It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: Feeling overwhelmed b4 ankle surgery

I kept a little container of lucky charms next to my pills on the night stand, so I'd eat a few before taking the next round.
It's so funny seeing what we all do to cope with the ankle surgeries!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Oh, good point about the crackers, big help. I've had tons of red grapes and Canada Dry 10 ginger ale because water gets boring and you will need to rehydrate -- a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
(female)

deste HB Userdeste HB User

I had a slightly less intensive surgery in Oct and am glad to be where I'm at. You've gotten some great advice, so I really don't have anything great to add,except to re-enforce the need for the scooter, I also hung a little tote bag on the handlebars of mine, to hold a few things I wanted to keep handy, cell phone,kleenex,even my pain meds and some crackers, and of course a couple of chocolates. :-)
I found that my knee bothered me slightly once the surgeon put me in the boot as well as on the scooter, I had to alter the way I leaned on it.
I'm single and live alone, I didn't leave the house more than 3 or 4 times the first month.I thought I would go stir crazy, but I really didn't, I had a lot of books lined up, TV's shows DVR'd and slept a lot.
Good luck and I promise it will be behind you before you know it . I'm now almost 4 months post op and am able to take a 2 mile walk most days, but still have good days and bad. but am glad I'm where I am.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deste For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (01-22-2013), Snowrunner (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Wow, Deste, good to hear you're doing so well. Gives us something to look forward to for the Spring thaw!! Best wishes for a continued successful recovery.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Snowrunner, I remember the Keebler club crackers by the bedside for another reason...when I had morning sickness! lol OOOoooooooooooh so many years ago. lol

Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #21
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Lots of good advice!! I didn't have much of an appetite the first few weeks....but do include some fiber rich foods, fruits & veggies to ward off constipation from those pain meds...I wasn't eating & had a lot of trouble even using stool softners....it caused me to have a posterior pelvic floor prolapse, which required surgery a few weeks later. Once I started eating better & cut back on pain meds things got much better.

Good luck!! You are going to be so prepared...I know I was after all the good advice on this board!!! :-D

Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

I feel like I am going to be so much better prepared because of all the advice I'm getting than I would have been had I not found this message board! I do remember how bad the constipation was for me after my hysterectomy 4 yrs ago. I am definately going to do everything I can to prevent it this time. Sooo, I guess it's lots of fruits and veggies for me! Apples should be easy for my hubby to get me. lol

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I just scanned these replies and it looks like y'all have just about covered everything. I was thinking you are going to be hurting that first week, ok?

Is there anyway you can get a bedside commode for nbr 1 so you just have to move a little? I'm telling you it will be a Godsend. Save the larger walks for the big stuff lol! You can sometimes get them at goodwill or rent them for a couple weeks or borrow.

Plus when you're gonna be up I'd have a good shoe that ties on the good leg to keep from slipping. Trust me, been there done that, especially at PT.

It's REAL easy to twist that good knee when you are pivoting. Btw. I had Achilles' tendon reconstruction in 08. Took me 3 different sets of pt but I'm fine now. Water aerobics is what helped me.

Also, I did end up with a UTI on day 4 from not wiping correctly because its hard to balance and do all that at once. I just knew I had an infection in my foot lol!

You'll need a big plastic bag and shower chair to bath a week later, yes a week.

Found my chair at goodwill. I stayed on the sofa first floor for a month with a knee scooter my palms were real sore and my wrists. I even had a wheelchair to take a break in. Fell out of that twice leaning forward too much.

If I think of anything else. I'll let you know. Go get this done so you'll be ready for summer!!! Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 01-22-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (01-22-2013)
Closed Thread