It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
(male)

saadi1786 HB User
Ankle Impingement Surgery - HELP!!

Hi,

I have recently (6 days ago) undergone an ankle arthroscopy for anterior impingement. There was also some ankle debridement carried out at the time as the surgeon said it was pretty bad. There were spurs on both the talus and tibia which were removed.

On the whole, I am recovering well from surgery, the pain doesn't seem too bad.

The thing which is really concerning me however, is that my ankle still feels very restricted when dorsiflexing, in fact I don't think there is any noticeable improvement in the range. This was my main reason for going ahead with the surgery - so i could regain my range of motion, walk without a limp and go back to normal activities. At the moment, I still can't see any improvements.

The test I have been doing is putting my foot against a wall and seeing how far I can take my knee towards the wall keeping my ankle grounded. I can do this with my right foot even about 3 inches away from the wall, but when I attempt with my left, my knee is still an inch off the wall even with my foot right up against it. This isn't any different to pre-surgery.

I am booked in to see the surgeon next week to have my stitches removed so will discuss this with him at the time but has anyone experienced something similar? Would really appreciate some advice/input here.

Having been a fit healthy active person, I've now had ongoing issues with first my hip and now my ankle for over a year. Having previously had surgery/rehab for my hip, only to find the problem still there, I am really hoping it is not a repeat with my ankle.

Look forward to a response. Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Ankle Impingement Surgery - HELP!!

Wecome to the board!
Now, I'm really sure about your specific surgery, since mine (5weeks ago) was way more invasive, I had extensive debridement, an antolateral impingement removed (arthroscopy) and open ligament reconstruction using my tendon. But I would think that only being 6 days post-op, you can't really call this a success or failure yet. Is there still a lot of swelling? That could be causing problems with movement. Also you may want to ask your doctor if physical therapy would be beneficial. They can give you excersises and stretching to help move things along.
I wish you the best in recovery, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

I also had done what you had done plus more like erin. I had the arthroscopy with bone spur removal, OCD removal and clean up plus the modified brostrom-gould reconstruction, synovectomy, ptt release and posterior process of the talus - bone impingement osteotomised (cut off) - when he cut me open for the ligament recon.
I am now14 wks post op.
Even though on the outside, an arthroscopy doesn't look like much with only two small holes, don't forget that your ankle has now been traumatised, expanded, poked and prodded - and it's going to take a little while for things to settle down.
Give it time - things will improve - I was in plaster for almost 4wks and then brace and runner for another 8 wks.
There will be days when you feel like you are not making progress and then suddenly, you will realise that you are. It's almost like 3 steps forward, 1 step back and a plateau every now-and-then.
Speak to your doc, get some exercises to do and do them every day. Go to PT, do everything they say and you will see improvement. It is still early days

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

Give it some time. I had my ankle debrided last year; primarily just the ATFL and talar joint. I didn't have any bone issues, just soft tissue impingment. I was in a boot for 6 weeks. I looked at it this way, I had ligments that were skinned like a cucumber. That is pretty significant and takes some time to heal. You had bone spurs removed - essentially pieces of bone were broken off your talus and tibia. The avulsion fracture of my ankle took a solid 6 - 8 weeks to heal, just like the when I cracked my arm.

When I first heard "arthroscopy" for my ankle, my thoughts went to knee. I was more familiar with that, and had the notion of it being not much more than an office visit. I quickly figure out, not so much. They do some pretty extensive work on ankles arthroscopically.

Last edited by wilkinak; 01-17-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
(male)

saadi1786 HB User

Cheers for the advice guys. This is my first time posting in a forum and appreciate all the input I'm getting!

I will give it some time to rest and see how it goes. I am not calling it a failure just yet, but am just very sceptical especially after my hip surgery. Funnily enough, I wouldn't be surprised if my ongoing hip issue is because of my ankle, but just not something I'd associated with at the time. I am not too sure what he done...all I was told was about the bone spurs on the talus/tibia and debridement but will get more details when I see him. What I can say is that it is still pretty swollen/bruised on the medial/posterior side, sometimes it feels like it just needs to click to release all the pressure if that makes sense.

I will continue doing my stretches and movements, don't have physio till next week after I've seen him so will see what they say. It's just that it doesn't feel all that bad along the front where they removed the spurs, but the end point of my ROM is still quite rigid and where it used to be before. It doesn't feel like it's something I can just stretch through you know what I mean.

I've also been noticing some tightness in my calf, around the back of my knee. I'm finding it hard to bend the knee when walking through on that foot, even with the crutches. Will get the physio to work on it when I see her, but any stretches you guys would recommend?

Thanks for all the help once again!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

6 or 7 days out, I'd be inclined to just leave it alone for a couple more days. Get some ice, find a good book/movie and just stay off of it. Ice your knee too. Its hard, but often it's easier in the long run if you just let yourself be hurt.

Best thing that happened to my ankle lately was the flu. NyQuil and 16 or so hours in bed for a couple days and it feels better than it has in 6 months.

Give the PTs a chance to work their magic/voodoo. They have ways of making things move. (insert devil icon here)

Last edited by wilkinak; 01-18-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle arthroscopy, dorsiflexion, impingement, surgery