It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
(female)

Fifi Dog HB User
Bunion Surgery 4 weeks!

Hi

Okay so I am having bunion surgery 4 weeks this thursday on valentines day! How romantic! Anyways I have had them for aslong as I can rememeber (I'm 20) and have been wanting to have this done for so long. But now as its getting closer to the day I am starting to panic expecially about work as I am on an agency and wont be getting paid How long do you think I will be off work for? I work in an office so sat down 90% of the day and I am having both feet done and toes straightened. Any advice would be great! Also how will I get around the house do I get crutches? (Might be a silly question as I am having both feet done and dont no how I would be able to use them)

Thanks

Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
(male)

jobert HB User
Re: Bunion Surgery 4 weeks!

Hi, I had both feet done Chevron Akin procedure and was able to walk like a pingouin the same day but feet up 95% of the time, used crutches 2 or 3 days, i had no pain at all and had bandages only, K wires was used for holding the bones for 6 weeks, because i work in an aircraft hangar i was off work for 3 months, going back the 26 of january, wire removal was painless, ( like touching a ring on your finger ) I was fairly mobile the 2nd week.
Good luck and all the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
(female)

Fifi Dog HB User

I hope I am not off work that long I have told them I should be off for only 6 weeks! Glad everything has gone well for you though I have my pre op this friday thats when I think it will sick in that I am going to go through with this. I don't no what will be worse foot pain or watching day time TV!

Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
(male)

jobert HB User

Do you know which procedure you are getting ?
I was put in a light sleep for 1.5 hours and local anesthesia at the toe area they were numb for 24 to 72 hours, a pain killer and anti inflamatory protocal was prescribed for 4 days, i only did 2 days, if you have a similar procedure as i did with a good orthopedic surgeon than you should be good at the 3rd week to move around a lot more.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

tla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB Usertla921 HB User

Hi, I had bilateral bunionectomies in November. Both feet had the bone cut and 2 screws placed. I was able to walk from day 1 (actually, more of a hobble). I was to use crutches for 2-3 days immediately following surgery, but it was safer for me to butt scoot. I kept my feet elevated at all times unless I went to the bathroom. Today I am 8 weeks post op and am in regular shoes. I don't work but could've gone back weeks ago to a desk job as long as I could've elevated my feet. My experience has been a piece of cake compared to the horror stories that I have read; for which I am extremely thankful. Daytime TV wasn't as bad as I expected since I have cable. I was also on the computer A LOT!!
Try not to panic. After surgery do EXACTLY what your doctor tells you -- do not overdo it and you should be fine. Hopefully, you will heal super fast since you are so young.
Good Luck!

Closed Thread