It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Going backwards...

Hey all,
I've been FWB for about a month (surgery, the usual tendon transfer, heel shift, arch rebuilt and Achilles lengthening was 9/25/12), in an ankle brace for 2 weeks. I've been in PT for 4 weeks and was doing really well. Last Friday they had me do theraband stretches side to side for the first time. Oh Lord! It was like I went back 4 weeks! Lots of pain when I walk, swollen and holding on to furniture as I walk by. Anybody else experience this? Does it last long?
On a side note, my mom took a bad fall and is bedridden (and I mean bedridden) for 6 weeks. We are trying to care for her in her home but it means a lot more walking (the twisty-turny hard kind) and a less rest and icing for me. Have to try to do better with that.
Thanks for any replies and all you new post ops, I've been following all your posts. Y'all are doing great!
Ginger

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User
Re: Going backwards...

Ginger, i am sorry to hear about this setback. Hang in there, remember to take care of yourself as well as your mom. Can you get more help in? I know it is easier said than done, but you need to lighten your load right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! I start PT this week and on the one hand I hope it gets me on the road to walking sooner, but on the other I know it's going to be torture! I went to PT before having surgery and am using the same therapists so I hope it helps that they already know me, know my tolerance level for pain, etc.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Take care of yourself!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Thanks you guys. The mom thing sucks. It is so hard emotionally. She has not been well for a few years but was fairly independent before this.
I called into PT right after I posted. Head PT seems to think that resistance band used was too strong ( black, cuz that's what I use for up and down). So, lots of ice and keep it moving so lactic acid doesn't build up. Makes me feel better.
NC girl, don't be scared of PT...it helps so much! I think we just got a little gabby and weren't paying attention.
Ginger

Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she's getting better.

I've never been to PT but I'm scared to do it for my upcoming surgery. I don't want them to mess up my foot or make it super sore..

Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Oh Ginger I'm so sorry. PT is hard. I remember walking in with one crutch one week and being on two the next without any weight-bearing... Yesterday I walked on one crutch and felt great. Even felt good at bedtime.

Then came 2:30AM and it still hurts this morning.

This healing process is such a roller-coaster...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Oh Ginger, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. You certainly have our hands full. You need to take care of yourself, as well. You've been through a lot and are still recovering. You have to make time to elevate and ice, or you won't be able to help your Mom. I know it's easier said than done. Hope you both feel better!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Hi Ginger,wow recovering and taking care of you MoM that's a lot to deal with. I feel for you. What color theraband were you using? I'm on orange/dark green..side to side is a killer.What I like doing better is lying on my side in bed, and pressing the side of my foot into the mattress. I started with a pillow. My surgery was 6 days before yours, a few different procedures. My recheck is Wed. Having some issues with heel tilt and weight bearing on side of foot. Ugg.. What else do they have you doing in PT and how many sessions do you get.? I'm done at 18/2months.i feel I need more.
Hope your foot recovers quickly from the stress.

The following user gives a hug of support to Troly59:
PesCav (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Troly, I saw your post this morning before I got up and tried the "bed stretch" (albeit very gently) was much better than the theraband! I am using the black one for up and down and now I'm second guessing myself as to what color was used for side to side...black? Maybe blue? I have an excellent therapist...just can't remember.
I have 30 visits allowed by my insurance. I'm at about 15 and already thinking about how to ration them. I can't imagine having only 18. My issues are a little different as I have had problems for going on 6 years and have been walking incorrectly to compensate. Currently doing balancing on bad foot, leg and toe presses (the toe presses don't go anywhere, believe me). Tried toe raises the other day, kind of depressing, but I can feel a tiny bit of push from my bad foot. Also nice to see my calf muscle starting to come back. It's just so hard to find the time right now to do exercises on my own like I need too.
Thanks everyone for the support. It helps.

Closed Thread