It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User
Lightbulb Post Op leg elevation suggestions?

I want to get some sort of foam wedge to help keep my leg elevated after my ankle surgery. I saw one that seems to me like it would be pretty helpful...it had a "track" to put you leg in with foam sides that come up on either side of the calf. I feel like this would be helpful in keeping my leg in place and elevated while I sleep, as well as making sure hubby doesn't accidentally kick my cast in his sleep.

What did everyone use to elevate? I hate stacking pillows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
I used a basic orthopedic foam wedge that was 12 inches high... I did like laying a pillow along the diagonal... It was soft and kept my foot from hanging off of the edge.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

Amethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB UserAmethy5t HB User
Re: Post Op leg elevation suggestions?

I had the foam thing you are describing when I was in hospital post surgery. I found it good for keeping my foot in place, though it did get pretty hot! Also the one I had didn't help much with the elevation. You really need to keep your foot above the level of your heart ("toes above nose") for a least the first couple of weeks. At home I had a firm wedge-shaped pillow, big enough for both legs, which was fab. I used it in bed and on the sofa. I agree stacking pillows is not much fun. I did that after my first surgery, and I have to say that the wedge pillow was a great investment. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Thanks so much Amethy. That was really helpful info. I didn't think about my leg getting hot in the track type wedge. I think it would work well for sleeping though. I will have to look for the kind of wedge shaped pillow you mentioned. I would like something I could put both legs up on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Mine is big enough for both legs and that was nice. If I didn't want to elevate both legs, I just scoot it over...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I was really comfy using pillows, and slept in the recliner. Sofa with pillows during the day.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
(female)

How many pillows do you need to get your leg up past heart? I guess I could just go try it out. lol But it seems easier to just ask an expert who's done it already.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

I was really different!! In hospital, I had a small bean bag but it kept sagging. When I got home I had a spare doona (quilt) that I folded up and it gave me the same height as about 3 pillows without sagging - and I didn't have to balance pillows on top of each other. It worked for me for the period of time I needed it for.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

For the last two surgries I had I just stacked fluffy pillows. I used 2 or 3 new pillows and then one of my pillow pets. I never had much of a problem with my stack of pillows cause I wasn't moving my leg a ton..

For my upcoming surgery I wanted to find a full body pillow but I'm not having much luck. I might have to order one. Cause sometimes my knee gets crampy

Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I used a 4 or 5" couch cushion, uncovered, with 2 or 3 pillows on top on the couch. The cats thought it was fantastic. Biggest problem I had was seeing the TV around my foot. My other favorite was to pile the pillows on top of the cat condo (a small one) while I sat on the couch or chair.

In bed, I did 2 under my foot, one under my knee. It's nice to have couple firm pillows mixed in with the squishy ones.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
(female)

I love how creative everyone gets with the things they use to elevate the ankle and leg! lol I finally settled on a basic 10" high foam wedge that I can put both my legs up on if I want. I figured that would help me with my knees, too. I've had 3 knee scopes done on my left knee (left ankle is going to have the surgery) and 2 on my right knee and the most recent was on the right knee in Sept 2012. I just finished PT on that knee to strengthen my quad muscle because I was using my hamstring instead of the quad and then my knee cap was popping off track. I fear, as does my PT guy, that my right leg that will be having to do all the work while I'm NWB on the left is going to suffer. I hope the high, wide wedge will help both my knees with all the elevating and rest. Here's hoping. I am so grateful for all the wonderful advice and positive energy everyone has been giving me!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei51 View Post
I want to get some sort of foam wedge to help keep my leg elevated after my ankle surgery. I saw one that seems to me like it would be pretty helpful...it had a "track" to put you leg in with foam sides that come up on either side of the calf. I feel like this would be helpful in keeping my leg in place and elevated while I sleep, as well as making sure hubby doesn't accidentally kick my cast in his sleep.

What did everyone use to elevate? I hate stacking pillows.
Hi lauralei, I think that you have tons of suggestions here but I wanted to add one thing. When my nephew broke both legs we elevated them on pillows & he kept complaining about his heels so took him to dr & he had pressure sores on both heels! Appalled we felt so bad. In light of that i would use the softest pillow on top of the wedge & hang my heels off the pillow by adjusting it just under bottom of calves & frequent turning to keep the pressure from constantly being on back & back of leg being very careful to support under the knees & not hyper extending them. Thank you, i hope that you do well, God bless you.

Last edited by gmak; 01-22-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typos, wording

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
lauralei51 (01-21-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

I just used a long body pillow. It was simple and supported the entire leg and knee. When on the couch, I often just propped my leg up on the top of the back of the couch. It keeps it nice and high.

Last edited by wants to walk; 01-22-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Closed Thread