It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
pre-op instructions?

Hello!
So while I was on the board replying to a thread about ankle surgery, I noticed everyone had different instructions for the surgery they were going to have. I found that really interesting. So what was your pre-op instructions?

For my first two surgeries they were to shower the night before and the morning of. Use that smelly soap(hibiclens) and a non scented soap for other areas. Wash my hair the night before or the morning of(i did both) No shaving of the legs the night before. No makeup, lotion, perfume, hair product or deodorant. I'm guessing they will be the same for my third surgery.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

Animal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB UserAnimal1968 HB User
Re: pre-op instructions?

Hiya
My only instructions were to shower in Hi-bi scrub, 2-3 days up till my op including the morning of. And hi-bi scrub was for everywhere???? Lol
I do remember putting some perfume onto my top that morning.
Nothing else though

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

I told them I cant stand the smell of the smelly soap(aka hibiclens) so they said just wash my feet and half way up my calf and the rest of my cleaning can be done with regular unscented soap. At the hospital they gave me a wipe to rewipe my foot.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

My only pre-op instructions were to shower as normal, including the morning of the surgery. No shaving that leg for 3 days prior, and no lotion or anything else other than soap on that leg the morning of. The nurse cleaned my foot and leg when I got to the hospital.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wonder if the leg shaving has to do with preventing infections. Cause I could shave my underarms the day of the surgery. Just no legs the night before.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had to wash with unscented soap (they wanted me to use something else but I'm sensitive to soaps so they let me off hook on that one). Didn't say anything about shaving my legs. Told me no nail polish but I ignored that one. I've had 4 surgeries in the last 10 years and I ignored that every time and no one said a thing!

No lotion on the leg and that was about it other than the usual no food, only certain meds (bp and HRT).

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
ohitscourtney (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

Hachee HB UserHachee HB UserHachee HB User

All I had to do was wash my bad leg with antibacterial soap for 5 minutes the night before. I shaved the night before... ?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I can be sensitive to scented soaps so I always use a hypo allergenic one but, the smelly soap didnt affect me so I used it. It just smelled bad. I wish I could shave the night before but, they say not too...so I dont. Plus i get itchy really easy.

I wore clear nail polish during the second one. I may or may not this time since the night before surgery I'm having my birthday dinner. I hate having nails without any polish.

I wasn't told anything about meds though.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Courtney, did you get itchy rashes from pain meds after your previous surgeries? A few weeks ago, we had several posters with that problem. You may want to ask for visterol or equivalent before you go home.

Last edited by PesCav; 01-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I didn't get a rash from the pain meds and I get visterol. I get itchy from shaving and certain soaps. I do get hot flashes after surgery which sucks.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

No special instructions for me, except no makeup, lotion, ail polish. Of course, no food or drink after midnight before surgery. Mine was first surgery of the morning, so the no eating/drinking wasn't bad. I showered night before, washed my hair. Took bath in the morning and shaved my legs, no one told me not to!! In pre-op prep the nurse gave me pre-packaged antibacterial scrubs to wash surgical leg and front of torso. She said it was hospital's protocol to do that, to reduce chance of infection. I was told to be at the hospital 2 hrs prior to surgery. The first 20-30 minutes was spent with nursing team, doing pre-op vitals, getting into gown, etc. Anesthesia team did nerve blocks, which have to be done at least 30 minutes before surgery. The two hours went by quickly!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

My instructions were the same as yours but said I could use Dial antibacterial soap also. No aspirin or other blood thinninng meds for 2 weeks prior... I was put on Lovenox injections & coumadin after surgery as I have had a PE a few years ago.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah I had the prepackage wipe for my second surgery. I use dial soap too, its the one that doesn't get me all itchy. They didn't do my nerve block on me while I was awake though...

Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Mine also said no make-up, lotion, deoderant, nail polish, and no eating or drinking after midnight. I was given 2 packets of liquid hibiclens to use, one the night before and one the day of. The night before I took a relaxing bath and shaved (wasn't told not to) and my instructions may have said to do it...and used the cleanser, and then in the morning I did my normal shower, hair wash, and then the cleanser. Since I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 am, we had to leave the house around 4:30 am. So I didn't care how bad I looked! I threw on some yoga pants t-shirt, nikes, and was out the door.
In pre-op the asked me if I used the hibiclens. And then did vitals, anesthesia came and talked to me, and then their "block team" talked to me about doing a nerve block, i originally wasn't going to since I've had bad luck but went ahead with it. So a resident anesthesiologist did my IV, hooked me up to the monitors. They gave me some versed, and then of course the OS came in to talk to me as I'm getting loopy, signed my ankle, and left, and then the block team did my 2 blocks. I was pretty awake for them, but didn't feel much pain. As soon as that was over, they wheeled me to the OR and that was it!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohitscourtney View Post
I wonder if the leg shaving has to do with preventing infections. Cause I could shave my underarms the day of the surgery. Just no legs the night before.
Yep, that's exactly what they said, that if you nick yourself and don't realize it, and it gets infected you won't know because it's under the dressing. Haven't nicked myself shaving in many years, but I guess there's always a chance!

Closed Thread