It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User
4 days post triple arthrodesis

Well, made it home after a 2 nt stay. Its day 4 and I take my narcotics only at nt. The pain is getting worse though. I'm going 2 take it easy 2moro and keep my leg up most of the day. I feel popping sounds sometimes when my leg is tight when using crutches. Most of the pain is in the heal area. I may be doing 2 much. The pain is a deep ache. I feel feverish during the day. I will be taking OTC pain meds during the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User
Re: 4 days post triple arthrodesis

Call your dr re fever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

I had to keep my leg elevated for at least 23 hrs of the day for the first 10 days in the splint - big toe level with my nose (OS said 23 and 3/4 hrs of the day - but 23 worked really well and definitely helped with my recovery).
and definitely call your dr about the fever.........
take care

Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtotriparthro View Post
Well, made it home after a 2 nt stay. Its day 4 and I take my narcotics only at nt. The pain is getting worse though. I'm going 2 take it easy 2moro and keep my leg up most of the day. I feel popping sounds sometimes when my leg is tight when using crutches. Most of the pain is in the heal area. I may be doing 2 much. The pain is a deep ache. I feel feverish during the day. I will be taking OTC pain meds during the day.
Hi Newtotriple
Sounds like your surgery went ok. The key is keeping your foot elevated. I spent most of my days in a recliner doing computer work related stuff. Not sure why you are having popping sounds so best to call your Dr. I know you are using crutches but you really should consider getting a knee walker or at least renting one to see how you like it.
You say you feel feverish but what is the thermomter saying? If you do have a fever you need to call your Dr. Have your feet elevated for another few weeks . You can still go out an about to do errands. Was it your left or right ankle? I was driving one week after surgery and using my left foot to drive going to the gym and mall etc. but I can't imagine doing that with crutches.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

I go in tomorrow to get my cast. I'm dreading seeing the mangled mess. I don't keep it up as much as I should. Will try and get a knee walker next week.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

You will be fine. Souchers or whatever they used ( staples) will come off with no pain and Dr will recast. A few scars and swelling but when the cast finally comes off in 6-8 weeks that is when you foot is going to look strange ( mine looked like a cadaver foot) since so many weeks of not getting bathed or air. I soaked my foot for 30 mins in a large bucket and had to do it a few times to remove the dead skin. I started PT a few days later and wanted to make sure if look presentable and it did.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

Hi Powerplay. Thanks for the info on what to luk forward to. After I had an external fixator a couple of years ago, the fut was brutal. I cant wait to start the painful process of PT, cuz that is when real healing can begin, besides all the inner healing that will have already been done.

External fixator and achilles lengthening around 12/14/10.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
(female)

fleafly HB User

Hello all. I hope, newtotriparthro, that your recovery is going well. I was wondering if you would give us an update on how you're doing...? You should be into your PT by now, I would think. How is that going? If you don't mind telling, what prompted the triple arthrodesis surgery, and were you given any other alternatives? What were your concerns going into the surgery? I look forward to some news. Thanks, and please be well.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Keeping your foot UP ALL the TIME is most important - resting and elevating are the key. Yes, if fever for sure call the Dr. I am now 20 weeks post op - I still ice and elevate before bedtime. I use a cane sometimes, but where you are, I was not even up except for the bathroom. Hubby served food in bed, or the knee walker got me to the kitchen. I drove around week 12. Left foot is surgical. Now in a brace and sneakers, and still hobbling and scuffing a bit. Please, Please, Please -- keep that foot way UP!!!!
good luck!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

hi everyone. yes, i started pt last week. it was a bit painful. finding the right shoes with the brace hasnt been easy. my foot rolls to the right slightly when i walk, so i have a lift on the insole. its way better than what my foot used to do. i decided to have the surgery because after 8 breaks in my foot and a severe ankle dislocation following a car accident, my foot didnt heal right and it was extremely painful to walk. i had been walking completely on the outside of my foot, and it was just bad. i had one fiberglass brace that had a bar on the side of the foot. that thing was terrible, as it kept digging into my foot. i got one with the bar in the back, which is a lot better, and got a lift on the insole to keep the foot from rolling. it swells up a lot on the sides, and hurts up at the top where the foot bends a lot. ice and advil dont take away all the swelling. i found a some zip nike shoes yesterday and wow, were they comfortable without the brace. my foot went to the side a little, but those may be great with a lift in the insole without the brace. the brace is a pain. i walk with a limp a lot and hobble, which is killing my hips and lower back. so, im still a long ways from better, but im better than day one.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: newtotriparthro
bshorter30 (04-30-2013), fleafly (04-29-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to newtotriparthro For This Useful Post:
fleafly (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
(female)

fleafly HB User

Nice to hear from you. It's early in your rehab so swelling is to be expected. As far as the brace goes, it sounds as if you could maybe use a different prosthetist. Whatever you do, don't rush it. You certainly don't want to have to go back to surgery because of failed hardware or some other problem. Ice and elevate for sure, eat properly, and get plenty of rest. Take good care of yourself and keep us posted.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

thanks. yeah im not rushing it. not sure why my foot swells up on either side of my foot by the ankle as if it swallowed a baseball.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
(female)

fleafly HB User

It seems as if the description of your surgery (TA, Achilles lengthening, tendon transfer) might explain why you are having the swelling issue. Your foot and ankle are in a different position than they were before, so your entire foot structure - ligaments, tendons, nerves, bones - is working in a different way than pre-surgery. Any kind of stress can cause swelling and tenderness. Worry if the swelling does not go down, but otherwise, I would think that Tylenol, ice and elevation are your best friends for bringing the swelling down.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
(male)

newtotriparthro HB User

very true. it hadnt been sitting right for a few years. and its all put back together, so that makes sense. ive been getting a lot of popping when i stretch in the back by the achilise.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
(female)

fleafly HB User

I can't speak about your specifics, but I think that swelling can sometimes cause the tendons to sort of pop as they stretch or move. I guess I would say to see if the popping goes away as the swelling decreases. Either way, you should mention it to the doctor at your next appointment.

Closed Thread