It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User
Re: Apt at Mercy Hospital and Dr. Jeng

LOL. A bit intimidating huh? Well, he thought that the first surgeon did the brostrum procedure correctly - but didn't go low/far enough to look at the other tendons/ligaments. My friend, Judy, who has been on this adventure since the beginning - she can be very intimidating as well...... maybe we will cross paths

Old 01-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrunner View Post
How wonderful to have some answers. It's hard not know exactly what he's going to do, knowing that some of the issues - the nerve issues - will be fixed.

March seems so long but in the scheme of things... It's not that bad!
I wish it was sooner, but he is booked out all the way to March. I am a little anxious - as Judy, the one who has been going through all this with me, is leaving on 3/31/13 for a month with her husband. I have found somebody who will stay for me with another week or two - and Judy & RB have agreed to let me stay here while they are gone - so that will help a lot. I have been so spoiled by Judy - I dread not having her during four weeks of recovery....but I have others who will step up to the plate.... I'm just extremely spoiled with Judy is all. I wish it was sooner, but oh well. I'm glad it is planned and on the books - now workers comp has to "approve" it. Last time it took them almost 12 weeks to approve the first surgery - so who knows if I will actually HAVE the surgery as scheduled.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Yay Joy!! So glad you got answers and are on the books for surgery to get this fixed! I'm also glad you like your new doctor! So important!! Did he tell you the name of the nerve he's going to release? Is it a sinus tarsi tunnel release? Just wondering because it is lower on the foot and sometimes develops after surgery. Also it is rare that they have to take the tendon from your big toe to fix the ligaments especially if your Brostrom was successful (another yay!), but they can transfer the peroneus longus tendon to the brevis tendon if that is torn again or didn't heal correctly. Ask Snowrunner in that! She just had that surgery done! Sorry Judy will be gone 2 weeks later but glad to have other people lined up. Hopefully not as much work will have to be done and you will be off crutches by the time she leaves! Hang in there! Answers coming! Now come on WC! Approve it!!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Hi Joyful, I recommend you put your name on the cancellation list -- my surgery was moved forward 8 weeks! If/when they move you forward, you have to be ready to move with pre-op checkup, etc, but its worth it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
Yay Joy!! So glad you got answers and are on the books for surgery to get this fixed! I'm also glad you like your new doctor! So important!! Did he tell you the name of the nerve he's going to release? Is it a sinus tarsi tunnel release? Just wondering because it is lower on the foot and sometimes develops after surgery. Also it is rare that they have to take the tendon from your big toe to fix the ligaments especially if your Brostrom was successful (another yay!), but they can transfer the peroneus longus tendon to the brevis tendon if that is torn again or didn't heal correctly. Ask Snowrunner in that! She just had that surgery done! Sorry Judy will be gone 2 weeks later but glad to have other people lined up. Hopefully not as much work will have to be done and you will be off crutches by the time she leaves! Hang in there! Answers coming! Now come on WC! Approve it!!
Hi Hollywood - I don't remember the name of the nerve. The one that is giving me problems is the one where they put the scope in for the first surgery - on the front of my foot/ankle. Does that help? He drew on it yesterday He did say that taking the tendon from the big toe really isn't a concern for him - he doesn't think it will happen - but wanted to give me a heads up about it...just in case. He did say absolutely NO weight bearing for the first two weeks & then gradually increase to PWB. He wants me to start rehab 2 weeks after the surgery. I guess I will start up here near Judy's house & transfer down to my house when I am able to go home. Since it is my driving foot - I'm not sure how I will even get home, etc .... but I'm sure it will work out! He also wants me to take shots after surgery - I had a blood clot in 1991 when I had knee surgery - so he wants me to use Lovenox every day for the first two weeks after surgery(by injection through stomach) and then take coumadin for another two weeks. He was very, very cautious and honest. I am SO glad I was referred up there......who knew

Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #21
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesCav View Post
Hi Joyful, I recommend you put your name on the cancellation list -- my surgery was moved forward 8 weeks! If/when they move you forward, you have to be ready to move with pre-op checkup, etc, but its worth it.
Hey PesCav

I did request to be put on the cancellation list - the problem is that all of this is a workers comp claim (I fell off a porch delivering pizza over a year ago) So, even if there is a cancellation - I may not be able to take it - if the surgery hasn't been approved yet. They have been notoriouslly slow approving things for me. However, the MRI and visit was approved within 2 weeks this time - instead of 12 weeks....so hopefully they will approve this quickly as well!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Joyful, if you didn't have a scooter for the first surgery, I would strongly suggest that you try to get one this time. Especially if you're concerned about being on your own. I was home alone after the second day (Mercy will probably not keep you overnight) and the scooter made a huge difference. I couldn't have done it on crutches.
I'm so glad you are happy with Dr. Jeng. I really toot their horn because I had such a good experience with them. Having a doc you like and trust is SO important and makes this whole ordeal a little more bearable.
Ginger

Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
Joyful, if you didn't have a scooter for the first surgery, I would strongly suggest that you try to get one this time. Especially if you're concerned about being on your own. I was home alone after the second day (Mercy will probably not keep you overnight) and the scooter made a huge difference. I couldn't have done it on crutches.
I'm so glad you are happy with Dr. Jeng. I really toot their horn because I had such a good experience with them. Having a doc you like and trust is SO important and makes this whole ordeal a little more bearable.
Ginger
Hey there

Well I think the only reason I didn't use the scooter last time is because I stayed up at my friend's house for almost 6 weeks. By the time I got home I was a little more independent. I had left the scooter at home. While I was up here with Judy and RB - they pretty much took care of me and I didn't have that far to "travel". I am going to get the scooter again - from my director at work - just to make sure I have it if I need it, etc.

