It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
What's best for scars?

Since I'm the proud new owner of 5 beautiful scars on my foot and calf, I want to do what i can to minimize the scarring. After a couple of heavenly showers, without going into the gory details, I think the incisions are at a point where I can start using something on them. So what's best? I've heard a few different things - from good ol' vitamin e to some of the name brand products out there. I know I'm going to have a fair amount of scarring no matter what, but if I can make it a little better, I want to give it a shot!

I did notice this morning that the scar from the calf lenghtening is right on top of an old scar I've had since college, so I look at that one as a wash, since the new scar now covers the old scar!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User
Re: What's best for scars?

I've used vitamin E oil on 2 previous surgery scars and I think that's the best. Some people buy the capsules and pop them open. If you go into any major drug store you can buy a bottle of the straight oil. Since I work in a drug store, there are people who swear by Bio-oil. Also some people use Scar Away or Mederma.
I'll probably use the traditional vitamin E oil like I always have, and my scars are hardly noticeable. Also make sure to massage the scar when applying the oil.
Good luck!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

[QUOTE=NCgirl96;5120672]Since I'm the proud new owner of 5 beautiful scars on my foot and calf, I want to do what i can to minimize the scarring. After a couple of heavenly showers, without going into the gory details, I think the incisions are at a point where I can start using something on them. So what's best? I've heard a few different things - from good ol' vitamin e to some of the name brand products out there. I know I'm going to have a fair amount of scarring no matter what, but if I can make it a little better, I want to give it a shot!

I did notice this morning that the scar from the calf lenghtening is right on top of an old scar I've had since college, so I look at that one as a wash, since the new scar now covers the old scar![/QUOTE]

Hi , My PT said that rubbing gently along the scar breaks up scar tissue. She has been doing that during each session which is now finished and I do it at night while watching TV. My 2 tripe A scars are not that bad but the one from the Achilles lengthening is nasty looking and has a bump from where the DR cut and lengthened. PT did say that scar did get better though. I did read the vit E is good for the scar but haven't used it.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I never used anything on any of mine - 3 foot surgeries and gallbladder removal - and all are so faded you can't see them. But many swear by the vitamin E oil and/or mederma.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

My dr said the same about rubbing/massaging them. He said the more I can do that the more it will help - not only for the scarring but the healing as well. The one on my calf and the one inside my ankle don't look too bad, they are already starting to fade, but the one on my heel and the two on the outside of my ankle are really gross. I know they need more time to heal but I figure if I can help the process along, why not?

Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

I started using Vit E Cream and then switched to Bio Oil - which has been fantastic for me and for my scars. And definitely massaging them has helped with the healing.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

I swear by Bio-Oil. Mom had 7 weeks of radiation of her face and neck, as part of cancer treatment, resulting in terrible burns to the area, and scarring. Someone at hospital told me to use Bio-Oil on the scarring, as that's what the hospital used on burn patients. Worked SOOOOO well to reduce scarring. With my last surgery, my scar faded with time, going from yucky looking to barely visible. Of course, new incision is on top of old one, and then some, so not sure how much this one will fade.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

I went to the store tonight and ended up getting Bio-Oil...then I read all these replies, sounds like it was a good choice!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Good choice! Hope you have terrific results!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I had a borderline 2nd degree burn on my hand this summer. Mederma cream did a great job on it. There's some discoloration, but the skin is smooth as can be. I used Target's knock off Mederma on my ankle scars. It didn't work as well. After a year though, they are finally fading. Just in time for me to add more.

Closed Thread