pain free as I am, this time next year!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jlynn66 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Hi Kimberly YES, Atavan works great. I'm sure your Dr would RX you one or two tablets. I've had to use this in the past because I work myself up into a full body rash.
I wish you the best, it's harder for you being a revision, and knowing what it's all about this time. I envisioned myself running, and jumping with perfect feeling feet that preop day and eve. Also I was RX'd ATARAX. For post op when I was having my emotional break downs. Helps calm by making you sleepy and helps with itching. I found it very helpful. YOu're in our thoughts, as a member of the messed up foot/feet club. STAY calm. LYN

The Following User Says Thank You to Troly59 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. My cousins/best friends came up tonight and had a girls night at my house with movies and popcorn then an impromptu trip to that horrendous store that seems to be everyone to get a few last minute items. It kept me occupied. Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for lunch, then meeting my uncle to go pick up a cedar chest to use as a temporary dresser while I sleep in the downstairs and my brother will be arriving. We will go to dinner so I definitely plan to stay busy tomorrow. I am a hot mess but will be okay. I wasn't this nervous last time. Last time I was so nonchalant about it all. I'll be ready for them to just knock me out and get it going. I didn't sleep much the night before last time so I was extremely tired come time for surgery.

Once again thank you! Your words mean more than you even know.
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Star6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB UserStar6 HB User

Best of luck with it all Kimberly i cant speak about surgery yet as i havent had anything done yet for my ankle and dont know what he wants to do til the end of feb! when i get to find out what he wants to do surgery wise! But i know what its like to be in pain with nothing helping to make it better before hand. Hope things go well for you and that you have a good day with your brother etc and distract yourself well and i am sure surgery will go well and we will all be here for you when you need us

Last edited by Star6; 01-15-2013 at 12:02 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Star6 For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Oh Kimberly, right there with you on the nerves!! I have a history of panic attacks, so I have Ativan on hand and I have taken a few in the past week. Its nerve wracking waiting, isn't it? Fortunately, I am swamped at work getting ready to be out for a couple of months, and that is distracting. And this morning is my pre-op with my primary. Joy.

Closed Thread

Tags
pre-surgery nerves, subtalar arthrodesis, subtalar fusion