Dr Jeng said it is considered outpatient surgery. The procedure is 2 1/2 - 3 hours long and told Judy to expect to be there for at least six hours. I am relieved to get this over with...again. My foot is KILLING me tonight, aching, pounding, etc. I have taken some Tramadol and finally put some heat on it - ice just wasn't doing the trick tonight....so, hopefully it will settle down & stop screaming at me.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

He basically said the same thing to me as you - the first guy did ok cleaning out the talar joint, but he should have done the subtalar joint ... and a Brostrums, and tendon repair etc, etc, etc,

The intimidating thing has its perks - it's kind of fun when you scare your male chauvenist pig of boss. It's even better when he doesn't have the security clearance to know what you're working on. };>)

The by-yourself thing is a bit scary. My mom's coming out for the first 2-3 weeks, then has to go home. Dad's 84 so she doesn't want to leave him for too long. Depending how things go, she'll probably come back out for a couple weeks.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinak View Post
He basically said the same thing to me as you - the first guy did ok cleaning out the talar joint, but he should have done the subtalar joint ... and a Brostrums, and tendon repair etc, etc, etc,

The intimidating thing has its perks - it's kind of fun when you scare your male chauvenist pig of boss. It's even better when he doesn't have the security clearance to know what you're working on. };>)

The by-yourself thing is a bit scary. My mom's coming out for the first 2-3 weeks, then has to go home. Dad's 84 so she doesn't want to leave him for too long. Depending how things go, she'll probably come back out for a couple weeks.
Yes, the be by-yourself is a bit scary. When I had the surgery last year - it took me forever to get my feet back under me. The doctor kept saying to be fully weight bearing after two weeks - wanted me off the crutches in two weeks, etc.....it took me almost six weeks to finally get off the crutches. I'm hoping that I'm not on the crutches that long this time around. Dr. Jeng really wants to get me into rehab sooner - but nothing too strenuous other than passive range of motion. So, what date is your surgery? I will have someone with me for three weeks at minimum - maybe for a month. I was talking to Judy this afternoon about staying here the whole month while they are gone - as I am much closer to Mercy Hospital, the doctor, friends from my church, etc...she is going to discuss it with RB. I would feel better if I could stay up here closer to everyone and everything. I live in the sticks of Southern MD..... Judy & RB's home has really become my "home" away from home. Totally adopted me and welcomed me into their family and this ordeal. I am grateful they have totally taken me into their lives and have been walking (no pun intended) through all of this stuff. I would've never guessed that falling off a porch on 12/3/11 would have such a drastic impact and change on my life.....and two surgeries on top of it. I am ready to get this done, to have surgery again - I know it is going to hurt, etc....and I'm not looking forward to that aspect of it - but I do feel "better" knowing that I can trust Dr. Jeng more than I did the other doctor!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I'm so glad you were referred up there too!! Yikes I didn't know you had a history of a clot! You definitely need Lovenox and should've had it first surgery probably! The shots aren't bad at all. The Coumadin will stink because you will have to have weekly blood work, but this is all better than a clot!! Not sure on the nerve. Peroneal maybe? Mine is still disrupted from surgeon. Depends on what side of the front of our ankle. Hopefully you can find someone to drive you places after Judy is gone or maybe there will be a cancellation!!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone! Okay I am freaking out a little bit now. I asked the doctor how long it would be before I could drive.....since he is operating on my right foot. He said I couldn't drive for ten weeks! Whoa! It wasn't that long for the surgery last year. He also said I wouldn't be in a "boot" after surgery - but a splint this time. Any comments on that Hollywood or anyone else out there? I'm getting all worked up about it now. Keep telling myself maybe I will heal faster than he is anticipating???? I am single & live alone. I have the first four weeks covered, maybe up to the first six weeks......but have no idea what to do after that......wow.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #28
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I just got the paperwork back from them yesterday to give HR. I kind of freaked out when they had me off work for 3 months. THREE MONTHS! Uh, um, NO! I called and it's not carved in stone, it's worse case. I'm looking at 3 months not driving. I'm single and live alone, too. Besides that my car is a stick shift. :O

I'm looking for a cheap car for the next 3-4 months. My mom's coming in for a couple weeks. She drove my car last year. It was awful. I now know what guy's feel when they watch another guy get kicked in the jewels. Listening to her drive my car was awful. I found something called a "portable left foot accelerator" It looks like a plan to me. It makes it so you can drive an automatic with your left foot. Not ideal, but better than housebound for 12 weeks. I'm planning on have to do home health or at least a maid service for a couple months. My washer is on the bottom of 3 floors. Gravity will get the dirty clothes down there, back up is going to be a challenge.

So yea, I'm freaking out too. I went out to one of my customers today; I've worked for him for about 4-5 years now. He said "you've got my number, I'm not that far way, call if you need anything" I dropped a giant hint about maybe needing a ride up for a post-op visit. That's the stuff that worries me; getting back to B'more for post-op stuff.

Last edited by wilkinak; 02-01-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah I'd be freaked out too JOY and WILKINAK!

JOY--It does sound odd that there won't be a boot and only 2 wks NWB, but 10 wks not driving. Think I might have to clarify that with the doctor and maybe tell him about your situation and that you won't have help after 4-6 wks!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #30
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

I was surprised when my paperwork came back for 12 weeks, too -- this amount of time is consisent with FMLA. I doubt your boss will be sorry to see you sooner. :-) But before you go back to work, you may want to get a handle on how much PT you will need. My doc says "lots" but I dont really know what that means -- gah, I have to ask more questions!!

I had surgery on my right foot too -- it is such a bummer about driving. The key is being able to brake effectively, of course.

Hang in there, try not to worry. Soon enough we will all be mobile again.

Last edited by PesCav; 02-02-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread