It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
(male)

barefootdreams HB User
PTTD Surgery approaching, Questions!

Hey guys and gals!
Any help from more experienced PTTD ankle and foot folks appreciated.
Scheduled for posterior tibial tendon surgery in less then two weeks including calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer and extension of the outside bone in my foot (still figuring out terminology).
Sooo questions:
1) Anyone have a strong view on use of bone from yourself (hip crest) or using donor/cadaver bone? Obvs one is your own but it adds to surgery and area for infection
2) Give me some hope! I was extremely active until a few months ago when this rapidly progressed. Played contact sports, rock climbing, wind surfing etc. Anyone managed to get back to things more active then walks? Anything slightly "impacty"? I know there are a range of outcomes but want to hear the dream.
Thanks for any help!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Hey barefootdreams... I can't comment on your specific procedure, but can say good luck with your decision and surgery!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery approaching, Questions!

Hi barefoot, I had a pretty similar surgery Oct. 26...not sure how much bone you need but in my surgery they used bone drilled out of my heel where they inserted 2 screws. I'm not exactly sure where my bone graft is...I think it was in the top of my foot. It is going to be a long recovery. Dr finally cleared me to start pwb, using crutches....but that means I am back in the boot....ugh...

You are lucky to have the surgery now....I am assuming you are young since you said you were so active. It took me 8 years of pain until I found a surgeon who could do this surgery. You can imagine how my activity level has dropped off. I would love to be able to jump, to play volleyball & basketball again....to enjoy a long walk....heck, right now I'd be happy to walk the 10 feet to my bathroom!!!!

There is lots of good advice in the posts here....look up some about post surgery, but don't let it scare you....just be prepared. The Drs say 6 to 8 weeks nwb....but don't Expect to take off running at 8 weeks....every one recovers differently so you may get lucky, but best to prepare yourself....I've been 3 months nwb....it gets discouraging, but I am hoping for the best....good luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #4
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Barefootdreams, welcome to the messed up foot board. Noticed you are a male. Not many of you are on here so we/I would be interested in your story of what happened to your foot. Everyone here has a different beginning to their foot downfall and collectively we all hold a wealth of worthwhile medical info on symptoms, treatments, diagnosis, and surgeries and DR's. This is a great place for support for a difficult surgery and long........recovery.
I am at 4.5 months post op this week. I'm currently walking with compression hose, ankle brace,and sneaker, a slow pace and slight limp and a time limit of about 4-5 hours of standing/walking, until the pain sets in and I'm down with the Ice, elevation for an hour. I have not been able to return to my very physical 100% standing job. I have six weeks left to make a miraculous recovery, and I'm starting to panic. I have had 18sessions/2 months of PT which is to end, and I seem to need more. I was also very active. A fun trip to Mexico got me into my foot trouble.
IT's a long road ....... I did not have the wedge done, so I can't comment,but there are ladies here that have had. Wishing you a successful surgery.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
(female)

Troly59 HB UserTroly59 HB User

Barefootdreams, welcome to the messed up foot board. Noticed you are a male. Not many of you are on here so we/I would be interested in your story of what happened to your foot. Everyone here has a different beginning to their foot downfall and collectively we all hold a wealth of worthwhile medical info on symptoms, treatments, diagnosis, and surgeries and DR's. This is a great place for support for a difficult surgery and long........recovery.
I am at 4.5 months post op this week. I'm currently walking with compression hose, ankle brace,and sneaker, a slow pace and slight limp and a time limit of about 4-5 hours of standing/walking, until the pain sets in and I'm down with the Ice, elevation for an hour. I have not been able to return to my very physical 100% standing job. I have six weeks left to make a miraculous recovery, and I'm starting to panic. I have had 18sessions/2 months of PT which is to end, and I seem to need more. I was also very active. A fun trip to Mexico got me into my foot trouble.
IT's a long road ....... I did not have the wedge done, so I can't comment,but there are ladies here that have had. Wishing you a successful surgery.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I had the same surgery you mentioned 7 weeks ago, plus calcaneal osteotomy and calf lengthening. As for the bone graft, I have cadaver bone. My dr never mentioned an option to use my own, though I know from reading it was a possibility.

I obviously can't speak yet to long term results or how much activity I was able to return to. I was fairly active before surgery, and am very anxious to find out what happens long term.

It is a hard surgery and hard recovery. I was fortunate that I didn't have a lot of pain afterwards, but the recovery period NWB is long and tedious. I just got the cast off on Friday and got the go ahead to start weight bearing in the boot as I can tolerate. Honestly I think this is more frustrating than the NWB time. I am not patient, and I want to be done with crutches and walking on my own, but I know I need to give my foot time. I just can't do it yet.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Hi,
I'm 5 weeks post op for the same procedures you are having as well as several others. I did have a bone graft using my own from my hip. They also used my own marrow spun down into plasma. Personally, I preferred to use my own and my OS had said that is always their first preference.

