It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #31
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
I bet you're like me... A splint for 2 weeks... Then a boot.... It will be okay thinking of you.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #32
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User
Re: Apt at Mercy Hospital and Dr. Jeng

Joyful, a couple suggestions of things I've looked into:

+ Call your local Council on Aging or Senior Center - they will probably have a list of services available. They are 'marketed' toward blue hairs b/c they are the ones who need them most, but most services are probably are availble to you as well.

+Check with Mercy and see what they can do. See if the F&A clinic can point you toward a social worker at the hospital.

+Peapod - Groceries delivered! I'd rather go the store myself, but if I can't then I can't. There are some small grocers in my area that have a courtesy van, but I don't know if my Spanish is good enough to talk to the drivers.

+ Public Transit - they are required to have to accomodations for handicapped riders. They may have door-to-door access. Where I'm at, I'd have to 'walk' up to the end of my street to pick up the bus which will get me quite a few places, including PT & a grocery store. There may be a form that the DR has to sign.

+ Check your with church, or if you don't have one, call a local one anyway. Helping the sick is sort of a primary mission. I've got to check with mine to find out about Communion on Sunday since there is no way I am dealing with that parking lot mess. If they have anything else available, I'm using it.

+Stool for the kitchen. This is the one time I am thankful for my tiny galley kitchen. Last year, I used it quite a bit so I could cook. Some of the time I just put my knee on it. Helps if it's padded.

+Squeezy Ice packs - I have probably a half dozen freezer packs by now, but I plan on getting case of the squeezy ones and leaving them upstairs so I don't have to come down for them. Also if you put the freezer icepacks in a tube sock you've got a nice handle.

+Not sure where you work, but if you can, take a pillow in BEFORE you go on leave. I got some strange looks when I came in with it, but it was a lot easier to deal with before I was on crutches, and it was there when I went back to work. Take a couple ice packs & an ace bandage in too. (Yes, my office is the site infirmary)

I think I get the splint/soft cast for 2 weeks, then a boot, but 4-6 wks NWB. I'm not broken hearted over not getting a hard cast. I had one on my arm when I broke my fingers and it sucked. It really sucked when the corpsman on the ship I on was replaced it and used 2 rolls of casting to do so. It was so thick the saw wouldn't go all the way through it.

Last edited by wilkinak; 02-02-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: another thought

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #33
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinak View Post
Joyful, a couple suggestions of things I've looked into:

+ Call your local Council on Aging or Senior Center - they will probably have a list of services available. They are 'marketed' toward blue hairs b/c they are the ones who need them most, but most services are probably are availble to you as well.

+Check with Mercy and see what they can do. See if the F&A clinic can point you toward a social worker at the hospital.

+Peapod - Groceries delivered! I'd rather go the store myself, but if I can't then I can't. There are some small grocers in my area that have a courtesy van, but I don't know if my Spanish is good enough to talk to the drivers.

+ Public Transit - they are required to have to accomodations for handicapped riders. They may have door-to-door access. Where I'm at, I'd have to 'walk' up to the end of my street to pick up the bus which will get me quite a few places, including PT & a grocery store. There may be a form that the DR has to sign.

+ Check your with church, or if you don't have one, call a local one anyway. Helping the sick is sort of a primary mission. I've got to check with mine to find out about Communion on Sunday since there is no way I am dealing with that parking lot mess. If they have anything else available, I'm using it.

+Stool for the kitchen. This is the one time I am thankful for my tiny galley kitchen. Last year, I used it quite a bit so I could cook. Some of the time I just put my knee on it. Helps if it's padded.

+Squeezy Ice packs - I have probably a half dozen freezer packs by now, but I plan on getting case of the squeezy ones and leaving them upstairs so I don't have to come down for them. Also if you put the freezer icepacks in a tube sock you've got a nice handle.

+Not sure where you work, but if you can, take a pillow in BEFORE you go on leave. I got some strange looks when I came in with it, but it was a lot easier to deal with before I was on crutches, and it was there when I went back to work. Take a couple ice packs & an ace bandage in too. (Yes, my office is the site infirmary)

I think I get the splint/soft cast for 2 weeks, then a boot, but 4-6 wks NWB. I'm not broken hearted over not getting a hard cast. I had one on my arm when I broke my fingers and it sucked. It really sucked when the corpsman on the ship I on was replaced it and used 2 rolls of casting to do so. It was so thick the saw wouldn't go all the way through it.

Hi there! Well, I will stay at my friend's house for at least a month, if not six weeks - which will help tremendously. I live so far in the sticks - we don't really have a bus service down my way. I looked into peapod a while ago - we don't have that service down where I live....yet. Mercy is at least two hours away from where I live. I am staying with some friends, Judy & RB - and they live about 30 minutes from Baltimore, they are closer to our church, etc, etc, etc.

Thankfully work will let me work at home for the whole 10 weeks that I will not be able to drive - so thankfully that is not an issue.

I've decided 10 weeks must be the WORST case scenario - so I am hoping/shooting to be driving by 5-6 weeks, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions though! I am assuming after the splint that Dr. Jeng will either put me in a boot or cast - not sure which one. Guess I will find out

I just got really paranoid last night about all of it....reality seemed to hit me right between the eyes. I just went through all of this last February for the FIRST surgery - I had forgotten all the "little" details, etc, etc, etc. Need to run through the "list" for NWB at the top of the health forums, etc. Thankfully I do have some time to get my mind set "right" and to get ready for this surgery....

Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
Veteran
(female)

joyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB Userjoyful123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinak View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I just got the paperwork back from them yesterday to give HR. I kind of freaked out when they had me off work for 3 months. THREE MONTHS! Uh, um, NO! I called and it's not carved in stone, it's worse case. I'm looking at 3 months not driving. I'm single and live alone, too. Besides that my car is a stick shift. :O

I'm looking for a cheap car for the next 3-4 months. My mom's coming in for a couple weeks. She drove my car last year. It was awful. I now know what guy's feel when they watch another guy get kicked in the jewels. Listening to her drive my car was awful. I found something called a "portable left foot accelerator" It looks like a plan to me. It makes it so you can drive an automatic with your left foot. Not ideal, but better than housebound for 12 weeks. I'm planning on have to do home health or at least a maid service for a couple months. My washer is on the bottom of 3 floors. Gravity will get the dirty clothes down there, back up is going to be a challenge.

So yea, I'm freaking out too. I went out to one of my customers today; I've worked for him for about 4-5 years now. He said "you've got my number, I'm not that far way, call if you need anything" I dropped a giant hint about maybe needing a ride up for a post-op visit. That's the stuff that worries me; getting back to B'more for post-op stuff.
I bet getting back to Baltimore does worry you - YIKES! How long will your mom be in town to help out? I JUST took my "spare" car off the road - and returned the tags last week. It is an automatic, sigh. Sorry about that. I am feeling a little better today - SnowRunner let me "vent" on her last night - which helped a lot. This board and the people involved has really been such a help to me - last year and now, this year!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #35
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
Yeah I'd be freaked out too JOY and WILKINAK!

JOY--It does sound odd that there won't be a boot and only 2 wks NWB, but 10 wks not driving. Think I might have to clarify that with the doctor and maybe tell him about your situation and that you won't have help after 4-6 wks!
Hey Hollywood - you are probably correct - but feel like I've already made a nuisance out of myself with the surgery coordinator - because I have so much paperwork that needs to be filled out for BOTH jobs - since it is a workers comp claim - we have all of that paperwork to complete. And then for my f/t job - I have to go out on FMLA - so there is paperwork for that as well as for using so much annual/sick leave.

Dr. Jeng said it would be 2 weeks NWB - and then "Gradually" increase to PWB. He wants to start rehab on week three - to make sure I don't get scar tissue built up in it ..... again. He said the rehab for week three & four would be ONLY for passive range of motion - still not really "weight" bearing....but not "bound" to the couch as the first two weeks. He said he really didn't want me getting up or moving around at all the first two weeks - to move around as little as possible, etc.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesCav View Post
I was surprised when my paperwork came back for 12 weeks, too -- this amount of time is consisent with FMLA. I doubt your boss will be sorry to see you sooner. :-) But before you go back to work, you may want to get a handle on how much PT you will need. My doc says "lots" but I dont really know what that means -- gah, I have to ask more questions!!

I had surgery on my right foot too -- it is such a bummer about driving. The key is being able to brake effectively, of course.

Hang in there, try not to worry. Soon enough we will all be mobile again.
Hey PesCav - yes it is consistent with FMLA. And thankfully - I can work at home for the whole time that I cannot drive. So, that isn't really an issue, thankfully. Dr. Jeng said for week three & four - that I would only go to PT once, maybe twice a week - he just wants to do passive ROM to avoid scar tissue building up in it....again.

And sadly - I have been braking with my left foot since surgery last year (2/22/12) cause it still so hard to drive and it hurts to brake with my right foot....so..... we shall see I guess.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #37
Veteran
(female)

Well I called Dr. Jeng's office today to talk to his nurse about how long I need to be off from work. I am able to work at home and wanted to when I could start working at home. The nurse looked up my chart as well as spoke to Dr. Jeng about my surgery. The nurse told me that I would be non weight bearing for four weeks. I will start PT two weeks after surgery but only for passive range of motion - no weight bearing activities. At week four I will go back to see Dr. Jeng and he will either put me in a cast or a boot and then will begin to gradually become PWB, etc. She wanted me to take the month off from my job - even though I can work at home. She said to decide with whatever I felt comfortable with. So, I'm thinking about asking her if I can be off the first two weeks and then on the third week go back to work for four hours - as tolerated. I must confess I am a little nervous...and am glad I have several weeks to get all this situated and planned out

Closed Thread