It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
Post surgery Cellulitis

Last Thursday nite, I woke up at 1:00 am with terrible pain coming from my incision. I've been PWB, and thought that maybe I had done too much with my foot the pain was a result of too much use. Plus, I've been getting the painful nerve blasts at nite, and thought the pain was a combination of the two issues. I ended up taking a pain pill, but couldn't fall back asleep till about 5am. the pain was coming from deep inside the foot. I had the same pain Friday nite. After my bath on Sat morning, I noticed there was a place at the top of my incision which was very red and sore to the touch, Sunday, it was worse. By Monday, the pain was worse, there really red aa had turned to a purple raised area, about the size of an pencil eraser. Called the dr, PA saw me that afternoon, and said it was cellulitis. I'm on strong antibiotics, 3 times/day. My concern is that it doesn't look any better yet, and continues to be very painful. Has anyone experimented this with any of your surgeries?

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Btrfli1
Erie0385 (01-23-2013), exdancer2 (01-26-2013), PesCav (01-24-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
Oh sweetie! I've not experienced this. I am so sorry. I hope you get your answers.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowrunner For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (01-23-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

Lpittman HB UserLpittman HB User
Re: Post surgery Cellulitis

Which incision site? I have been on strong antibiotics 4xs per day as well for my pressure ulcer. The heel area is notoriously slow to heal due to poor blood supply.

Be sure and eat lots of yogurt. It will be helpful with the antibiotics. My wound care dr also put me on a special diet - including protein 6xs per day and wanted me to take adult gummy vitamins. Zinc is also very important to all of this healing.

Also, My night time jolts are all over (makes my toes curl). They are horrid and sometimes the pain meds don't work. I totally understand how you feel.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

So sorry! I can relate to the nerve & incision pain. The scars on the outside of my ankle are the worst! I can't sleep at night because I can't lay it on the bed with such burning. I have been propping my leg on a contour pillow with that part of my foot between another contour pillow so that it doesn't touch anything...ugh....hope your infection cle ars quickly.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
(male)

jobert HB User

Hi, i can relate to what you are living, 3 years ago i had cellulitis in my left knee and it came out of nowhere, very fast within a couple hours, i was put on intravenous antibiotics, the machine would come on every 8 hours, i learned that if not threated it could have developed into the flesh eating disease,, hope things are now under control for you and wishing you all the best.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User

Lpitt, I had ankle reconstruction, so my incision is on outside of ankle from above ankle bone down side of foot, towards little toe. Cellulitis is at top of incision, above ankle bone. My jolts begin in this area and run diagonally to heel. My concern is that the cellulitis started inside and festered until it erupted to where I can see it now. The pain at this site is still intense, the rest of the incision is healing well. Tks for the yogurt and zinc suggestions.

I hope you are all getting some relief from the jots and pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
Lpittman (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB UserPesCav HB User

Wow, more bad infection news. I am so sorry to hear about this development, as I know we all are because it's something we all actively worry about. I hope this quickly gets eliminated, along with Laura's ulcer.

I have a cellulitis story with a happy ending to share, you probably need one! My youngest, now 18, got cellulitis from an infected baby tooth when he was about 6 -- or was he younger? Gah, the mind is a terrible thing to lose. We spent a week in the hospital, and had to have several baby teeth pulled before it was over, but it did end, successfully. Looking back, I remember it like yesterday even tho it was over a decade ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to PesCav For This Useful Post:
Lpittman (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Wow, poor little guy! I'm sure that was scary as heck for you all. I just can't imagine how painful it was for him. Glad to know everything worked out well.

If this doesn't look any better by tomorrow, I'm gonna call dr. I know the antibiotics need time to work, but I would think it should be looking better, by tomorrow. I hate to bug him, but the pain hasn't subsided and it doesn't look any better. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Laura, I hope your ulcer is healing. That must be very painful. Thinking of you and hope you're more comfortable.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
(female)

Thx y'all! I need the pick me ups this morning - as I am sure we all do!

One of my dr's called to try and have me come in today - they think the bad weather here tomorrow will force them to close. My husband is hiring for a new position in his department and has interviews set up on the hour all afternoon so I guess we will cross our fingers that tomorrow works out. I think I will have a total mental breakdown if I have to wait until sometime next week to be seen. I know everyone understands that point you get to when you are at the end of your rope.

Anyhoo....I think we all know that this too shall pass, however when you are in the moment it is so easy to loose heart and let fear take over. (Which is much easier to do when you are working on week 5 of bed rest - they don't want me falling) I know the sharing and support received on these boards helps us get through.

Oh, btrfli - don't forget the protein! Your body really needs it to heal. Try some protein shakes or Luna protein bars.

Much love and thx to all of you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lpittman For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
(female)

PamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB UserPamS1970 HB User

Sorry to hear about the infection! I am diabetic so it is a concern for me. My ex had cellulitis from a dog scratch in his calf. Did not get better without IV antibiotics. I would push for that if it doesn't get better soon!! Good luck and prayers sent for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to PamS1970 For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Tks, Pam. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on it. I thought I was really doing well, pain level was tolerable, except for the nite jolts, and I was tolerating PWB. Dr told me two weeks ago, at last appt, that I could be PWB as tolerated, so I was doing more each day. Now, with this, I feel I've gone backwards. Very discouraging. Also, I had tripped with my crutches, broke a toe on my good leg. Dr xrayed two weeks ago, confirmed break, second time I'd broken this toe. Anyway, he xrayed again on Tues and break is not healing.
LP, I can definitely relate to your fear and frustration. I hope you can be seen tomorrow. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to do the same for you all.

The following user gives a hug of support to Btrfli1:
Lpittman (01-24-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Btrfli1 For This Useful Post:
Lpittman (01-24-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

Hey Jeanne, how is your foot doing with the cellulitis? I've been thinking of you! How's the PWB? I feel like I was doing better in the waking cast, and I'm finding it harder in the boot!
Erin
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Hi Erin, thanks for checking on me. I am feeling better, cellulitis looks better, I slept pain free last nite without taking a pain pill, so I feel good after a good nite's sleep. I'm doing good with PWB, I think. I'm btwn 50 and 60% weight, my dr told me I could go PWB as much as I could tolerate, so I'm trying to do more each day. I didn't have a walking cast, went straight from normal cast to the boot. Your boot has air chambers, right? Try adjusting the air, by increasing and decreasing until you find the best comfort and support level for you. This will chg due to more or less swelling, so you might have do this several times a day. How are you doing otherwise? Don't push too hard! Jeanne

Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Erie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB UserErie0385 HB User

I'm glad your doing better! I've played with the air chambers some. But most of my pain is from the bottom of my foot. Sitting, it feels fine, and as soon as my foot hits the ground it hurts, but the longer I'm on it, it eases some. I'm not pushing too hard, since my dr refused to release me back to work yet. So I'm hoping after my Feb 18 appt I'll be released. Since I have this extra time, he said to take WBing slow. If I get to the point in 3 weeks, I want to ditch the crutches I can. If I'm not comfortable with it, I can use them. That made me feel good!
12/2012 Arthroscopy, impingement removed with Brostrom-Evans procedure

Old 01-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
(female)

Erin....I have read that gel shoe inserts really help the heel pain...you can find them at Walmart, Target or the drug store. They are thin and can slip right into the boot.

Jeanne.....So glad to hear you are better... Pain free nights are a dream come true!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lpittman For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (01-26-2013)
Closed Thread