My scar is approx 2 inches. All the literature talks of discomfort at the site. I used I e packs for 3 days in the hospital. 5 weeks later it is still a bit sore. Time will heal.
I had my surgery at HSS in NY.
Happy to answer any questions. This board is wonderful!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Hi barefoot dreams, I also live in Connecticut and am now seven weeks post op. I had my surgery done in New York at hospital for special surgery. I am still nonweightbearing, But I'm going to New York tomorrow for a cast change. The doctor did a bone graft from my iliac crest. I'm looking forward to seeing my foot. I had pins and screws and bone graft and Achilles lengthening. They told me about 10 weeks non-weight bearing. Be sure to get ready for the surgery by preparing your home. Be sure to rent a knee scooter and get a toilet seat that is high enough so you can sit. They provided me with a walker when I left the hospital. I also rented a wheelchair. I borrowed a seat for the shower. And I got the cast cover at medical supply. Also I bought a wedge so that my foot would be above my heart. I never used crutches. Just the knee scooter with a basket. And don't let them send you home from the hospital too soon. If you needed extra day in the hospital Insist upon it. Where are you having it done? Good luck and be sure to let us know. Where in Connecticut are you?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
(male)

Newlyshiftfoot HB User

Hi Barefoot Dream, I had a Calcaneal Osteotomy, ligament, and tendon repair on 12/19. I started partial weight bearing Friday. I'm walking in the boot now no problem and no pain, nothing in my ankle or heel. My doc told me no soccer for a year, i.e. cutting type running, but I can get back to hiking, snowboarding etc much sooner. I've heard and read of some horror stories on the heel shift but I've been fortunate to have a very quick recovery. Follow your doctors orders and stay ahead of the pain, also I was very meticulous about my diet, not sure it helped but I cut out the majority of anything processed starting a week or two prior to surgery and I am healing pretty well and quickly. Good luck!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Newlyshiftfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
(male)

barefootdreams HB User

Snow, Tender, Troly, NC, ex, pesher, Newly:
Thanks for such helpful replies!

Ex and Pesher Ė I too am using HSS.

Pesh I am in Stamford.

Doc says own bone is best but its really the only choice in this whole thing I have so Iím still considering.

Im late 30ís but was very active, exercising or competing ~6 days/week.

It sounds a bit grim on here Ė nobody reporting a return to a very active lifestyle. I know itís a long haul I just wish I was hearing more on these boards of a chance to get back to competitive sports.

Oh well!

Any other advice?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I am also in my late 30s, was relatively active prior to developing the pain in my foot. My dr says my age should contribute to a more successful recovery, but of course I can't attest to that yet. He did tell me that running is probably out of the question in the future but most other activities should be okay. It took me a long time to wrap my mind around the thought of never running again, but considering I wasn't able to run before surgery either, I am hopeful the surgery will at least give me the other parts of my life back.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #12
(female)

Minnh HB User

Hi Barefoot,
I am also considering similar surgery, and have lived for many years with foot pain. I used to be a runner, which probably got me into this mess in the first place. My Dr. told me very definitely that if I had the surgery I could never run again, but should be able to take a 2-3 mile walk with no pain. Right now I can't even take a half mile walk without pain! I think every case might be different, however. He also said running is the worst thing you can do to your feet.
Good luck to you!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
I think part of the no return issue - is that on e you are recovered you don't feel the need to post here. I know I'm a repeater (two surgeries... The failed part was a surprise issue found in the initial surgery and planned for part succeeded well...) but there was a several month long period of time I thought I was doing well so I didn't even think of posting...

So keep your spirits up. I will run again. Or do my triathlons. Or find some other way to be active if I can't. For now, my goal is to be smart and give my foot the time it needs to heal and not be in a hurry to go fast. I'm kind of in the stage where weight bearing is starting to happen (took longer than I thought compared to last time) and now is the crucial time... It's easy to forget my one crutch and think I'm fine... Or go a long long school hallway (I'm a kinder teacher) without both... And that's when injury can happen...

So take it slow and post here when you're frustrated. And promise yourself to come back and post an update when you are doing well for those going through this. That's my promise...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
(male)

barefootdreams HB User

Thanks guys! I agree, need to come back here and post even if/once fully recovered to give hope.
I am still wondering on the bone issue (whether to take from own hip or cadaver donor). May start a thread on that...
8 days to go...

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

Does anyone know how long or how often I am supposed to stand with 30 lbs of pressure on this booted foot? The PA, nor Dr told me ... Just stand. I am sure my doctor did a great job but the after instructions are not good. I emailed the PA, but she won't reply until Monday. I am starting week 8. Instructions said stand with 30 lbs pressure. I figured it out on the scale. I know you are not doctors out there but just wondering what your experiences have been at this point in the recovery. Thanks. Phyllis in CT.

Closed Thread

Tags
calcaneal, fdl, osteotomy, pttd, tendon